Any Wine Lover Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, you can get hints of different fruits, nuts, grasses, sometimes even the sea..
Must 'train' your nose, tongue and palette gradually, (a.k.a. drink quite a bit) before realising the nuances of the flavours..

Went for a wine tasting once, of which one was from the Golan..
Needless to say, it tasted of diesel and gunpowder..:confused:

And I've tried a wine that smelled like toilet-cleaning solution, another was 'foxy', others like grass, bananas, peach/apricot, green apple-skins etc..
Also there were wonderfully lengthy wines that lingered 10-20mins after tasting... Shiok!

Btw Italian wines are usually paired with food, without which most may be too strong to stand alone..

Just my say.. ;)

depends........ i dun like to "contaminate" my wine with meats....coz i'm not good at discerning the individual components fast enuf..... hahahah!

and BTW, italian reds can last for hours....

if u try a fantastic year....some can last for at least 1 hour!

its THAT great...and usually that was my initial kick......open an okay bottle of wine and see how long it last.....then slowly, i moved to how floral, how fruity, how sweet...blah blah blah...

u can ask one of my friends here, we went to Cellar Rouge (near city hall) and asked for a bottle of Ferrari Trescone..... can't remember which year... ....alone...it is like watered down brunello..... and not very refined.....still biting due to the tannins... we asked for a mouldy cheeze from Castella ....

WOW! combining the both........ my gawd....was great great great..... the rough trescone was extremely smooth and lingered ....... the essence of the berries became quite a mouthful......how some others will described as " explosions of fruit on the palate" ...so drama mama:bsmilie:

I guess I still have alot to learn about wine drinking. It's great learning from you here. ;) :thumbsup: :)

no ah...i think i will learn from you...

i think wine drinking experience is all about sharing..

its very subjective....SO LIKE PHOTOGRAPHY!.... i can tell u i hate certain bottles of wines!...and u will absolutely orgas with it....

but its interesting to take notes and compare and then try to see if we can pick the other party's opinions....

so like photography! .... i shoot at f8....oh...u shot at f16....wah not bad leh....okay...i shoot at f16 again....

Plsoong, I like Riesling and do you any recommendation for a good inexpensive one? I heard Clare Valley, Australia produces some of the best Riesling in the world. Maybe, I should consider this too.

Plsoong, I like Riesling and do you any recommendation for a good inexpensive one? I heard Clare Valley, Australia produces some of the best Riesling in the world. Maybe, consider this too.

i dunno much about whites leh..... but me heard that Clare valley produce good stuff too.......

i have 3 bottles of riesling in my fridge....... one from Germany, one from Australia and one from Gawd noes where....coz my mum wrapped it up :( and still haven't tried them :angry:
:bsmilie:

the only "whites" which aren't really whites.....are the desert wines that i've tried..

Brown brother's Orange Floral Muscat
Noble One
Brokenwood dunno what...
KentRidge valley Voignard
of course Iniskilin ice wine
and recently my brother brought back a bubbly dessert wine .... kinda borders champagne and dessert sweet heavy wine

where's student..... i need his referral for a hepatologist to examine if i have hepatomegaly already!

:bsmilie:

I personally like old world wine. Much more mellow and delicate. On the other hand, new world wine, I found them too over powering.

Spanish wine is a good buy in Singapore. Not too many people know anything about them, hence very good pricing, but then, not a lot of varieties.

i dun like to "contaminate" my wine with meats....coz i'm not good at discerning the individual components fast enuf..... hahahah!

and BTW, italian reds can last for hours....

True true.. Food + wine pairing depends on how the meal is 'designed'..
Some possiblities:
a. wine as secondary item, ie: to complement the food;
b. food as secondary item, ie: to complement the wine;
c. wine as a complete contrast to the food;
d. or both wine and food as standalone characters in the meal..

I know this guy who let his super-Tuscan breathe for 2+ days, before even trying.. It was that robust...! ;)

True true.. Food + wine pairing depends on how the meal is 'designed'..
Some possiblities:
a. wine as secondary item, ie: to complement the food;
b. food as secondary item, ie: to complement the wine;
c. wine as a complete contrast to the food;
d. or both wine and food as standalone characters in the meal..

