Anyone gets paranoid like me while travelling?

Joelle06

May 30, 2011
Will be travelling to Europe this autumn but I get very paranoid.. With pickpockets, with transisting country, with baggage losts and the various Volcano that are due to erupt! It's agonizing!!! :sweat:

Pickpocket are really a nuisance...I keneh before in Paris..need to be very very careful...make copy of passports...use a sling travel wallet, keep everything close to you ..watch out for strangers or kids trying to get close to u.

Berkins said:
Pickpocket are really a nuisance...I keneh before in Paris..need to be very very careful...make copy of passports...use a sling travel wallet, keep everything close to you ..watch out for strangers or kids trying to get close to u.

Not just that - my friend lost her bag when some one distracted the whole train carriage by dropping a far bit of coins!!!!

Wow, have to hand it to them. Usually they work in groups. Someone would try to distract you(eg. stop in front of you) which the other pick you pockets. Try to use money belts under your shirt to hold most of your cash. bags should be in sight at all times or tied close to your body. nothing you can do with baggage losts, just make sure you're well covered with insurance.

Wow, have to hand it to them. Usually they work in groups. Someone would try to distract you(eg. stop in front of you) which the other pick you pockets. Try to use money belts under your shirt to hold most of your cash. bags should be in sight at all times or tied close to your body. nothing you can do with baggage losts, just make sure you're well covered with insurance.
ahaha how abt volcano eruptions?

Stop being paranoid. They smell fear and it attracts them.

For massive stuffs like that, I can only say: When it is time for you to go, it's time for you to go.
hhaa i m not afraid of dying.but the flight disruption.. :/

Flight disruption as in flight cancellation or plane in mid air the volcano erupt?

Flight disruption as in flight cancellation or plane in mid air the volcano erupt?
Hmm flight cancellation/airports closure..

Unless you are the Almighty, there is no way you or anyone else can predict volcano eruptions, earthquakes, tsunamis, blah blah blah. If you do meet flight cancellations, then it's just pure bad luck. Get yourself travel insurance before you go, so that at least you don't get so much heartache if plans go awry. What is the point of worrying so much and getting paranoid way before you go? You will never be able to enjoy your trip. If you worry this and that, you might as well stay home. Since you have decide to take the trip, just go and enjoy yourself as much as you can. Whatever that happens, just deal with it. No point worrying about something that may or may not happen. Go with an open mind, exercise more common sense and you should be fine. Not every guy in foreign countries is a baddie. Enjoy your trip.

I had travelled for over 1 year from Middle East to Europe.
9 months in Europe.
A lot of my things either got lost or got damaged or worn out.
Sometimes by my own carelessness; sometimes by unforeseen circumstances.
Even for the things that don't get lost, they get worn out by the elements when you travel in harsh or rugged environments or repeatedly wash them in lousy washing machines, no matter how good the quality.
So i've found that really the best way is not to bring expensive stuff.

My mandate for trvelling now is not to bring anything valuable.
I try to source for quality travel gear at cheap price by buying on eBay, online shops during sales, etc.
Please note, I don't bring anything lousy with me cos there's no point bringing crap; yet I don't bring anything expensive.
Whatever I bring to travel, I am mentally prepared to lose, so I will not bring anything that I am not willing to lose with me.

When you minimise the valuables you bring, you minimise the risk and you have less worry and more freedom, less restrictions.
You will enjoy your travelling more.
My new mandate is travel light, bring as little things as possible and bring things of as little value as possible.

Paris is notorious for pick pockets, conman, drug dealers, and even kipnaps of pretty girls.
Just be very careful when in Paris. Do not go out alone and do not even engage strangers.
The moment you land in Charles de Gaulle, do be on the alert. But don't be too paranoid too.
Minimize your belongings and always keep in contact with embassy. Carry back up phone. In the day, Paris is ok.
I lived in Paris for 3 months. Like what the French said, all the **** in France flows from everywhere and into Paris.

UK London is not safe also. There are many areas like King's Cross that are to be totally avoided.
Do not even make eye contacts with strangers. I studied in London for many years. Too many stories heard.
Again, do not move and travel alone. Girls traveling alone are really asking for trouble.
Unless, you belong to the type no man is interested at all. But you never know what the angmo or the bad guy thinks.
I was ok until my last month in London, someone broke into my car and took away all my cameras and my passport. Worse, my thesis was taken also. I had to retype it.
I had to go to the embassy to get a paper to return to Singapore. The police caught the culprit six months later, but my passport was already sold. Interpol nap the guy 2 yeas later in US.

