anyone gone Phuket before ? please advise which place is the best to take photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leahcim2000

Aug 29, 2009
Woodlands
hi guys,

I'm planning to go Phuket Thailand on the 22 Jan. on this day, me and wife will celebrate our
5th wedding anniversary and i was hoping that we could get some great photos from this place. anyone whose been there before please do advice which place is the best to take photos. your help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance! ;)

You want a vibrant (crowded) beach, go Patong.

You want a quiet beach, go Kata, Kata Noi, or the less popular beaches up in the north.

You want a beach somewhere in between Patong and Kata, go Karon.

There are also boat trips to outlying islands.

If you want something like chinatown, try Phuket Town.

Skip the zoo, its in horrible state. Maybe try the gibbon rehab area instead.

For lookout points, there is promthep cape, which is understandably crowded though.

Phi Phi Island is Amazing... Best place in Phuket...

For nice Sunset photo, you can go sunset point... check out the tourist maps.. It is a nice place to take sunset.

For nice island and beach shots, you can try phi phi and the smaller southern islands. They run day trips to those places. of cos if u want to take temples, there are quite a few on the island itself.

If you intend to take photos or sightsee, it is cheaper to rent a car for the day or 2 and drive around urself.

Just went in dec 09 :) hope the info helps

To go to Phi Phi Island, we should stop at Phuket or somewhere else?

How long does it take to go to Phi Phi Island?

U can stop at phuket as they have day trip to phi phi island..... a lot of agent doing trips to phi phi from phuket :) a few hours... cant remember liao... the last time i do day trip to phi phi is 3 years back... haha.... last dec i went on a liveabroad :) so cant help u there

Last edited:

phi phi island is like a 45min travel on a fastcraft from the pier that the tour group takes you, i remembered paying 750bht for that trip, starts in the morning at 730 in the am and ends at i think 5pm in the evening, its a beautiful place to head to and also make sure you go in something that you are willing to get wet in like beach shorts because they cater time for you to try out snorkelling there, the corals are not very amazing to be honest but still a fun experience nonetheless.

you should visit promthepe cape for the sunsets, its literally the edge of phuket and its really beautiful, had walked 15mins on rough terrain to get on the rocks, inches away from the water for a good shot and it was well worth.

also do visit the big buddha if you could because i thought it was extremely calming place away from the whole touristy area of patong beaches

There is a thread of Thailand (talking about Phuket) and Phuket somewhere in the final few pages.
Basically, when you reach Phuket, walk around, there are a lot travel agents along the streets (of Patong beach). Compare price, choose the one you like.

Phi Phi is a day trip, usually depart early from your hotel (they will pick you up) say 7 am, return 6 pm.

Hi,

Congrats on 5th wedding anniversary!

Just back from Phuket last weekend, share some of my experience with you:

- Patong beach is dirty and crowded, if you want nicer beach go to Karon or Kata. (seems like Karon area is a good place to stay, i stayed at Kata beach area, also not too bad)

- Many day trips to Phi Phi island. But i think no longer the 750bht someone mentioned. I saw some shops advertising for around 1400bht. I took a package with JC tours for 1700bht each (a little ex?), includes airport transfer in (which would cost around 350-600bht depending on where you stay). The standard tour will bring you to a few places, Khai Island (can do a little snorkelling, nice colorful beach chairs there), Phi Phi Don (larger island in Phi Phi cluster where you will likely have lunch there), Phi Phi Ley (can jump off boat for snorkelling, Maya Bay (where "The Beach" is filmed, nice place but can't snorkel there so just laze on beach and walk around take photo. Along the way there are some very short stops like a monkey beach (see some monkeys) and a viking cave (where people pick bird's nest). Be warned that they pack people on the boat so if it's a 2-engine speedboat there will be around 35 people and 3-engine boat around 48 people. quite squeezy! Suggest you wear your swimwear inside for the day.

- Standard place to get a view of Phuket is Karon View point, sunset is at Promthep Cape. Last week sunset is around 6pm-6.45pm, but people gather there early to get a good spot. Some mozzies there so bring some repellent! You would need to engage a driver to bring you around. Reasonable day rate is around 400-600 i think. Some people go to the Chalong temple and the Big Buddha, but i didn't go (i saw some scaffolding around the big buddha from a distance so i figured it's under renovation) To buy some foodstuff back, can visit the cashew nut factory. You can skip the pearl factory and diamond factory, but according to advice from another CSer, the driver gets some petrol coupons if he brings you there so you can just be nice and pop in then out quickly.

- Bring sunblock and a hat/cap, especially if you don't want your anniversary gift to wife to be a bad sunburn! the sun is blistering hot there!

hope the info is useful!

