anyone can recommend a 'workhorse' quality notebook

Status
Not open for further replies.

eikin

Apr 27, 2004
東京 Tokyo
anyone can recommend a 'workhorse' quality notebook?

looking for advices from IT experts, will be needing a 'workhorse' quality notebook, mainly for CAD, 3D modelling and PS. have gone through a couple of models from Acer, IBM and MIS, for an IT dummy like me, i'm seeing stars liao :bsmilie:

thanks in advance for those who can provide your valuable opinions :D

Steve's side: Mac Powerbook G4.
Bill and Moore's side: IBM Thinkpad Z series.

photobum said:
Steve's side: Mac Powerbook G4.
Bill and Moore's side: IBM Thinkpad Z series.

thanks! i can't use Mac, don't support the CAD software i'm using ... there's a IBM Z series? don't remember seeing one at Funan

i just checked, the Z series is very new but uses Intel Graphics Media Accelerator instead of ATI Radeon X- ... maybe not so much of a workhorse?

I think IBM T43 is quite good, one thing about IBM T-series notebook is the shield they use for the cover, very good in protecting from body overheat and system hang.

Astin said:
I think IBM T43 is quite good, one thing about IBM T-series notebook is the shield they use for the cover, very good in protecting from body overheat and system hang.

that's new to me :D thanks for pointing out, nobody mentioned that when i was going around Funan

I don't think IBM T43's ATI X300 is suitable for CAD. You will need something which has FireGL or Quadro at least. And notebook with this kind of chipset are usually heavy.

IBM notebooks are real good generally.... My ex company provide us with IBM T series notebook. Think the one I got was T41..... all of us always check in our notebooks when we fly..... and well, nothing bad ever happen to it.... hehe.. So I also recommend T43.

Astin said:
not many ppl know...

i see, all the more, thanks for sharing :D

coolman said:
I don't think IBM T43's ATI X300 is suitable for CAD. You will need something which has FireGL or Quadro at least. And notebook with this kind of chipset are usually heavy.

my friend says those are obselete already ... 3 years back items?

espn said:
PowerBook G4.

can't use, doesn't support the major CAD softwares in the market

idor said:
IBM notebooks are real good generally.... My ex company provide us with IBM T series notebook. Think the one I got was T41..... all of us always check in our notebooks when we fly..... and well, nothing bad ever happen to it.... hehe.. So I also recommend T43.

i see, one more vote for T43 ... thanks! :D

Power Bk G4, 15" also can run virtual PC for your CAD. the rest like photoshop, all adobe stuff.... colour display also quite accurate...:thumbsup:

erizai said:
Power Bk G4, 15" also can run virtual PC for your CAD. the rest like photoshop, all adobe stuff.... colour display also quite accurate...:thumbsup:

hmmm ... i'd love to use a MAC, but the reviews for virtual PC for CAD software usage so far have been rather mixed (actually more towards the negative side) most complaints point to frequent crashes and slow performance

strange
sony viao so ex
and no votes

well do not buy toshiba
bought one notebook long ago
quite junk and silly after sales service in Kallang Pudding says, even if is nothing wrong you have to pay fixed $ for us to look at it. After hearing this statement, I decided never to buy toshiba computers ever again. And never to recommend to anyone to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.