Anyone for 16GB flash cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:think: :sweat: $$$

:sweat: :bigeyes: :faint: :eek: Pocket the hole become so big I'm only left with underwear...

Sad to disappoint u all...

16 gigabits only == 2 gigabytes.

It's not a 16GB Compact Flash, but a 16 Gb silicon chip.
Page 2 says 16 of those can make a 32 gigabyte "memory card". They didn't specify CF in anywhere.

Well even if they did make 16GB CF cards, and IF money wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't buy 'em. It'll be your classic "putting all your eggs in one basket" example. Makes me nervous only.

I'm still sticking to multiple 512MB cards. The highest I'd go would be 1GB, that's it.

synapseman said:
Well even if they did make 16GB CF cards, and IF money wasn't an issue, I still wouldn't buy 'em. It'll be your classic "putting all your eggs in one basket" example. Makes me nervous only.

I'm still sticking to multiple 512MB cards. The highest I'd go would be 1GB, that's it.
If one day they develop 30 megapixel DSLR, and u shoot in raw, yr 1GB card may probably hold about 20 shots only. :think:

Astin said:
If one day they develop 30 megapixel DSLR, and u shoot in raw, yr 1GB card may probably hold about 20 shots only. :think:

Ah, by then, I would also upgrade my cards. It's not so much the capacity per se, but rather, the number of images I can store, and potentially lose, in one card. Right now, I can hold abt 80 images in one 512MB card. If it's a 16GB card, at current setting, I could stand to lose 2,700+ images!

2GB is the cut off point if u dun wan2 put all eggs in 1 basket

I normally use 1 GB and 512 MB card, but just got a 4 GB card for for last trip. It was really nice to be able to not have to carry extra cards with me when I was out running around town.

I do admit, storing 450-500 images (raw) on one card is a bit too many eggs in one basket. However, my experience with corrupted files on flash memory card is, as long as the card is not damage, with the right software, you have a better than 50/50 chance that all but the one or two corrupted files, you can recover everything else.

how frequent do we see corrupt flash card here :dunno: , any statistic? Touch wood, I hasn't seen any.
I am all for larger capacity, but on the safety and price issue, I keep 2 or 3 large capacity cards, don't like to keep small capacity cards.

I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Laws, that things will break down or get lost at the most inconvenient time. Especially for paid shoots, I'd really rather not take the chance. I've ever had equipment failure (never happened before) during a paid shoot, but heng got back-up...

I am always wondering what is better
1.) If I have ONLY 1 card, the chance of lost or failure is x%. (all eggs in 1 basket)
2.) If I have 5 cards, the chance of lost or failure is 5x%. (higher chance)

Astin said:
I am always wondering what is better
1.) If I have ONLY 1 card, the chance of lost or failure is x%. (all eggs in 1 basket)
2.) If I have 5 cards, the chance of lost or failure is 5x%. (higher chance)
Well... I used to say 2 x 256 is ideal... then I went on to 3 x 1GB saying it's basket is now better, and then I upped it to 3 x 2GB saying baskets are now stricter QC'd.

Now I'm looking at 2 x 4GBs... heh... move on with technology.

espn said:
Well... I used to say 2 x 256 is ideal... then I went on to 3 x 1GB saying it's basket is now better, and then I upped it to 3 x 2GB saying baskets are now stricter QC'd.

Now I'm looking at 2 x 4GBs... heh... move on with technology.
I still have a 4MB CF card that was used with the very first digicam tat came out...;p ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.