anyone bought online from tincheung before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
did anyone buy from tincheung online before and have your stuff shipped here? was thinking of doing that to get a tok 12-24mm. not sure if it's worth it :think:

I have not bought anything from them before but this much I can tell you:

(a) their online prices are usually without international warranty; if this means anything to you... prices with warranty usually about 10% more (I'm speaking from "Nikon" point of view and am referring to lenses only as bodies in any case only has domestic warranties)

(b) you can bargain for better prices if you are at their outlet

(c) i have inquired through their online form several times with regard to shipping + their prices if I need int'l warranty but got no reply

So from an "online shopping" point of view, I sceptical... maybe ok if you are there.

BUT... if you are in HK, there are many better outlets like Man Shing, Wing Shing, etc

thanks bro. have just tried their online enquiry form. interested to get the tokina 12-24mm from there. its abtou $650 for their online price which is quite good. even plus shipping and GST it's still $100+ cheaper than here in sg

Was at the shop just after Christmas. What you see at their online shop is not necessarily what's available. At least two lenses I wanted to buy, AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, and one discontinued MF Nikkor 135 f/2.8 that were - and still are - listed on their website, but were not in stock. Other lenses I saw on the shelf (eg. MF Nikkor 135mm f/2) are not on the website.

Yup, prices are cheaper if you are there in person, but as noted by mcn and others in previous discussions, you must specify international warranty if you want it. Bought a lightmeter, but had no warranty at all (grey set?) except for the mandatory 7-day exchange policy all shops must have in HK (for tourists). Also charged 2% for credit card transaction.

My own impression is that the online shop for Tin Cheung seems a bit iffy, especially with regard to stock availability, and mcn's experience of not having any reply to queries.

Might I suggest, if you are willing to spend ~$700 for an online purchase, why not buy it in the BnS Forum? There are usually a few on sale. I have this lens too, and it is not likely to be prone to mechanical problems, and I have not heard of any variable image quality issues. At least you get to inspect the lens and have less to worry about damage in transit.

Status
Not open for further replies.