Maybe a little tip if its your first time to Phuket and you are taking a taxi to your hotel from the airport.

Avoid the taxi touts immediately outside the airport exit, turn to your right and find a stand with the sign "taxi meter". The prices there are regulated and cheaper.

thanks guys! i really appreciate your help. i hope everythings gonna turn out real well. wish me luck and i hope i can post some good photos when i come back. lols!

cheers!:sweatsm:

hi guys,

I'm planning to go Phuket Thailand on the 22 Jan. on this day, me and wife will celebrate our
5th wedding anniversary and i was hoping that we could get some great photos from this place. anyone whose been there before please do advice which place is the best to take photos. your help is greatly appreciated. thanks in advance! ;)

The old bits of Phuket town are very interesting - very Chinese with a lot of ungentrified shophouses, if you like that kind of atmosphere, which I do.

Patong and its immediate environment is a concrete hell, unless you want to capture the atmosphere of girlie bars. Karon and Kata are more appealing, but the best thing to do is rent a vehicle and drive round the island. It's quite possible.

All the boat tours will give you shots of interesting limestone islands and rock formations.

Phuket has been rather spoiled over the last 20-30 years, but not as much as Koh Samui and you can still find some very nice scenes.

And the Thais are still as friendly as ever and don't seem to mind being photographed.

From Phuket you can take a 1 day tour package to Phi Phi Island....

Power!! Must go into the water and see the fishes and Corels.

You can skip james Bond island ... waste of time...

Don't take this type of boat... slowww.... seasick prone people must avoid!
web.jpg

Take this type instead.
web.jpg

Remember to bring polariser and ND!
web.jpg

Try not to stay at patong... it's quite dirty and sleazy... not ideal for anniversary...

Top 10 Best Tours in Phuket
The winners

Phuket has so much to see, visit and experience that it takes a good tactician to take it all in and plan ahead. Introducing Phuket.com's Top Ten Tours. Here you'll have a preview of the hottest tours available with a brief description of what they're about. From elephants at FantaSea to playing the same green as Tiger Woods to dining on a Chinese junk, it's all here and much, much more. Enjoy!

Full Day Phi Phi Island Tour by Speedboat

phiphi.htm

Our Number One tour gets you away from it all to one of the world's most beautiful islands and its surroundings in a matter of minutes. While everyone else is on their way to Phi Phi you're already there, island hopping, dropping in on the monkeys at Ao Ling, snorkeling the crystal clear waters in Hin Klang, and enjoying a fabulous lunch buffet on Phi Phi Island itself.

After lunch relax for an hour of two, get some shopping in and then check out beautiful Maya Bay, where 'The Beach' was filmed and also where tropical fish swarm around you as you swim among them.

Similan Island Stopover

similan-stopover.htm

It takes just 90 minutes to reach the Similans from Phang Nga Province. Majestic rock formations and lush verdant jungle await you with a marine life as rich and varied as it is world famous.

The diving and snorkeling at this nine-island archipelago is legendary and all this is augmented by the fact that there's absolutely no hurry to leave. You're here for the night so let the sounds, sensations and the atmosphere of these magical islands sink in and work its magic.

Phang Nga Bay Cruise on June Bahtra Junk

junebahtra.htm

Our Number Three tour comprises good food, fantastic seascape and leisurely cruising; surely the hottest recipe going for a great day out. There are several ways to visit the majesty of Phang Nga Bay but this, cruising in a genuine Chinese junk, is the most laid back and idyllic way.

Visit a sea gypsy village perched above the water on stilts at the top of the bay, check out the 'Man with the Golden Gun's' lair at James Bond Island and take in some of the most impressive rock formations in the world. All this and a delicious Thai buffet, too. Superb.

Phuket FantaSea Show

fantasea.htm

It's hot, it's wild, it's the ultimate in a family evening out – it's Phuket FantaSea. Set in 140 acres of seaside opulence, FantaSea has so many attractions going that it's impossible to list them here but let's start with one of Asia's biggest buffets. Able to seat 4,000 diners, FantaSea's buffet bursts with flavour and if that's not enough there are several other nook and crannies throughout the theme park where you can snack and dine. As for the show, think Las Vegas meets Thailand where fact, fiction and fantasy intertwine and frolic for 80 dazzling minutes. Never seen a flying elephant? You can at FantaSea. This is a real full-blooded extravaganza that will leave your head spinning. Unforgettable.

