Anyone can comment on the "focussing issue" of 24mm f/1.4G?

useruseruser2010

Aug 15, 2010
Hi, was reading dpreview about the allerged "focussing issue" with the Nikkor 24 1.4G.

Just wondering any users can share their experience? Especially using wide open?

Was previously using Canon system, 5DII with its 24mm f/1.4LII. Found the focussing at f/1.4 at more than 2m to be a hit-and-miss.

Thanks!

So you mean that the 24mm f.14 L Mark II has focusing issue with 5D Mark II when shooting at f/1.4 right ?

Welcome to the dark side :devil:

Well in the 1st place the 5DII is already employing a AF system which is quite... old?

I tested the combo at various focusing distance and 5/10 times the auto-focusing is a hit-and-miss.

Now had the D3S so wondering if the combo will be the same :devil:

Is this a well-known issue for Canon? Also found this in the website below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24mm-f14.htm

"My 5D Mark II rarely focuses accurately with the Canon 24/1.4, making most of my results much less sharp than they could be.

Canon trades speed for consistency. This is great most of the time, but means most of my test shots with the Canon 24/1.4 L II were not quite in focus, making them much softer than the Nikon 24/1.4."

Is this a well-known issue for Canon? Also found this in the website below:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/24mm-f14.htm

"My 5D Mark II rarely focuses accurately with the Canon 24/1.4, making most of my results much less sharp than they could be.

Canon trades speed for consistency. This is great most of the time, but means most of my test shots with the Canon 24/1.4 L II were not quite in focus, making them much softer than the Nikon 24/1.4."

Thanks for the source. But i read in dpreview the same can be said of Nikon. I really need to try out in a shop before splurging the cash. :devil: With that said not many 24 1.4 threads around, even in the Canon camp.

Thanks for the source. But i read in dpreview the same can be said of Nikon. I really need to try out in a shop before splurging the cash. :devil: With that said not many 24 1.4 threads around, even in the Canon camp.

I tried the 24mm f/1.4 in the Nikon Service Centre on a D3x. It focused fine. My biggest problem is getting a 50mm f/1.4G (or AF-D to that matter). In the NSC the sample there was spot on. In the shops that I tried all were off, manual focusing of my 50mm f/1.4 AIS was better.

With regards to Canon: I had so may focusing issues with the 5D MkII that I gave up on it. People said that if you take the cam and your lenses at CSC they will exorcise the "out-of-focus evil spirits" for you. Maybe its true. I felt it was not worth the time and effort so switched to the dark side sometime back.

I tried the 24mm f/1.4 in the Nikon Service Centre on a D3x. It focused fine. My biggest problem is getting a 50mm f/1.4G (or AF-D to that matter). In the NSC the sample there was spot on. In the shops that I tried all were off, manual focusing of my 50mm f/1.4 AIS was better.

With regards to Canon: I had so may focusing issues with the 5D MkII that I gave up on it. People said that if you take the cam and your lenses at CSC they will exorcise the "out-of-focus evil spirits" for you. Maybe its true. I felt it was not worth the time and effort so switched to the dark side sometime back.

Thanks for the info. Hmm if really no issues with the 24mm 1.4G i'll save up and get it when I tour Hong Kong. Now exchange rate quite good :devil:

Side note: My AF-S 50mm f/1.4G had no focusing issue with my D3S though. :)

Thanks for the info. Hmm if really no issues with the 24mm 1.4G i'll save up and get it when I tour Hong Kong. Now exchange rate quite good :devil:

Side note: My AF-S 50mm f/1.4G had no focusing issue with my D3S though. :)

(1) Test (2) test (3) test before buying is mandatory even when it comes to new items (if not possible to test then I simply don't buy!). Test with focusing subjects close and far (even my 8 year old could tell that one of the 50mm AF-D was off).... If not sure about a lens, then you may want to try to make sometime and visit NSC and test there too :) its free and those guys are pretty friendly (CSC staff are also friendly, has to be said).

(1) Test (2) test (3) test before buying is mandatory even when it comes to new items (if not possible to test then I simply don't buy!). Test with focusing subjects close and far (even my 8 year old could tell that one of the 50mm AF-D was off).... If not sure about a lens, then you may want to try to make sometime and visit NSC and test there too :) its free and those guys are pretty friendly (CSC staff are also friendly, has to be said).

if you got a off focus 50mm 1.4 or 24mm 1.4, and the shop doesnt have any good ones in stock, you can purchase it and bring it over to NSC for tuning ;p