Holland is again not as safe as in Singapore. Never respond when strangers approach you for whatever reason. Germany, like Holland, have many illegal immigrants from Arab world.
These are the troubles running about in Europe.

In Summary

Minimize your luggage. Hand carry and not check in at all if possible.
Look, dress and behave like a poor traveler. Don't try to look like a rich Japanese traveler.
Wear cheap looking glasses, watches and no jewelry.
If must buy goods, have the shop ship for you or have forwarders ship it.
Make duplicates of your passport. Plan your trip, arrange for local contacts, and contact the embassy.
Don't carry all the expensive camera gear. A basic P&S should be sufficient.
Carry two cheap hand phones. One as back up. Both have roaming.
Cash is king. Carry some US dollars strapped to the body.
Even if the thief took everything, you still have HP and some cash.
Travel Insurance is a MUST.

Flight disruption is COMMON in Europe. Leave ample time in between flights. Plan in advance.
Volcano not likely now. Terrorist may be possible. Buy Good Travel Insurance.

Oh, also you can save on other areas when you don't travel with expensive stuff.
You don't have to buy travel insurance, esp. since it is always a hassle claiming and may not be successful.
Just buy a accident and infectious disease policy.
It covers you for one year much cheaper than insurance.
The one expensive thing that I regretted buying for my trip is travel insurance.

Don't bring things that you don't need.
I look at people's luggage and I never understand why they bring what they bring.
I have travelled for over 1 year through 4 seasons and through dry and wet climates - all sorts of environments, and I can tell you that I only need to bring 1/4 of what most people bring for a 10 day trip in a single location, single climate.

Really think about whether you will need something.
If there is less than a 20% chance that you will need something, on a typical short vacation, you will almost always not need it at all.
Also, think about what's available.
For e.g., if you are going to a city, you don't have to bring a first aid pack with 20 medicines and creams because they are likely to be available in the pharmacy just a stone's throw from your hotel.
Oh speaking of medicines, you may bring some very basic ones with you for immediate relief, but I have learnt that you should get the medicines available in the place you are in, especially for things like stomach ache, cos they are specifically targetted for the bacteria in that place.
[Believe me on this, I got Salmonella in Egypt.]

And regarding money, never carry more than 200 Euros in cash on you.
Keep 100 elsewhere.
But always bring a credit/debit card that can be used internationally.
Draw 300 again when out of cash.
For me, you will seldom find more than 100 Euros cash on me.
If you have more than 1 card, always carry one with you and have the other in your main bag/hotel, etc.
Try to carry at least two cards if you can get.
I lost one card to the atm machine but fortunately, i still have another card.
Otherwise, I would be penniless quite soon and my trip would have ended 10 months earlier.
Besides debit/credit card and maybe driving license, you don't need to bring any other cards with you.
And just a little cash.
You don't need to bring a wallet.

Here's the perfect travel wallet:
Take a small cloth sack pouch (Camper's Corner at Capitol sells pretty neat ones for $5 i think; that's what I used).
The pouch should have a loop which you can attach a chain to.
You can get a small and not so long dog choke chain from any pet shop for around $2-3.
So one end attaches to the pouch with those keychain ring, and at the other end, attach a small carabiner.
You should attach this carabiner that links to your wallet to your belt loop or some attachment to your body.
Belt loops are the best and usually your T-shirt will cover your belt loop.
So with your wallet chained to you, it is not easy to pick pocket.
I felt very safe with this set up and never ever experienced any pickpocket attempt on my wallet.
Pickpockets usually go for easy catches - if they see a chain on your wallet, too much work, they will not be bothered to try.
Of course, don't take for granted, still have to be careful.

Last year, Barcelona ranked first in a study of cities with the most pickpocket crime and Paris ranked third.
I was in both of these cities, Barcelona for 2 weeks, walked all over town in the middle of the night - no problem with pickpockets for my wallet.
London also in top 5 list - was there 4 months - no issue.

But yes, I had experienced many close shaves with these thieves.
Especially if you are carrying a backpack, always keep an eye on it.
Always be aware of your surroundings.
Don't let anyone come close to you, especially any body contact.

