Anyone can help me to process a photo?

Turbonetics

Feb 19, 2009
Hi,i was birding at Lor Halus few days back and shooting in RAW.
I tried to process the images but feel that they are not sharp at all and i could see some noise in the photos.
can anyone help me to identify if its focusing issues or my processing skill needs to brush up.
if u guys don't mind,i can email a photo or two for u to help me.

Thank you.

Sure. I PM'd you.

EOS-1DMk IV

File 587:
ISO 800 - some detail gets lost
Poor lighting - sharpness has a lot to do with contrast, and good lighting gives more contrast
Adjusted Highlights +70, Shadows +35, Clarity +35
Focus seems a bit "in front" of the bird, on the brown leaves.
High pass sharpening, 3px radius
Your crop sample is already as good as you can squeeze out of that shot.

File 689:
ISO 2500 - lots of detail lost.
Focus is off - Front focused again. (the leaf to the bottom-left is more in focus)
In your cropped shot, you heavily reduced noise - this naturally destroys details as well.
I can get it sharper, but it will be noisier.

File 384:
- Poor lighting - white bird on grey background
- ISO 640 - not too bad.
- There is noticeable haze, like a "soft filter" effect.

After going through all the shots It's clear right now that you usually shoot with your 100-400 at 400mm f/8, but it's quite soft. Do you have a filter on it? If yes, remove that filter. At 400mm f/8, the lens should be sharp in the center, but what I'm seeing is a haze, either caused by grease, fungus or a lousy filter.

i removed the filter and shoot.
grease or fungus?
Hmm,maybe i should bring down to Canon and check.
it was store in the dry cabinet every time when iam not using it.

i removed the filter and shoot.
grease or fungus?
Hmm,maybe i should bring down to Canon and check.
it was store in the dry cabinet every time when iam not using it.

Look at the pic of the white egret - This is a shot that should not be that soft. It looks in-focus but with a soft filter applied. :p

Look at the pic of the white egret - This is a shot that should not be that soft. It looks in-focus but with a soft filter applied. :p

exactly what i feel.
something seems to be wrong some where.
i will try to do some testing on the lens on a stationary object and compare the result.

thanks man.

Another question to ask: Were you shooting handheld or mounted on mono/tripod? Set your IS accordingly.

And nobody can see what you guys are talking about ...

And nobody can see what you guys are talking about ...

It's a secret language. You must be initiated into The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants first!