Golf at Blue Canyon

bluecanyon.htm

Hit the green with the greats. If Tiger Woods says Blue Canyon is, "One of the best I have ever played on" then who are we to argue against? With 720 acres of lush greenery and the mountains of Phang Nga Bay as a backdrop as you tee off at one of the two award-winning 18-hole courses, Blue Canyon at once impresses with its easy rapport with Mother Nature.

Built around, not over Mother Nature's contours, the courses are sumptuous yet challenging. Take the family – there are great facilities, including a top-rate spa, a large swimming pool, shopping and fine dining.

Sea Kayaking Hong by Starlight

starlight.htm

The best of both worlds; Phang Nga Bay is rated tops in the 'Wow' factor by day but just imagine exploring it by night… Head off after lunch to discover the unforgettable sights of this scenic wonderland.

Dine on board your 'mother ship' and as the sun goes down paddle silently into the 'hongs' or caves of this magic domain and discover just what Mother Nature gets up to by night. Access to these hongs is only possible at certain levels of the tide so put yourself into the experienced hands of John 'Caveman' Gray and take it all in.

Whitewater Rafting and Elephant Trekking

index-rafting.htm

The watery arteries of lush Phang Nga Province, just north of Phuket, are gush down from the mountains from June to November each year and this is when you can experience the thrill of your life by whitewater rafting down them.

Everyone knows that elephants are gentle creatures and what better way to get to know them better than by gently riding through the jungle on the back of one? You'll be amazed just how dainty a powerful pachyderm can be!

Phuket Eco Extreme by ATV

atv-tours.htm

What's better than learning fascinating facts? Learning fascinating facts while having loads of adventurous fun, that's what. Zoom through the jungle, along beaches, through mud puddles while learning about the flora and fauna of Phuket. Experienced guides stop at key locations and point out unusual and interesting facets of wildlife on Phuket. The great thing about this tour is that although it's top-drawer adventure, it's very well thought out and absolutely safe as houses so take the kids along and discover more in a few hours than in days of reading about the jungle.

Khao Sok Jungle Safari Overnight Tour

elephanthills.htm

Rafting down Mountain Rivers, elephant trekking through the leafy jungle, observing wildlife in its natural habitat and witnessing the spectacle of Phang Nga Province's Ratchaprapha Dam; you can do all this on the Khao Sok Safari Overnight tour. 'Base Camp' is made up of tailor-made luxury tents and from here you can venture forth to see wildlife unique to this area – the largest tract of tropical rainforest in southern Thailand. You will never forget the majestic Ratchaprapha Dam with its Cliffside walls rising vertically out of indigo-blue water and its teeming wildlife.

Romantic Sunset Cruise & Dinner by Ayodhaya

ayodhaya-sunset.htm

Phang Nga Bay is another world by night. Its silent serenity can leave a lasting impression on you and the sense of timelessness in this beautiful place is tangible. This cruise brings out the romantic in you: watch the sun sinking behind Phuket into the Andaman as you sip a glass of wine and watch the amazing scenery float by. Enjoy a Thai buffet while drifting in the velvet darkness listening to the night's million sounds all around you. Stretch out on the cushions strewn out on deck and count the stars above.

Hi all,

Can you kindly advise me whether I should head to Phuket to purchase my island trip, or to get it online (cos one particular agency, J*C) is having a promotion at 1700baht till today.

Those recent visitors to Phuket, what is the current average price for the PhiPhi, Khai and Maya island tour?

Also, is it advisable to bring the DSLR on the island trip? Cos with all the snorkeling and all, where am I supposed to put my DSLR? Cos I read that the speedboat will be packed with people (ie. more people, more danger of camera being stolen?)

TIA! :)

if you want to go snorkelling... esp with your love one, i strongly recommend renting a private speed boat, not cheap but well worth it for the privacy and personal guide.

For DSLR, i wouldnt recommend using it for the snorkeling trip... best is to bring a spare camera, like olympus tough series, which is waterproof, drop proof :p

Hi all,

Can you kindly advise me whether I should head to Phuket to purchase my island trip, or to get it online (cos one particular agency, J*C) is having a promotion at 1700baht till today.

Those recent visitors to Phuket, what is the current average price for the PhiPhi, Khai and Maya island tour?

Also, is it advisable to bring the DSLR on the island trip? Cos with all the snorkeling and all, where am I supposed to put my DSLR? Cos I read that the speedboat will be packed with people (ie. more people, more danger of camera being stolen?)

TIA! :)

If you are going to Phuket at this time of the year. It's consider high season. The high season will end around Apr. Dun bring your DSLR if you are going to those island. You are better off bringing a PNS. Unless you have those water tight seal bag. But than again. It's not safe and the speedboat will be crowded with tourists.

I was living in Phuket for a few years. So take my advise.

Status
Not open for further replies.