Any way to upload photos at its original sharpness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yapster

Aug 12, 2006
Pioneer
www.flickr.com
Hi all,
Would like to ask if you guys got any ideas or ways to upload photos at its original sharpness and the file size is able to keep at a rather small size? Apparently, whenever i sized down the photos and "save for web", the sharpness and the quality of the photos is greatly reduced due to the compression. :cry:

So i was wondering if there is any way to keep the sharpess of the photos and also keep the file size to the minimum?

Thanks in advance! Would appreciate your helpS!

;)

Usually, one would reduce the picture size to desired size before making final sharpening and "saving to web" for uploading to web

Resize first, then sharpen before uploading.

Don't use save to web, I don't really understand why people use it, I have never used it, perhaps there is some magic in using it but I haven't found out why! =)

you should try to resize from a raw, not from a jpeg. also save with maximum quality but to a smaller 2D dimension, with a moderate file size. if you process a jpeg repeatedly, resized from a jpeg, save with a high compression and low quality to achieve small file size, it will suffer from various digital artifacts.

it is possible to get a relatively small size of less than 400kb at a 2D dimension jpeg of 700x465px at maximum quality.

i seldom sharpen my pictures as i dun see recognizable sharpening without causing artifacts.

Easiest way is to do incremental resizing in photoshop. E.g If the original file size is 4000 pixel wide and you want to resize it 600 pixels, resize it incrementally in halves - 4000 > 2000 > 1000 > 600. Additionally, choose Bicubic Sharper in the Image Size dialog box. This method is the simplest.

Another way is to post-sharpen. This is the method that I use the most since I like my samples to look its best when I send them over the web to clients. But accurate pre/post sharpening is like rocket science to me :confused: So unless you know what you doing, I find its just more convenient to use a sharpening plugin like Nik Sharpener.. or just leave it to to the production guys.

Resize first, then sharpen before uploading.

Don't use save to web, I don't really understand why people use it, I have never used it, perhaps there is some magic in using it but I haven't found out why! =)

Save for Web makes the file smaller the normal jpeg files
the exif and other extra data is removed

try it with the same jpeg compression setting and see for yourself
btw so for the same file size you can actually use a more quality compression setting

Hi all, thanks for all the advises and guidances!
My first mistake is i do the PP first then added in the text then resize! Big Mistake!

To Squid and night86mare: Ya, i followed your method of resizing, then PP, then sharpen then upload and it works! And ya, night86mare, save for web do make the file a lot smaller for upload. Nevertheless, thanks!

To zoosh: So far i haven't shoot in RAW cos i am currently trying to build up my basic in shooting and PP first before i go shoot RAW (which requires a lot of knowledge of PP right?). However, i am glad you give an idea of the difference in quality between in RAW and JPEG after compression. Noted with thanks!

To ibs: Hmm, i normally resize to 600 (for the longest side of the shot regardless portrait or landscape) in order to fit the ClubSnap recommendation for display of photos. So i jump direct to the size lor. As for post sharpen, guess i am not there yet leh. I tried out the pre-resize and post resize suggested by fellow members here and pre-resize is indeed a lot better! Thanks anyway!

To ortega: Thanks again for your guidance on the other thread of mine~

Once again, thank you all~:)

Status
Not open for further replies.