any zoom lens up to 400mm to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

i am shopping around for a lens capable of zooming up to 400mm or so....
already have a 70-300mm lens....
but feel that zoom power is not enough.... any recommendations for a lens up to 400 mm capability ? (preferably not too expensive, cause i prefer to buy new....)

thanks

anything up to 400 and beyong would cost you. I see a lot of the pro pjs here use 80-400VR to cover events. You might consider that one tho I heard from some that the pics are soft. Or else try 50-500 bigma.

wow... 50-500mm sigma would also cost a bomb...... how much >?

erictan8888 said:
wow... 50-500mm sigma would also cost a bomb...... how much >?

Firstly, what cam is yours?
If Nikon then 80-400 VR.

If Canon then 100-400L.

Also, if you let folks know which camera mount, that might help.

Cheers,

cheaper alternativ e... (i think) ... would be 200-400 tamron ...

using nikon D70....

pls advise... and also pls let me know the approximate cost... thanks

80-400VR or 70-200VR + 2xTC? One of the best lenses I have ever owned and used. Sharp and VR actually proves to be extremely useful ;)

wa kao..... so expensive ah....

actually why 70-200VR so much more expensive than the 50-500 ?
because of the VR technology?

i actually looking for a further than 300mm zoom lens...
currently have a 70-300mm sigma (cheap and good)
but feel that the reach is not there when i go to the zoo and shoot...
would like to have more zoom.... hai....

now stuck at cross road... dun know which lens to buy.....

how much money are you willing to spend and how much quality are you looking for? that would give a good indication of what sort of lens is suitable. the top end lenses for such a range would be heavy and costly (e.g. AF-S 400mm f/2.8D IF-ED II which costs more than $10k and weigh 4.4kg).

erictan8888 said:
wa kao..... so expensive ah....

actually why 70-200VR so much more expensive than the 50-500 ?
because of the VR technology?

i actually looking for a further than 300mm zoom lens...
currently have a 70-300mm sigma (cheap and good)
but feel that the reach is not there when i go to the zoo and shoot...
would like to have more zoom.... hai....

now stuck at cross road... dun know which lens to buy.....

consider getting a 2xTC?

I've tried. no AF and the quality will suffer so much.... might as well shoot and use software to crop.

Actually wanna recommend to you Nikon 200-400mm.... but then just read your complain about price.... so dun know what to recommend.... the Bigma is the cheapest lens if you wanna go >300mm in reach... But the biggest problem i have with my Bigma is that its more of a lens for use in bright daylight... Also, to use Bigma effectively, I recommend that it be used swith a good tripod.... I have seen people manage to take great shots handheld.... unfortunately i do now have any luck with that.....

BTW OT a little.... if you use lens with that long reach... its usually heavy... So besides a sturdy tripod, you also need a good ballhead that will not slip. So if you do not have a sturdy tripod and ballhead, you may wanna add those to your cost of lens...

i'd been pondering over this fr a few days n having heartache cos my 80-200mm ED is soft and having back focus prob despite sending it to NSC for the 2nd time. i guess i'll b watching this thread too. wish i had nuff money to get the 80-400 VR.

Most economical and efficient way to get to 400mm -> get sigma 70-200/2.8+2XTC (Less than $2000).
:thumbsup:

To get 400mm range, I personally use a 200/2.8L coupled with a 2x tele which gives reasonable quality. The setup is pretty light (around 1kg) and inexpensive (~$1k if used) too. There is probably a similar lens in Nikon's line-up too.

i'm also looking for those >400 tele..... 80-400 is about 2.5k, and bigma 50-500 about 1.6K........ diff by 900.... 900 good enough to get a 12-24......
which to go ? suggestion suggestion........

icarus said:
Most economical and efficient way to get to 400mm -> get sigma 70-200/2.8+2XTC (Less than $2000).
:thumbsup:

dun reccomend this lah.. coz this combo sometimes give u soft pics. and sometimes good pics when u have super good lighting... i wouldnt recommend this combi.

if u wish. u can consider getting a Sigma APO 400 f/5.6 Macro lens. it functions as both a macro and telephoto.

theres one at Alex Photo. its condition is MINT lah... go try... and its a AF lens. cheap, good, and a 400mm too.

Status
Not open for further replies.