anyone can help with missing hard disk space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantasia

Nov 9, 2003
The North
Visit site
Hi,

Jus posting to see if anyone with sufficient computer knowledge can help out here...kinda at a lost of how to solve dis problem.

Currently my disk space on the hard disk with windows on it keep decreasing for no apparent reason. It fell from like 500+meg to now 80+meg without me installing anything.

I'm quite sure it wasn't the internet cache or temp files as i've tried emptying it already. Neither is it the paging file size used for virtual memory cos i've set paging to another drive. One thing is that the total size of all files, including hidden ones, doesn't tally with the space i haf left. meaning, some space just disappeared, without corresponding to any physical file at all.

If anyone encounter dis b4 and know how to solve, please help by posting here..thanks alot and really greatly appreciated! :sweat: :sweat:

Start your pc in Windows 'Safe Mode'. Run anti-virus scan on your hard disk. Chances are you might have a virus infection.

Hmm try doing a clean up, the last time I did it, I gained back approx 800Mb of space on my C: which only contains my OS.

espn said:
Hmm try doing a clean up, the last time I did it, I gained back approx 800Mb of space on my C: which only contains my OS.

thanks jbma and espn, its not to do with clean-up, cos i've tried it already. I always haf virus-shield on, so din suspect it could be a virus. Will give it a try and see how...thanks both! :)

is it win98?

my com always have this prob too..

maybe it just happens to win98 os..

I used to have the same problem. It was only after extensive tracing that I discovered that both CaptureOne and ACDSee had been caching my image thumbnails (apparently they are left to never-delete by default). After cleaning up both programs' cache, I recovered over 10 gigabytes of space.......

majere2sg said:
How abt try run a search for recently changed files ?

good idea...will try that!

Running on win Xp. I'm suspecting that it could be something that windows does automatically something like the caching stuff. But not quite sure what it is.

Tried scanning already, its not a virus. Anyway, thanks all for the suggestions and help! :)

Did you check if you have System Restore enabled? You can right-click on My Computer > Properties or go to Control Panel > System and check System Restore. It might be the thing that's eating up space depending on the settings.

Newman said:
Did you check if you have System Restore enabled? You can right-click on My Computer > Properties or go to Control Panel > System and check System Restore. It might be the thing that's eating up space depending on the settings.

Hey i think its highly possible...hmm but any idea how to make system restore free up the space it already took up? Cos i tried tweaking the settings to reduce the space reserved for system restore, but seems like it still doesn't free up space its already using.

phantasia said:
Hey i think its highly possible...hmm but any idea how to make system restore free up the space it already took up? Cos i tried tweaking the settings to reduce the space reserved for system restore, but seems like it still doesn't free up space its already using.
Can you check the size of the System Volume Information in C: drive? Then try turning off system restore on all drives. It should delete all the current information it has stored. The System Volume Information in C: should be empty now. You should consider re-partitioning your drives. I normally give my C: drive a 10GB partition. Your 500MB left is not enough and will get eaten quickly.

take my word for it, most prob its system restore lar.
just turn it off.
have been helping people with the same prob for a lot of times.
and system restore doesnt help when real probs arise.

Newman said:
Can you check the size of the System Volume Information in C: drive? Then try turning off system restore on all drives. It should delete all the current information it has stored. The System Volume Information in C: should be empty now. You should consider re-partitioning your drives. I normally give my C: drive a 10GB partition. Your 500MB left is not enough and will get eaten quickly.

Ah yes, it is indeed system restore. Managed to recover 1.5gb of space by turning it off. Hee i can't afford to give my windows drive 10gb as mine is a laptop with only 20gb total harddisk. I allocated 5gb for windows. :)

Anyway thanks alot to all who helped! Finally managed to solve the problem... :) All the advise is greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.