Anyone been to Chennai with photography equipment

Bellaraphon

Aug 12, 2006
Hi there,

Need inputs with regards to travelling to Chennai with photography equipment. Going there for 5 days to cover a cultural visit.

Besides the usual precautions and notices that one needs when travelling, is there anything to look out for? Be wary about?

Thanks a million.

Hi there,

Need inputs with regards to travelling to Chennai with photography equipment. Going there for 5 days to cover a cultural visit.

Besides the usual precautions and notices that one needs when travelling, is there anything to look out for? Be wary about?

Thanks a million.

Chennai is as safe any any place in Singapore. The usual precaution applies. The people there are friendly and the kids would always want their photos taken. Be careful giving out treats like money and sweets else you will be swarmed.

taking pic is both easy and hard....
easy - they are very friendly to let u take their pic, and will not ask for money...they just ask to see their pic on your cam...guess that makes them feel like bollywood stars..
hard - they will always pose for you if they see u taking their pic...which I hate most....

I got kind of irriatated by almost every "auto" aka tuktuk driver on the road touting me to take their "auto"
but than again...this is not unique to chennai, it happened in many countries...

There was once I got on the auto , the driver only ask for 25rupees(~less than SGD1) to bring me around....but the condition is I need to visit 2 of his "recommended" shop for that. no need to buy anythings..just walk in and look see look see for 10~20mins will do....to me it hurts nothing....I end up din buy anything at all,
give the guy 100rupees anyway....cos he send me to the bondi bazzard which is quite far away from my last location, which will normally cost abt 40rupees. 40+25 =65...so the rest I consider it as a tips to him.
I know the cost becos I stayed there for almost 6months.

travelling there is safe and easy...no need to worry much abt your cam equipment....just as usual dun bring big bag small bag...or leaving bag on the ground inviting crime.....the indians will only get angry under these 3 circumstances 1. you kill his cow( he start getting piss) 2.he found out you kill his favorite cow (he start to get very very piss) , 3.he found out you kill his one and only pet cow(the whole village will kill you) hahahaha....

Last edited:
Thanks for the inputs. That part about cows is so very true.

Care to elaborate on the big bag small bag you mentioned? Do you mean as in when I am there dun carry big bag small bag? Cos I am going to check in a big bag (to dump all my clothinigs and shoes) and hand carry a haversack for laptop and photography gear.

Thanks.

taking pic is both easy and hard....
easy - they are very friendly to let u take their pic, and will not ask for money...they just ask to see their pic on your cam...guess that makes them feel like bollywood stars..
hard - they will always pose for you if they see u taking their pic...which I hate most....

I got kind of irriatated by almost every "auto" aka tuktuk driver on the road touting me to take their "auto"
but than again...this is not unique to chennai, it happened in many countries...

There was once I got on the auto , the driver only ask for 25rupees(~less than SGD1) to bring me around....but the condition is I need to visit 2 of his "recommended" shop for that. no need to buy anythings..just walk in and look see look see for 10~20mins will do....to me it hurts nothing....I end up din buy anything at all,
give the guy 100rupees anyway....cos he send me to the bondi bazzard which is quite far away from my last location, which will normally cost abt 40rupees. 40+25 =65...so the rest I consider it as a tips to him.
I know the cost becos I stayed there for almost 6months.

travelling there is safe and easy...no need to worry much abt your cam equipment....just as usual dun bring big bag small bag...or leaving bag on the ground inviting crime.....the indians will only get angry under these 3 circumstances 1. you kill his cow( he start getting piss) 2.he found out you kill his favorite cow (he start to get very very piss) , 3.he found out you kill his one and only pet cow(the whole village will kill you) hahahaha....

what i mean is if you are going for photo shoot....just be as simple as possible....just ur camera bag will do......this is applicable for any place...not just india....

hello! i've been travelling india for the past 5 mths it's fairly safe when it comes to photographic equipment.
1) keep it close to your body all the time, cos india tends to be rather crowded. be careful as you climb in and out of the auto rickshaw and bus/trains
2) also another factor to consider is the dust in india

other than that, it's fine! :) have a safe trip!

Yes,i have been to Chennai withall my photography equipments,here are some samples.............
164772166_702ae4832a1.jpg

RibbonBuilding.jpg

what i mean is if you are going for photo shoot....just be as simple as possible....just ur camera bag will do......this is applicable for any place...not just india....

ah. i see. wun be carrying a bag afterall. a toploader 70AW carries my DSLR.

hello! i've been travelling india for the past 5 mths it's fairly safe when it comes to photographic equipment.
1) keep it close to your body all the time, cos india tends to be rather crowded. be careful as you climb in and out of the auto rickshaw and bus/trains
2) also another factor to consider is the dust in india

other than that, it's fine! :) have a safe trip!

Thanks for the inputs.

I've lived in Singapore/USA/Turkey/South Africa all my life but I was born in Chennai. I've spent many months there and have never been robbed of any valuables. North Madras can be pretty unsafe especially in the night, but you should have no problems at all in other areas. Just make sure your gear is tightly attached to your body and secured, don't let it hang loose. You should be fine really.

Oh, and if you plan to travel by auto, and the driver is a nice and trustworthy guy, get his number and call him whenever you need transport. it's much safer and cheaper that way.

Last edited:
I've lived in Singapore/USA/Turkey/South Africa all my life but I was born in Chennai. I've spent many months there and have never been robbed of any valuables. North Madras can be pretty unsafe especially in the night, but you should have no problems at all in other areas. Just make sure your gear is tightly attached to your body and secured, don't let it hang loose. You should be fine really.

Oh, and if you plan to travel by auto, and the driver is a nice and trustworthy guy, get his number and call him whenever you need transport. it's much safer and cheaper that way.

thanks for the advice. transportation wise, alrdy have a designated vehicle taking me and the grp ard.

dun think i will be in north madras. shud be the coastal area.