Anyone familiar with getty images?

ainsleyyip

Sep 24, 2010
www.facebook.com
I have received an email invitation from Getty images to contribute my photos. Could this a scam?

Sion said:
Have you uploaded your photos to Flickr?

Some photographers are invited from there if their photos are good for stock sales.

Yes, I have uploaded in Flickr n received the invitation in flickrmail. Ehhh.. I am actually not familiar with stock sales.. What is that?

Getty is the best stock library in the world. top advertising agencies purchase images from them everyday. if they have contacted you, it means your shots are super tokong and you might earn a mountain of $$$ in royalties if your shot is used commercially! go for it, mate!

Yes, I have uploaded in Flickr n received the invitation in flickrmail. Ehhh.. I am actually not familiar with stock sales.. What is that?

If you don't mind, why don't you share your Flickr album here?
Yes, what noewnoew said is perfectly true.
So what did they actually say in the mail?

A universal rule regarding scams is, if anyone asks you to pay a fee to join something, it is most likely a scam.
Legitimate companies will never charge a fee to join them.

noewnoew said:
Getty is the best stock library in the world. top advertising agencies purchase images from them everyday. if they have contacted you, it means your shots are super tokong and you might earn a mountain of $$$ in royalties if your shot is used commercially! go for it, mate!

My pics are not really that tokong la. Prob I just happen have what they are looking for. =) bt anyway, I have signed the contract n join them already. Good luck to myself. Lol..

WuffRuff said:
If you don't mind, why don't you share your Flickr album here?
Yes, what noewnoew said is perfectly true.
So what did they actually say in the mail?

A universal rule regarding scams is, if anyone asks you to pay a fee to join something, it is most likely a scam.
Legitimate companies will never charge a fee to join them.

Hi wuffwuff,

This is what I gt in the mail..

"Flickr has partnered with the fabulous Getty Images to offer an invitation-only service for Flickr members to license their photos for commercial use.

The Getty Images team has noticed your work on Flickr, and is pleased to offer you an invitation to enroll with them. "

I duno abt this company till now! I am so mountain tortoise. Lol.. Anyway They never ask me to pay anything so I suppose it's safe bah..

I do have a thread in p & p if u r interested. =)

Royale With Cheese said:
I've had Getty Images contacted me as well through Flickr Mail.

ok la, its not a scam.

Did u join? How was it?

ainsleyyip said:
Did u join? How was it?

I also recieve for quite a few photos. See the form already lazy

Gary the master. .. Getty might not be able to afford paying him leh

Dont say master lei, I use cheap lens, cheap camera, lousy picture one.

Only thing I'm good at is drinking with ndroo at the pub! hahaha!
That day mr Phua jio me for night shooting, I suspect its a cover up to shoot 15mins & drink 3 hours

catchlights said:
sob sob sob..... I didn't get the invitation from Getty.......

Must join many groups then tag at least 10 groups every time you upload a photo. :bsmilie:

Probably for RF but that literally pay peanut u know the really small kind not the NKF version.

ellery said:
Probably for RF but that literally pay peanut u know the really small kind not the NKF version.

Well for me, joining Getty has been rewarding. The budget for my photography gears mostly comes from Getty.

I get US$100+ for every photo I sell thru them. The smallest I get is US$50+. Not so bad considering that I just shoot as a hobby.

There are dry times, of course. But I can't complain. Why should I? Photography is a stress reliever for me and that in itself is a reward already.

Trick is you have to market yourself by leaving a link to your Getty page on every website/forum you go to and every single email you send so people will see your work. Or at least, that's how my wheels turned. :)

Last edited:
Do note:

What rights does Getty Images have over photos I post for sale in the Flickr collection on Getty Images?

Getty Images has the exclusive right to license your images and images substantially similar to those in a commercial context once you've accepted their invitation (and signed the Getty Images Contributor Agreement).
Any and all of your other non-similar photographs not in the Flickr collection can be sold freely by you, though not on Flickr itself, because that goes against our Community Guidelines.

http://www.flickr.com/help/gettyimages/

Last edited: