Anybody done free and easy in Korea(South) b4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Kahuna

Dec 15, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
I have some frequent flyer miles to spend so thinking of bringing my old folks there.

So far the feedback that I received are pretty negative, some say hotel, food and languages are the main issue if we travel by our selve, package tour from travel agent is more worthwhile. Is that true? :think:

It depends on how 'adventurous' you are.

For me, Japan wasn't much of a problem since I noe a little basic Japanese. And the romanized Japanese were a great help.

But since u're bringing ur folks there, suggest u take a tour package. I assume ur folks are like 50 or 60yrs old liaoz maybe nothing too 'exciting' for them, food, people, etc.

In Korea, very little is in English/Chinese Characters. Road sign and street etc in Korean.

Went with my family on a conducted tour there one-and-a-half years back. I think free-and-easy quite difficult esp. signs etc are in korean and language is quite definitely a problem. Heck, their show performances in Lotte World are in Korean. Food wise, we like it - afterall staple food is rice. I think if ur idea of free-and-easy traveling is around Seoul, then should be ok, since their mrt is quite comprehensive. But I can't imagine you traveling outskirt. Also, my impression is that hotels are also quite expensive.

Bottomline - go on conducted tour to S Korea. Save your flyer miles for somewhere else. Don't get me wrong, my family loved the holiday trip and wants to go there again. But not via free-and-easy.

Big Kahuna said:
I have some frequent flyer miles to spend so thinking of bringing my old folks there.

So far the feedback that I received are pretty negative, some say hotel, food and languages are the main issue if we travel by our selve, package tour from travel agent is more worthwhile. Is that true? :think:

Being to S. Korea several times; my personal view is that it is better to go on a tour package as the culture n language are different. Going on free n easy may spoil the trip for ur old folks if u are not familiar with the place and language.

Thanks for all the feedback man :thumbsup:

So I guess it's still best to do Korea by package then :sweat:

Liao....4 person...I think the damage is at least $5k liao :sweat:

Even if u go F&E, damage will come to around the same actually, if not even more. ;)

Korea's a lovely place. i've been there several times as i have many friends there and can travel around on my own.

however, imho, it would be difficult for a foreigner to get around Korea and enjoy the holidays fully if u do not have a friend there.

Hiee....

I have been playing around korea in the last 3~4 years. Its really easy to get around as the korean words are pronounced like english. Their train system is really efficient and easy to get a round too.

Palaces and shrines are some common places to visit.....Secret Garden (Biwon) is one of them.

I used to stay in the heart of Seoul. Taking hotel tours to places up north to DMZ is one of the common things to do. Taking High speed train (KTX) to the southern part of korea is also a great experience. You can visit the mountain side through organised tours or hotel tours.

The Seoul Central Bus terminal gets you to and from airport. Though i have to warn about traffic jams....almost eeverywehre ....throughout the day,

Many Singaporean tend to go places like Namdaemun, DongDaemon, Lotte World etc.....and the Namsan Tower - all accessible by train or taxi.

Due to exchange rates....its not that cheap to shop there though......
Food wise....there are many restaurants....asians,western, middle east/indian(Itaewon) area.....

Out of town in the mountains towars the east coast would be nice to visit too. Can catch bus fron the Central Bus Terminal (right below JW Marriot).

So...for easy touring....get a book like the lonely planet and shoot from there...if you are free enough....can visit Mr. Ma (Markins Ball Head Maker)...

rgds,
Sulhan

There was a tour package about 2yrs ago to North Korea.

Of cos, participants are not allowed to wander off from the group and they have to submit their particulars to Pyongyang for 'security clearance' like 3 to 6mths before the trip before they can be allowed to go in.

Someone did a writeup on the papers after the trip, describing it as a 'surreal experience' where the people are strangely quiet, not allowed to talk to the tourists, fountains turning on before the bus reaches the bend and turning off after it had past it, scores of children throwing flowers and welcoming them at the airport, tour guides bringing tourists to monuments of The Great Leader and warnings of not stepping out of the hotel at night or risk detention.

Anyone who's thinking of a trip to North Korea? :)

Wah...I am terribly scared to go FnE in S.Korea now....will switch plan....any other nice place in Asia to do FnE???? :dunno:

Big Kahuna said:
Wah...I am terribly scared to go FnE in S.Korea now....will switch plan....any other nice place in Asia to do FnE???? :dunno:

HKG or BKK lor. Easiest liao. Or Malaysia? Shanghai is also not bad. If wanna go HKG, go after Sept......opening of Disneyland. But gonna be ex. If you want more adventure, can try vietnam/laos or cambodia. Actually Asia is massive. Many countries to go and sample their culture.

www.lonelyplanet.com

Big Kahuna said:
hahaha... dude. South Korea still a relatively safe place lah. Not say u walk 3 steps will see a Centurion tank or fighter planes flying overheads once every 3secs.

If u're fated to die, den u can't even run. This ain't 'Final Destination the movie'. :D

jsbn said:
hahaha... dude. South Korea still a relatively safe place lah. Not say u walk 3 steps will see a Centurion tank or fighter planes flying overheads once every 3secs.

If u're fated to die, den u can't even run. This ain't 'Final Destination the movie'. :D

No lah...I am not scared of safety lah...I just scared of my wallet :lovegrin:

South Korea is not exactly friendly to free n easy.. since bring parents would recommend that you go for guided tour instead. I tried doing a free n easy tour last October...... definitely an experience that I'll remember for life but one I won't care to repeat.

When things go wrong, really dunno what to do cos the people there dun speak and might not really understand English or Chinese.

Really end up with a lot of worries and not able to enjoy at all.

Trust me ... go with guided tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.