Any way to mount photo frames on wall except using 3M tapes and drill hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
The reason being there's expensive wallpaper on the wall, so I can't drill hole.. Also because it has vertical straps protuding 1-2mm outwards, I can't use 3M tapes as it will not have 100% contact between the wallpaper and photo frame. Moreover, 3M tapes are not recommended for wallpaper.

Any other way to hold the photo frames on the wall? Let say those frames are at least 30x30cm, not more than 50x50cm.. It's those thick border frames from Ikea..

Or if all else fail, is there any innovative ways to showcase the photos (it's meant for my gallery/office)..

Please throw your recommendations. Thanks! :)

The reason being there's expensive wallpaper on the wall, so I can't drill hole.. Also because it has vertical straps protuding 1-2mm outwards, I can't use 3M tapes as it will not have 100% contact between the wallpaper and photo frame. Moreover, 3M tapes are not recommended for wallpaper.

Any other way to hold the photo frames on the wall? Let say those frames are at least 30x30cm, not more than 50x50cm.. It's those thick border frames from Ikea..

Or if all else fail, is there any innovative ways to showcase the photos (it's meant for my gallery/office)..

Please throw your recommendations. Thanks! :)

use bluetack... lol...

i think make a floor stand more viable... or hang down from ceiling.

use bluetack... lol...

i think make a floor stand more viable... or hang down from ceiling.

I agree...I use that at my work place for all my poster. Bluetack is very tacky and will hold up well but you need to put all four corners.

But take note that prior to doing this....you need to "charge" up the power of the bluetack hehehehe

You see those cooks making noodles or that dragon hair candy maker where they stretch the dough into a long piece and then fold it into half and then do it again? well, you need to do this to the bluetack about 20 times or so...this will improve the tackiness by a huge factor. This is especially good for surface that is rough or not as easy to tack like some types of wallpaper. If you use it out of the wrapper you will find it does not hold well and long. I have done this on painted wall and wall paper to great effect and some have been there for like a few years.

Do test it first hor....some wallpaper are just to hard to use bluetack on...since I am not sure what type you have....I advice if you taking this route to do a test. Tack it not too high lah...have like a table under it a few cm heheh so in case it fall you don't damage your frame heheh

Hope this helps....

3M Command Strip? They've got one of those new fangled stuff right? What picture holder and stuff like that. U can try that.

Hmm? I thought u pull the bottom slowly and den when the thing *tiak* out oredi no residue? :dunno:

if wallpaper weak, whole piece will come out together lor...

Yah man, that's way I want to avoid 3M stuffs.. Especially when my landlord paid quite a hefty sum for the wallpaper, I can't afford to spoil it :bsmilie:

I guess i will try blutack. Thanks guys :) :thumbsup:

or you could do it like art gallery and just leave the frames on the floor leaning against the wall. or lean but prop it up with a side table or something like that.

Yah man, that's way I want to avoid 3M stuffs.. Especially when my landlord paid quite a hefty sum for the wallpaper, I can't afford to spoil it :bsmilie:

I guess i will try blutack. Thanks guys :) :thumbsup:

blutack will leave residue after some time. ;)

blutack will leave residue after some time. ;)

Agree. Bluetack residue is just as bad.

Suggest that you hang it with wire from the ceiling, like some galleries.

Only silly people put wallpaper in Singapore. They won't look good for long because of the humidity... and you have additional difficulties when you want to hang pictures. With paint, it is relatively easy to patch up and paint over the hole later.

Agree. Bluetack residue is just as bad.

Suggest that you hang it with wire from the ceiling, like some galleries.

Only silly people put wallpaper in Singapore. They won't look good for long because of the humidity... and you have additional difficulties when you want to hang pictures. With paint, it is relatively easy to patch up and paint over the hole later.

Well if it were my own place, I'd not have choosen wallpaper. Haha ;p But this was done up by my landlord, so got to stick with it.. I think got to see how to hang from ceiling, and where can I get the string to use (like those in gallery)?

Well if it were my own place, I'd not have choosen wallpaper. Haha ;p But this was done up by my landlord, so got to stick with it.. I think got to see how to hang from ceiling, and where can I get the string to use (like those in gallery)?
you can get the wire string from homefix, but just normal wire should work fine.
if it is a false ceiling, remove some panels, just drill some screws on the wall above the false ceiling, hang the wire down, put the panels back, your photo frames can adjustable heights.

some galleries also using wire hang down, via fixing a rail track on the wall near the ceiling, you can do that too.

actually, why not the 3M? it is one of the best adhesive making company in the world. those "3M command" strips are often well recieved. i'm sure the protruding nature of the wallpaper would make it less effective, but it might still be able to hold photos well.

why not try this? find a small hidden corner with wall paper, and try out one 3M strip. then hang some pretty heavy loads from it to see it is drops. if it can supports heavy loads for a few days, i think it should be able to support lighter photo frames for months or years. and also, as a precautionary measure, test it at hidden places incase the 3M strips does damage the wallpaper.

Actually did you check with your landlord to see if can get his permission to hang pictures? Typically people will hang stuff on the wall especially in a home. Maybe he/she might allow you to nail a small hook or nail there?

As for the few who mentioned that bluetack makes markings...I have not had that problem unless you count using old bluetack that you have used alot and use your finger on it alot to mash it into various shape..this can left oil residue on it which will contaminate the bluetack and will transfer to the wall when you use it. I have been checking some of my wall pictures in my home and office. I took them off and there was no marking on it except for some dirt and darking from the photoframe outline.

So what I think you will find happen later on ( whichever way you intend to hang it) is that your picture will leave outline marking of it's frame shape thus...it matters little if you put a nail there or not to hang your picture as one way of another...it might leave some kind of dirty marking. So the land lord might as well let you nail the wall. Something to think about.

Actually did you check with your landlord to see if can get his permission to hang pictures? Typically people will hang stuff on the wall especially in a home. Maybe he/she might allow you to nail a small hook or nail there?

As for the few who mentioned that bluetack makes markings...I have not had that problem unless you count using old bluetack that you have used alot and use your finger on it alot to mash it into various shape..this can left oil residue on it which will contaminate the bluetack and will transfer to the wall when you use it. I have been checking some of my wall pictures in my home and office. I took them off and there was no marking on it except for some dirt and darking from the photoframe outline.

So what I think you will find happen later on ( whichever way you intend to hang it) is that your picture will leave outline marking of it's frame shape thus...it matters little if you put a nail there or not to hang your picture as one way of another...it might leave some kind of dirty marking. So the land lord might as well let you nail the wall. Something to think about.

maybe ask the landlord...

u wan a small hole or a big patch? either way, i'm having the picture on the wall... :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.