Anyone dismayed by quality of pictures in Landscapes and Travel section these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boroangel

Apr 23, 2005
Ok...before I even go on..I know I am probably going get slaughtered for saying these...but I just want to voice out what I have felt over the last year...

I must first admit I am not a good photographer but I do love to view travel pictures. Ever since I last joined back in 2004 (I think), I would go to the Landscape/Travel section to view other's travel pics and gained such a joy...seeing the stunning pictures that fellow CSers put out. U know...pictures which make you look and look and just admire the way the picture is composed...pictures that make you want to go to those places...

Its just a personal feeling..that over last year, such galleries which are inspiring are becoming less and less personally...of cos occasionally there are some really good galleries, thing is...the percent of such seems lesser and lesser...and I long for the days where there are many more ppl like Nuts and Oveyind (just to quote a couple of CSers) whose pictures are just really good...

Anyways...maybe I have no right to say the above..but its just a personal feeling I have...and just to share, I notice a website called TrekEarth do have pretty good galleries...those interested can check it out.

last time will have less people totting around dslrs..

anyways, for many it is just a hobby, they buy dslrs for improved IQ

there is really nothing wrong with that. what is important is that clubsnappers are honest about what we think, how they can improve.. and objectivity is kept. i have no problems with mediocre photos, that can change and can be changed with the appropriate approach if one is willing.

what i cannot stand is people passing positive comments on a lacklustre photo, horizon tilted, haloing abound.. you will only serve to bring about stagnation.

then TS should post more in Landscapes & Travel, to increase the standard of the section

Our earth is dying, so landscape look worser these days, sky wasn't that blue anymore, no more ice in artic, no more polar bears

Our earth is dying, so landscape look worser these days, sky wasn't that blue anymore, no more ice in artic, no more polar bears

Then shoot macro, insects will be the staple food of the future.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

then TS should post more in Landscapes & Travel, to increase the standard of the section

Dun be mistaken...my pictures are mediocre too..I just wish a lot more of those who used to post travel pics in 2007 and earlier would continue to post more...cos their pictures were really good...and we see more people like Nuts, Oveyind, Tomshen, asterixsg, Shuttergraphy etc...

Dun be mistaken...my pictures are mediocre too..I just wish a lot more of those who used to post travel pics in 2007 and earlier would continue to post more...cos their pictures were really good...and we see more people like Nuts, Oveyind, Tomshen, asterixsg, Shuttergraphy etc...

People come and go......that life.......most important is to continue to keep the passion going. :)

The other possible reason is because over the years you have improved on your own skills too. You are now also able to (and know how to) take those shots which you used to admire. Take a step back and look through your own photos over the past years... you should see what you have achived over the years.

I may be wrong, but just thought this could be a possible reason.

......Its just a personal feeling..that over last year, such galleries which are inspiring are becoming less and less personally...of cos occasionally there are some really good galleries, thing is...the percent of such seems lesser and lesser...

I think the landscape and travel photographers have migrated to P&P where the action is.

XMM photo shoot is the hottest thing ever happens in local photo scene. :)

You started off in photography in 2004 and seen those better photographers who posted in 2007 and currently is 2009. If you claimed to be mediocre , what will you gain even if there's lots of good posts being contibuted now, another few more years of inspiration ? What should have been done to upgrade your own skills and contribute, or how those good photographers can really contribute ( it seemed those past postings have not helped you in anyway) ?

You started off in photography in 2004 and seen those better photographers who posted in 2007 and currently is 2009. If you claimed to be mediocre , what will you gain even if there's lots of good posts being contibuted now, another few more years of inspiration ? What should have been done to upgrade your own skills and contribute, or how those good photographers can really contribute ( it seemed those past postings have not helped you in anyway) ?

going by your logic all teachers are capable of producing elites.

i agree with the TS - somehow or rather the action migrated to P&P and i've came to this forum lesser by the day. and the action is not even "good" action. no wonder some bloggers think DSLRs are for tikopehs.

edit: i better make myself clear before someone quotes me: i visit the L&T section everyday. not all of the photos are bad - there're some really excellent photos, but overall there're less people posting quality shots. it averages out to be the same, but the feeling is not there.

Last edited:
have you try 'Street and Candids' many decent shots / series..

going by your logic all teachers are capable of producing elites.

i agree with the TS - somehow or rather the action migrated to P&P and i've came to this forum lesser by the day. and the action is not even "good" action. no wonder some bloggers think DSLRs are for tikopehs.

I don't quite get what TS want. Rant about the quality of pics posted in CS and promote another site ? Shouldn't we ask why others migrated, esp the good ones ? Is there anything that we all should look at or do to make this site a better place for improvement in photography ? He's absolutely right saying he has no right to say the things in his first post because it's not constructive anyway and pointless. His inspiration comes from Trekearth now. I think the macro section still has quite a few good phographers who are contributing to this forum. It's easy to criticise and not contribute. It won't help to promote CS a better place.

No picture is good until I say it is good. :bsmilie: :sweat:

I don't quite get what TS want. Rant about the quality of pics posted in CS and promote another site ? Shouldn't we ask why others migrated, esp the good ones ? Is there anything that we all should look at or do to make this site a better place for improvement in photography ? He's absolutely right saying he has no right to say the things in his first post because it's not constructive anyway and pointless. His inspiration comes from Trekearth now. I think the macro section still has quite a few good phographers who are contributing to this forum. It's easy to criticise and not contribute. It won't help to promote CS a better place.

Well said. :thumbsup:

Ask not what the forum can do for you. Ask what you can do for the forum.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

There is this recent spate of very critical views which are not construction, disguised as questions.

Looking down on people with cameras who don't seem to handle their equipment well, or apparently take pictures which do not meet the OP's standards.

Why not help each other then!

It only takes a little step to make a new friend, and suggest. Sure, that person may not like it, but at least we tried!

Status
Not open for further replies.