Anyone can recommend me which brand & model of DSLR to start off with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berrune

Nov 28, 2007
Yishun
blogspot.com
Hi,

Recently I have been reading abit of reviews of DLSR and I have come up with 3 models.

They are:

1. Canon EOS400D
2. Nikon D40x
3. Pentax K10D

I am intending to get from Sitex 2007. Please kindly give me your precious guidances and suggest which one should i go for.

Many thanks:)

Hi,

Recently I have been reading abit of reviews of DLSR and I have come up with 3 models.

They are:

1. Canon EOS400D
2. Nikon D40x
3. Pentax K10D

I am intending to get from Sitex 2007. Please kindly give me your previous guidances.

btw, if you want to get lens next time, can look for Bro Ortega????.... :devil:

Yes, welcum to CS.... we are sort of in the same situation... but I am bioing diff model... :devil:

I suggest a second hand Canon EOS 30D rather than a new 400D

btw, if you want to get lens next time, can look for Bro Ortega????.... :devil:

Yes, welcum to CS.... we are sort of in the same situation... but I am bioing diff model... :devil:

look for me? why, want to buy my lenses? ;)

look for me? why, want to buy my lenses? ;)

when I do get my cam, yes, maybe need to look for you... :devil:....

for Nikon, the general advise is go for D40 instead...

Don't forget the Olympus E510. Going quite cheap with its two lens kit. As for the three, it'll depend on which lenses you'll wana get after the initial body purchase. Nikon and Canon have a spread of stuff designed with their dSLRs in mind. Pentax are coming up, and like C & N they have their old lenses available, too.

Of the three cams, the K10D sounds like quite a solid piece of hardware, but I can't vouch for it as I haven't used it yet. I'm currently using the Olympus E510 tho.

Hi,

They are:

1. Canon EOS400D
2. Nikon D40x
3. Pentax K10D

I am intending to get from Sitex 2007. Please kindly give me your precious guidances and suggest which one should i go for.

If buying it with bundle, I will recommend EOS400D (kit 2). Disadvantage is grip is too small.

You might also want to consider invest in lens and buy a 2nd hand EOS20D. Reasons? Good lense is more important than body (which can be upgraded next time).

They both are quite similar, 10 megapixel and around the same price. Except that, D40X only accept AF-S lens for it does not has an focusing motor (i think).

Go to this site for full review:
http://www.dpnotes.com/canon-eos-400d-digital-rebel-xti-vs-nikon-d40x/

Basically, buy the camera you trust.

for Pentax K10D, i was quoted S$1,699 with two lens kit too.
for Canon EOS400D, i was quoted S$1326 with the standard kit
for Nikon D40x, i was quoted S$1188 with the standard kit

But I just can't make up my mind to choose which one to go for.
...... help..... lolx

just bought d40x kit - alan photo

for these 3 cameras,
no doubt about it, if you are looking for VALUE FOR MONEY, k10d is the way to go

that said, you might not necessarily like it. do take note that every brand has its pros and cons. the prices you are being quoted seems a bit on the high side as well.

k10d
-only one out of your three choices that has in-body image stabilisation, the IS is solid too
-can be considered a level-up on the dslr food chain, compared to 400d and d40x to be honest, has a lot more advanced functions if you wish to have room to grow
-i would bravely say that handling is top-class, not sure about d40x but definitely better than canon 400d for most people
-pentax lenses across the board are good quality
-has problems with yellowish cast for indoor shots, but nothing that shooting in raw or setting custom wb cannot solve
-pentax lenses are hard to find in singapore
-great low light performance (i.e. relatively clean higher iso @ 400 and 800)

some points you would have to note about 400d, which is also an excellent cam, would be that you should try holding the camera.. what most reviewers have said about the canon entry level dslrs is that they are way too small. which is great for ladies and guys with smaller sized hands, but not everyone is that. also, consumer grade lenses are affordable, but build and optical quality is often.. not as good. if you wish to make large large prints you might have to go for l lens? :dunno:

for d40x, i would wager that most people would not encourage you to buy it, unless you are willing to pay more in the long term should you wish to obtain more lenses.. the d40x has no built-in autofocus motor.. so you have a limited selection of lenses to choose from. that said, there have been numerous, numerous discussions on this since the day clubsnap was born. ok, just kidding, but do a search, i'm sure you will turn up quite significant amount of threads on stuff like this.

If buying it with bundle, I will recommend EOS400D (kit 2). Disadvantage is grip is too small.

You might also want to consider invest in lens and buy a 2nd hand EOS20D. Reasons? Good lense is more important than body (which can be upgraded next time).

Agreed on that, you might want to find out more about the Lens that the different systems have to offer. A lot of people only look into the body but overlook the lenses and regret about their decision later when they have learn and get more into photography. That can be a costly overlook.

What would you guys recommend me to start with?

this is unfortunately, to be blunt, a very senseless question.

you even see world-class professionals all using different brands, there is no ONE brand that is the ultimate, the ONE that you must die die get or else you will suffer for the rest of your photographic life.

go to the shops. try it. listen to the salesmen, but with a huge pinch of salt because most of the time, these salesmen are not photographers. see which camera you like most. read reviews. make the decision for yourself.

this sort of question will only result in people pushing their own brand, and confusing you further. a waste of everybody's time, and yours. :) cheers.

look at the whole system and then decide on the brand of camera to get
this is a long term decision

also what your photo kakis have so can borrow stuff

Why no Sony A100? If among the 3 models listed, I would go for the Pentax K10D. It's a cheap & decent cam with in build IS like the A100. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.