Anyone been to ROME

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishing

May 31, 2007
With your DSLR and equipment?
I hear the gypsies and roma will aim your camera bags... anyone encountered these ? and is it okay to beat them up if they try to stun your equipment?

it is never ok to beat anyone up whatever they have done

i have been in winter, i had no problems whatsoever, there is really no sense stereotyping gypsies or what, criminals come from every ethnic class or social enclave.

you just have to be alert. the same applies in singapore, america, antartica, etc. as for problems we had, we had racism from french kids on tour, and funny jokers who tried to tie friendship bands on us and then charge money (although we found out about this scam before the trip, so no problem).. that's about it.

Thanks... It's just natural for me i guess to react when someone is robbing me .. i would punch the dude... but i just wanna know if that would implicate me... wonder if it's okay since i am protecting my belongings...

I have been there before.
Actually it's more dangerous in paris where my family went there for holidays.
We were shooting during the trip when someone tried to steal my brother's leica.

Marie

ahahaha
yes im sure you can beat them up.
you will be fine. just take care of your belongings

Don't worry. Rome is much safer than what normally people think about Italy. I saw no suspicious peole in daytime. Quite a lot of plicemen stay at important landmarks. Not sure about late nights. As Night86mareBe said, be altert if someone is too friendly and helpful.

Paris is more dangerous, especially north part.

well, every city or location in the world is as safe as the traveller is

if you haven't done your research and bumble around, even some of the safest places in the world have their hidden corners

keep your eyes open, it is not so hard to avoid trouble if you pay attention to your surroundings. as for the things you cannot control, well, that's life.

I hear the gypsies and roma will aim your camera bags... anyone encountered these ? and is it okay to beat them up if they try to stun your equipment?

You are into stereotyping before you even have been to Rome :thumbsup: Maybe they will also wonder: "Is it ok to beat up some Asian looking tourist if he doesn't want to hand over his camera?" - "Sure thing, they are here for excitement, let's give it to him."
Jokes aside, night86mare has given some good advice.

Hey, stealing is against the law. And so is assault and battery. Haha.. Please don't beat up the robber. You'd be in trouble too.

Having said that, yes, you have to be careful. Simple guidelines like not having your wallet in your back pocket or cash exposed should apply. Keep your radar on and you should be fine. I had no problems there, although I have heard of the occasional petty crimes. But hey, petty crimes occur everywhere, don't they?

at all tourist spot in Rome, there'll be police patrolin, so quite safe... but beware of ur wallet instead. my fren got pickpocket b4. just be mindful of ur belongings... remember, they dun operate alone;)

have fun in Rome, say hi to the Pope for me ya!!!;p

it is never ok to beat anyone up whatever they have done

i have been in winter, i had no problems whatsoever, there is really no sense stereotyping gypsies or what, criminals come from every ethnic class or social enclave.

you just have to be alert. the same applies in singapore, america, antartica, etc. as for problems we had, we had racism from french kids on tour, and funny jokers who tried to tie friendship bands on us and then charge money (although we found out about this scam before the trip, so no problem).. that's about it.

Yeah, i've been approached by those friendship band ppl before. So i just acted blur like a tourist who doesnt understand english and walk away. Rem to stay in a group and be alert.

Beware of children lurking around you. They are the professional pickpockets.

Everywhere is dangerous if you are careless. You just need to be smart and alert eg: carry your backpack as a front pack in crowded trains. Enjoy your holiday. :)

Last edited:
Tips for Rome :-

1. Trevi Fountain
This is really crowded as everyone is out to have their picture taken here. There are MANY pickpockets here! If you are on alert 99% of the time, this is the only place in which you must remain vigilant 100% of the time!

2. Roman Gladiators (at the colosseum)
Be sure to negotiate the price before having your picture taken with them. It is not for free! They will ROUGH you up if you don't pay up!
If you do want a "Freebie" shot, use a zoom lens from afar. ;)

3. Gypsies/Strangers
Just don't talk to them. Don't take out your wallet no matter what they tell you.

4. Italian Men
Yes. They are quite forward in their advances towards women. Native Italian men consider themselves to be well... passionate. By Asian (women) standards, they are definitely HAM SUPP CHI KO PEK!

I have been to Rome once during the summer and several times to Paris, and it never cross my mind that Paris is more dangerous than Rome. I would say that all major cities in Europe are the same. Always apply your common sense, keep your wits and awareness with you. You are more likely to be pickpocketed than be robbed openly. Always keep alert in crowded areas, and avoid accepting any offers from strangers. And of course keep away from quiet back alley. Other than that, you should be able to enjoy your trip to Rome. In fact among all the European cities, Rome is one of my favourites.

no worry.. u will b safe...
but base on my experience...
i lost a phone in a bus ride...

it worth it.. they r so good in stealing.. i dun even feel anything.. after i get off the bus only i know what happen...

ur camera is too big to steal...

i also been "mob" by 2 big guys... asking me and my gf money.. we give them some coins then 1 of them said: "what do u think we are??" then his partner stop him... the end..btw is day time when i got mob...anyway.. my gf was good.. she took my camera and step far abit... she know if something happen.. she will need to take care of herself and my camera...wahahha...

anyway, it is safe..

Tips for Rome :-

4. Italian Men
Yes. They are quite forward in their advances towards women. Native Italian men consider themselves to be well... passionate. By Asian (women) standards, they are definitely HAM SUPP CHI KO PEK!

dun think they r ham sup... they just flirting none stop...during my trip to milan.. i stay in my friend house (hospitality club)... and 2 of the german gal just cannot tahan him... but he is a fun guy.. love his cooking...

didn't saw the beat up them thing...
dude.. if u sure u can beat them up.. then go for it...
but if u dun.. u might just got "serve" and lost all ur thing...

btw... dun think too much... just enjoy ur trip.. Rome is a great place... i spent 5 days there... and i still wan more...

What's with the "beat them up" mentality :dunno:

Is it a macho thing :dunno:

I think if you try it, you probably won't get more than 2 streets away before you get seriously shown that it was a wrong idea.

Just be carefull and mindfull no matter what country you are in.

There are places here that I would tend to keep things close to me.

Simply be aware; but don't have this macho attitude unless you are another Bruce Lee :bigeyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.