Anybody been to united states?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qing02051981

Dec 25, 2005
Simei
hancheng-travel.blogspot.com
Hi

I just want to check if use credit card to buy camera there, the conversion rate by the bank, is it worth it? Or better to pay by cash?

Thanks!

ask your bank:) i think the CC rates follow your local bank rates.....

I think CC conversion rates will always be higher than market conversion rates... the banks gotta earn some cash right... in Jan, when the conversion rate (retail rates, not the bank rate) was about 1.42, I was charged 1.47 by CC when I bought something from US with CC...

Been to US for business trip and stayed there for a month.
During my stay there I been using 2 credit card one is OCBC Titanium and CITI Bank Platinum. End of my trip I got the billing from both bank the xchange rate is a bit different.

But overall the different is not that much... may be 5cents or abit more different.
compare to the $$ xchange shop.

So is ok lor.... just pay by credit card if not have so much cash with you.
and bring too much cash along is also a risk or losing it or by pick pocket.

just my 2cents of advice....:sweatsm:

I think CC conversion rates will always be higher than market conversion rates... the banks gotta earn some cash right... in Jan, when the conversion rate (retail rates, not the bank rate) was about 1.42, I was charged 1.47 by CC when I bought something from US with CC...

There's buy rate and sell rate right?

I'd prefer to use Credit card as I never like to change dat much cash or walk around with too much cash on me.

I'm seldom worried about the exchange rates by the banks as they are not too much difference from the money changer. Also, unless you spend really alot, else the differences are quite insignificant.

There's buy rate and sell rate right?
in the case i was mentioning, both are considered buy rate... that is, I am supposed to be buying US$... but when banks do credit card currency exchange transactions they tend to charge more than what a currency exchange shop would charge... of course, even different currency exchange shops charge different rates so YMMV... for the best rates, can try some of those at Golden Mile ;)

agree with Lmodel... would not want to carry too much cash around when going on holiday... but do be aware of your CC's exchange rate... give them a call if need be... don't just look at the business section of the Straits Times and assume that's what your CC would charge... :)

please note the US different states has a different Tax. So.. if u get from retail shop.. u have to pay the tax which === not worth it.

Best is get online.. and get it deliveried to ur place in States (hotel also can) provided u are there long enough.

in the case i was mentioning, both are considered buy rate... that is, I am supposed to be buying US$... but when banks do credit card currency exchange transactions they tend to charge more than what a currency exchange shop would charge... of course, even different currency exchange shops charge different rates so YMMV... for the best rates, can try some of those at Golden Mile ;)

agree with Lmodel... would not want to carry too much cash around when going on holiday... but do be aware of your CC's exchange rate... give them a call if need be... don't just look at the business section of the Straits Times and assume that's what your CC would charge... :)

I think there should be a protocol for foreign exchange and they should follow the bank's rate, right?

Some states has no sales tax. You'll get cheaper price there. Those states are: Alaska, Delaware, Hawaii, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. Other states charges between 2.9% to 7.5%

As for the conversion rate, I find that it's reasonable, no complain.

Sorry TS..... OT your Thread abit.... :embrass:

Anyone knows where is a good place to get DSLR's Lense in Salt Lake City...... My Bro goes there for business trip quite often..... might like to ask him to pick up some stuff for me.

Credit card exchange rate is always higher than published exchange rate, my experience was about 3 cents from Citibank and UOB. e.g. if Bloomberg rate 1.40, it will be billed with 1.43 etc....so you have to factor that into your purchase :sweat:

For me, cash is for emergency or places don't accept CC...for shopping....no choice...just swipe the damn card :sweat:

Credit card exchange rate is always higher than published exchange rate, my experience was about 3 cents from Citibank and UOB. e.g. if Bloomberg rate 1.40, it will be billed with 1.43 etc....so you have to factor that into your purchase :sweat:

For me, cash is for emergency or places don't accept CC...for shopping....no choice...just swipe the damn card :sweat:

Almost correct. Typically its 3%, not 3 cents over and above prevailing exchange rates.
Like if US$ exchange is 1.38++ adding the 3% will get it up to about 1.426 or 1.43 instead of the logical 1.41. So do take note.

Also, if using popular couriers like UPS, FedEX and say DHL, you'll have to pay GST of 8% upon entry. And they will levy an 'administration charge' of paying for you upfront about $10-20 average.

Take note too.

I intend to get a Nikon SB-600 in Chicago. Does anybody know if flash have international warranty like lenses do?
I dun think there's much difference if ur getting a flash, get it in SG. Less of a hassle, u have a shop to go back to if something's wrong, local warranty. I was in LA and Oklahoma, their IT gadgets are not much cheaper than SG. (USD1 : SGD1.58 then)

Well, but wif all that being said, the US currency is dropping.. lol..

I bought my Olympus E510 from Amazon for USD650 vs SGD1499 in Singapore(before price reduction recently). They have free delivery for most models too. And if the delivery address is a different state from the supply, there is no sales tax.

You can consider this route if you there long enough (1-2 weeks).

hmm just wondering, where can you get the bloomberg interbank exchange rates ?

to TS , try and use a CITI Bank CC as the are more recognized, i went to US, when i used my UOB card , they were like :think: whats this haha.
Don't bother so much about the exchange rate as mentioned , your not spending afew thousands right ? US normally have a 30 day $$ back :) fully refunded. shipping to you is also normally free .

hmm just wondering, where can you get the bloomberg interbank exchange rates ?

to TS , try and use a CITI Bank CC as the are more recognized, i went to US, when i used my UOB card , they were like :think: whats this haha.
Don't bother so much about the exchange rate as mentioned , your not spending afew thousands right ? US normally have a 30 day $$ back :) fully refunded. shipping to you is also normally free .

Thanks. Excellent tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.