Anyone been to South Korea b4?

Marshmallow Angel

Apr 18, 2012
Paya Lebar
Planning to go there next year with my boyfriend. Anyone been there before? Likely for 7days trip =]

Marshmallow Angel said:
Planning to go there next year with my boyfriend. Anyone been there before? Likely for 7days trip =]

If free and easy, pack lightly will do. Spring, autumn are the best for view. Lens 24-105 range preferably with IS or VR already good to cover 98% of shots. For me street photography is great over there. Just pack more memory cards or disks and spare battery will do unless you are bogged down with lots of shopping....

Yes. twice..
First time business trip to Seoul in winter.
Second time vacation from Seoul to Jeju Island in autumn for maple tree viewing.

As second poster mention, Korea is a temperate country as big as M'sia and has all 4 seasons so you have to share when and where you are going.

Been to Korea 3 times on Business trip last year in autumn and winter.
Mostly around Seoul. Seoul has plenty to see and different in different season.
Include Jeju Island as well for a few days since going with BF. Have fun :vhappy:
Going package tour or free and easy ?
Seoul can free and easy. Good map of city & sign in English and chinese for train station.
The people are friendly but do not speak much English :dunno:
Enjoy ! :cheergal:

I was there 10 years ago :)

Was there after 2002 FIFA world cup where Korea was a joint host

Went with 3 other friends, they bought the tour package and I just went along. 4days 3nites only

Been there 3 times for holiday, nice weather to go in Mar-Apr or Sept-Oct. Easy to get around town, and even some of the other cities like Busan or Gwangju. Lots of interesting places to go in Seoul already, need 4-5 days to cover the city sufficiently. Have been very enjoyable visit to Korea for me because of the great hospitality of my Korean friends there.^^

I've been to Korea twice now, once in Summer (few weeks ago) and another in Winter. Both times are beautiful (I don't know if it makes sense, but the light there is just really nice). If you're going with your boyfriend, one place I would suggest is Nami Island. It's where they filmed Winter Sonata, with the tall trees and all and it's super gorgeous. Lots of couples go there.

It's quite a bit outside of the city area, but still accessible by the metro system. Metro > Ferry > Island. Quite straightforward, can't remember the exact stations but I found this:

Take the subway to Cheongnangyi subway station at Line 1. Exit the station, follow the signboard to Cheongnangyi Station. Buy a ticket to Gapyeong station. The ticket cost 3,800 won one way and is a 1.5 hour ride. The train interval is every hour.

From the Gapyeong train station, you can take a cab to the ferry wharf. There are a lot of taxis outside the Gapyeong train station. Just tell them ferry station or Namiseoum and they will understand. It cost 3,500 won and is only about 5 minutes ride.

From the ferry wharf, you need to buy the ferry ticket which includes the Nami Island entry ticket, total is 8,000 won. The ferry ride is another 5-10 minutes.

Also, at the ferry wharf there is a lot of Korean BBQ restaurants, particularly those serving chicken ribs. Really worth trying (which korean bbq isn't?!)

Some of the photos I took while I was there (Winter 2010/11) to give you an idea of how the place looks like:

183662_10150111749164791_3924328_n.jpg

BBQ Chicken Ribs

183065_10150111749569791_273608_n.jpg

Ferry Wharf

181965_10150111749749791_526721_n.jpg

The ferry to the island

189684_10150111758389791_4907661_n.jpg

Gorgeous scenery

189651_10150111763444791_1019585_n.jpg

On the ferry back in the late afternoon/evening

Last edited:
I am visiting Seoul & Jeju for 9 days this coming October. Planning to do self drive in Jeju. Nami island looks interesting, I might just add into the itinerary.

Ryan

Well.. I will be going Seoul and Jeju in 2 weeks time. :)

TWmilkteaTW said:

TWmilkteaTW said:

Great! Will u be driving in Jeju as well? I m thinking of bringing my Garmin on top of using the local KR GPS

Another friend of mine is doing it in September. Will look forward to ur post trip writeup

swordfishninja said:
I've been to Korea twice now, once in Summer (few weeks ago) and another in Winter. Both times are beautiful (I don't know if it makes sense, but the light there is just really nice). If you're going with your boyfriend, one place I would suggest is Nami Island. It's where they filmed Winter Sonata, with the tall trees and all and it's super gorgeous. Lots of couples go there.

It's quite a bit outside of the city area, but still accessible by the metro system. Metro > Ferry > Island. Quite straightforward, can't remember the exact stations but I found this:

Also, at the ferry wharf there is a lot of Korean BBQ restaurants, particularly those serving chicken ribs. Really worth trying (which korean bbq isn't?!)

Some of the photos I took while I was there (Winter 2010/11) to give you an idea of how the place looks like:

BBQ Chicken Ribs

Ferry Wharf

The ferry to the island

Gorgeous scenery

On the ferry back in the late afternoon/evening

Thanks for the info swordfishninja. How much did you spend for the trip, including the air tics +accomodation. ?

I am visiting Seoul & Jeju for 9 days this coming October. Planning to do self drive in Jeju. Nami island looks interesting, I might just add into the itinerary.

Ryan

Eh.. Nami island size of St john island.. cover everything in 1 hour ;)

The beauty of photography is that you don't need a lot of space for a beautiful picture. The one line of trees is all that's needed in Winter Sonata.

limwsv said:
Eh.. Nami island size of St john island.. cover everything in 1 hour ;)

The beauty of photography is that you don't need a lot of space for a beautiful picture. The one line of trees is all that's needed in Winter Sonata.

One hour will be a lil short cause theres many other things to see too on that island esp in fall other than the rows of trees.. I would suggest at least half a day

Last edited:
One hour will be a lil short cause theres many other things to see too on that island esp in fall other than the rows of trees.. I would suggest at least half a day

Good idea. I would probably put aside the later half of the day to visit Nami. I heard can rent bicycles to cycle around the small island.

Ryan

giantcanopy said:
Good idea. I would probably put aside the later half of the day to visit Nami. I heard can rent bicycles to cycle around the small island.

Ryan

haha yep.. theres a big bycycle rental store there but i chose to walk cause there is too many photo opportunities along the way haha.. they do have a brochure map there that will state the places of interest on that island that u can pick up near the jetty.

There is 2 ways u can enter the island - by ferry or by zip wire. I would reccomend the zip wire method although its a lil costly. the experience is great!

http://www.ziprider.com/rides/nami-island/

Just came back from a long Gwaneumsa hike to Hallasan today. Very beautiful fall colors. Still pretty early autumn somewhat, with good mix of green yellow and reds along the trail. Anyone attempting the hikes please go real early so there is more spare time for photography, as well as catching a breather.

Might just plan for the Yeongsil trail 2 days later.

Great I await your Memories thread :)

Zichar said:
Great I await your Memories thread :)

Ran a few rolls of velvia and e100vs, hopfully the saturated slides will do justice to the foilage colors.

We rented a car from KT kumho in jeju. GPS was in korean, we had to get a short but intense tutorial from the rental boy on how to use it. In short for non korean users, it involves keying the tele numbers of places of interests. Worked like a breeze.

Alot of speed traps in jeju, but our gps gave us thumbs up on the locations. While mostly accurate, we came across one that needed drivers to go under 50kmph instead of the 60kmph that the gps indicated. So do pay attention.

Many local drivers esp taxi drivers beat the red light traffic. So cross greens with care as well.