I know this guy who let his super-Tuscan breathe for 2+ days, before even trying.. It was that robust...! ;)

barolo?

i had to open one of the bottles and decant it from morning about 10am till about close to dinner time...... after every 3 hour, i sampled a lil.......
kinda interesting to discern the various flavours developing........ i tell u......i had to fight teh temptation to pour a glass every sampling point!

I personally like old world wine. Much more mellow and delicate. On the other hand, new world wine, I found them too over powering.

Spanish wine is a good buy in Singapore. Not too many people know anything about them, hence very good pricing, but then, not a lot of varieties.

any recommendations?

the torres one is not really my liking...

yesh...old world wines are so classical...like fine watches ...... complex but nicely matured and balanced....

Chilean wines are getting more accepted too....

Yup sirree, it was a Big B.. ;)

I was told that Uruguay is new possibility for fine wines, but have yet to try anything from there..

Other than from Argentina and Chile, I have not seen any other S American wine here.

Portugese wines also very good drinking material..
Not that popular here tho'..

Other than from Argentina and Chile, I have not seen any other S American wine here.

there was a lebanese wine that my dad almost constantly swears by......

they no longer make that range but it was supposedly really good...

thats the beauty of wines.... those smaller vineyards....family oriented kind that does small sales just to keep their livelihood and to really interact with you..... they have got GREAT wines and some of them arguably are comparable to the top wines.....

most of the time u'd need an experienced local and thru personal contacts to be able to access these great value great wines.

Portugese wines also very good drinking material..
Not that popular here tho'..

yep

dad used to say.... in portugal, they keep their really good wines and only export those that are so-so...

in SG, if u pick up a bottle of porto....its erm..."okay" lor...... nothing special...good for normal drinking for fun...

but in Portugal, give them a bottle of Porto and they pour it into the drain..... to them its "undrinkable".....

hmmmm wonder what happens if i give them Arbor mist...... ..... maybe end up in their hospital getting clunked on the head with the empty bottle!

I like the Portuguese Rose especially Mateus Rose and their port wine. :thumbsup: Recently, almost finished a bottle of Mateus Rose alone in a night. :bsmilie:

I like the Portuguese Rose especially Mateus Rose and their port wine. :thumbsup: Recently, almost finished a bottle of Mateus Rose alone in a night. :bsmilie:

Not to burst your bubble horh, but when I attended a wine course last year, Mateus Rose wasn't even in consideration...

They keep the best for themselves, we just get scraps falling off the table...;p

Not to burst your bubble horh, but when I attended a wine course last year, Mateus Rose wasn't even in consideration...

They keep the best for themselves, we just get scraps falling off the table...;p

That being the case, then it's not worth drinking Portuguese wine outside Portugal. Well, maybe you should buy the best port and rose wine if you happen to be holidaying in Portugal.:bsmilie:

here are some recommendations...generally easy to drink and not too tannic.

sauvignon blanc
cloudy bay (new zealand) $48
shaw & smith (australia) $35

reds (shiraz, cabernet sauv, blends)
los vacos (spain) $37
montes alpha (spain) $38
peter lehmann clancy (australia) $26
penfolds 389 (australia) $40
penfolds 407 (australia) $50

dessert wine
peter lehmann orange muscat (australia) $23

That being the case, then it's not worth drinking Portuguese wine outside Portugal. Well, maybe you should buy the best port and rose wine if you happen to be holidaying in Portugal.:bsmilie:

Booze, travel and photography...
Sucking away my $.. But dammit, it's worth every cent.. ;)

(btw, Greece got some very good wines.. my kaki swears by the stuff..)

german riesling is very nice but sweet though. my favorite now is italian wine, Brunello di Montalcino.

I am trying to find Brown Brothers Port here. In Perth, its readily available at your local Liquor Barn etc. But I am having some difficulty trying to find it here. :( Anybody know where I can find a bottle (or several)? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.