Don't be so paranoid.
Just take the necessary precautions, use common sense, have more awareness and enjoy your trip.
After I lost half my necessary travel gear, I still survived and travel on.
Lost sleeping bag at the beach - bought a big beach towel to wrap myself.
That's the fun of travelling - how you improvise and solve problems on the road.
Don't worry, just enjoy the trip.
Even if you lost all your stuff, life can still go on.
But if you worry about losing your stuff, then you are losing the joy and meaning of your trip and your life.

All the best! ;)

Forgot to advise about passport.
You don't need to carry your passport on you.
You don't need it.
Leave your passport with your hotel's reception or safe.

About day travel bag:
I think a backpack is better than a sling back though it may seem more prone to pickpocket since you are less aware of what's at your back.
But a sling bag or shoulder bag is easy for snatch thieves.
Not so easy to snatch something that is attached to your body like a backpack.
As for the pickpocket-prone issue for backpacks, there are some designs that can offer some protection from this.
Some backpacks have buckles that you have to open to get access to the zip to open the bag; this offers one level of protection.
Some backpacks, including many camera backpacks, have the shoulder straps over the compartment at the back, such that when you are carrying the bag, there is no access to the back compartment.
I used a Kata Sensitivity V on my travels and in the back compartment, I put in my valuables like passport (cos I have no hotel) and sometimes wallet (when xian to put in pocket). Remained safe in all situations.

Cash is king. Carry some US dollars strapped to the body.
Even if the thief took everything, you still have HP and some cash.
Travel Insurance is a MUST.

Funny - The thief took everything except your HP and cash?
I still haven't come across or ever heard of any thief that does not take cash.
Oh, you had it strapped to your body, and you were lucky enough to meet the one and only stupid thief who does not know how to seach body AND it was his first day at work.

Believe me bro (or sis, it sounds like), your cash is the first thing the thief will take, NO MATTER WHERE you hide or strap it to.
The next thing that the thief will take is your hp; if you have two, he will also take two and you would have made him happier by carrying two hps!

Now believe me, TS, if ever you meet a thief, you would want to be carrying as little cash and hp as possible.
Now maybe the thief might not be so interested in a piece of plastic that he can't use (of course, you will call the bank and cancel the card as soon as you lose it right?).

Funny - The thief took everything except your HP and cash?
I still haven't come across or ever heard of any thief that does not take cash.
Oh, you had it strapped to your body, and you were lucky enough to meet the one and only stupid thief who does not know how to seach body AND it was his first day at work.

Believe me bro (or sis, it sounds like), your cash is the first thing the thief will take, NO MATTER WHERE you hide or strap it to.
The next thing that the thief will take is your hp; if you have two, he will also take two and you would have made him happier by carrying two hps!

Now believe me, TS, if ever you meet a thief, you would want to be carrying as little cash and hp as possible.
Now maybe the thief might not be so interested in a piece of plastic that he can't use (of course, you will call the bank and cancel the card as soon as you lose it right?).

Haha, I am free these days and staying up late for no reason. I am a guy.
Rather, an old man who has done business trips in Europe and US for the past ten years.

I was talking about a thief , not a robber. Thief is someone who seals when one is not aware.
Thief is so good in Europe your things can disappear in no time. So strapping cash and passport to body is common practice.

If its a robber, then the first thing to protect is life.

Talking about credit card, maybe you have not been robbed before, the robber will put a knife on your neck to the nearest ATM.
My friend in London was stabbed three times when he refused to let the robber take money from his account.

Sounds so scary.. but i hv to bring my cash with me.. dun trust hotel safe. guess money belt is the best option. but that's to deter pickpockets not robbers though.

Dun be too paranoid Joelle06. Can sense you are very scared.

Definitely need to take some basic precautions but that's it, you will be fine. It's not as bad as sometimes it sounds.

Robbers? They are everywhere! Europe also. But surely you will use some good common sense on what to do to avoid being robbed.

Dun be over worried. Or else, I can tell you, you won't enjoy Europe at all. Things you can control, do so. Things you can't, let it be. Yes you may be robbed. Yes, despite being careful, there's still a slight chance you will let your guard down occasionally and may be pickpocketed. Yes, your plane may be delayed. But these are experiences. As with life.