anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days

derricksony

Feb 21, 2009
Woodlands; next to Scotland.
I am an accidental photographer in my friend's wedding. So can you.
Thanks for viewing.

DSC06053.jpg

Last edited:
I've been dieing to get shots like #3. I like this one very much.

U took very good advantage of the roof":)

Nice Series you got there, but I'm not agree with that statement. An event photographer is not as easy as anyone think. Good photograph comes with good composition, good lighting, good post processing, etc etc and all of these needs experience. This is why people are spending few thousand dollars to get a good photographer as their success rate in getting a good image is higher. Not every one with a DSLR can be a wedding photographer. Not sure how much you have spam your camera on this event, but you can use that as a benchmark to calculate ur success rate. If you are able to produce 100+ good picture then you can consider oneself an event photographer. Anyone can own a DSLR these days but not anyone can unleash its full potential at every magical moments. It needs lots and lots of practice. Its not about the camera but the people behind it. Your statement might cause someone to ruin their photos of their once in a lifetime event.

Agree with Unagidon. It's a once in a lifetime for the wedding couples and a professional wedding photographer with years of experiences, better camera and backup equipments will be in a better situations to capture that special moment with much better color, composition & quality results.

If that was my wedding i be quite disappointed with those pics...too soft, not sharp focus, cannot see clearly brides faces in some shots, etc...

Well if the wedding couple don't mind those pics and does not have a budget to paid for professional wedding photographer i guess those pics are ok.

Just my opinion. No offence to you.

Last edited:
Agreed that the heading is not substantiated. In a wedding dinner setting, it is tough to take great pictures, especially when there are smoke effects during walk in, reflective glasses and chandeliers, jostling the point n shoot ppl, composing and of course, tight focusing on group pics...bokeh in such pics would be viewed as a lousy photographer...

His thread title is just to attract people to get views, worded to provoke controversy and probably **** stirring. The fact that he does this gives a hint of the level of maturity. As a wedding couple these are precisely the people I avoid hiring or even inviting. Potential trouble maker robbing me of my special day to gain attention to himself. wedding photography is more than just photos. Btw those photos looks like underexposed snapshots and the fake photoshop flare of #6 is cheap and amateurish.

There's a old Chinese saying; "Waving a halberd in front of Lord Guan's temple' or "Wielding an axe in outside Lu Ban's door'. Basically a monkeying infront of the masters and doesnt realize the joke is on himself'. Edit the title and save yourself some face. The next thread besides yours could very well be some local big name's thread, you are going to be buried just by stamina alone.

Shakes head at young people nowadays.

I think the shots are good, nothing wrong with saying what he feels. Why the anger?

The composition and capturing of moments are not bad. But wasted photography is not only that. It consist of a lot skills, techniques & experience. All the shots I seen here the exposure, sharpness, lighting and color are pretty bad. Should do some homework on your camera settings, it is very important for a photographer to understand how their equipment behave on different scenario. That is what a DSLR are for. Unless you are telling me all the shots are using a Lomo camera than I will say it is nice.

I think the thread title should change to "Not anyone can just buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer."
This is a good example of the image quality you will get if "anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer" compared to a professional wedding photographer.

What so good about these shots from the wedding perspective? You just have to look at other threads by real good wedding photographer. From the pictures posted by TS, it does not look like the TS is the main photographer? Correct me if i'm wrong? Hope i'm not.

What the TS say is cr**. How can he said "anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer these days"...obviously he does not know (or did not mentioned) what other tasks involved as a wedding photographer. Things like does the photographer consistently take good pictures? Can the photographer capture the critical moment of the wedding & able to handle fast pace at certain time? Flash & ambient photography? How about post processing, deadlines, deliverables (wedding albums, huge posters, etc..), client expectation?

Most importantly wedding photographer must have backup equipments (several body, lens & flash) with him all the time. Never know when the beginner photographer in this case slip and damaged the camera or camera not working for some reasons...what does he do when the most important events of the day is unfolding?

Sure anyone can buy a DSLR and be a wedding photographer...but the final results & other important tasks must also needs to be consider.

Yes even my 7 year old kid can take nice snapshots using DSLR.

I think the shots are good, nothing wrong with saying what he feels. Why the anger?

Not anyone can just buy a DSLR and become a wedding photographer. If that is the case than anyone who can just buy a frying pan can be a chef.

Just because now a days entry level DSLR are so affordable that is why now we can see any Tom, Dick, Harry are slinging a DSLR walking around. And a lot of people got the thinking of owning a DSLR and they are a photographer. Actually they are just a Photography Hobbyist. You need more than just a DSLR to become a actual photographer especially a Wedding Photographer. Cheers!

I feel that he has put the income of many people at risk and deflated the egos of many here by saying that, and hence all the flaming.
But what he says is true! It's not a case of frying pan and chef - it's rather whoever can buy a Ferrari can be a fast racer. But first, what you need is the equipment.

Derricksony, I must say the image quality of the photos you posted here are not very high standard. There's a high chance that you are 'driving' a Kia Picanto. If you are using 'Ferrari', it's hard to get such poor quality photos - the colour isn't vibrant and true, and colour balance looks odd (maybe you purposely created that?)
Don't worry too much about what the rest says here, you are good enough, just that if you drive a Picanto, you can never beat a Ferrari no matter how good your skill is. The rest who are 'driving' WRX, Lotus, SLK, wants to kick out the competition and boast their ego by saying you are lousy - ask them to use your equipment and see!