Any watch collector here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes yes, Passion (slip my mind). The submarina is difficult to come by just as other submarina, explorer and of course the Cosmograph. Believe it or not a SS Cosmograph can cost more than a half gold Cosmograph.

In any case collectors don't always go for Rolex as it is considered second tier watch but they have very good resale value at common level.

DennisLee said:
Hi Dennis, it is not Limited Edition? Hmm...must have got it wrong, what i heard is it is difficult to come by in Japan, so i tot it is limited ed.

By the way, i think the watch shop u r referring to is passions, they sell mainly 2nd hand watches. Try their web sites: http://www.passions.com.sg.

Dennis said:
Wah the FP Journe Tourbillon Souverain remontoir is a very nice watch but no $$$ leh.
JLC is also nice. Very good value for money range. Have the whole modern alarm series and their reverso Duo Face. Very satisfied with their alarm except the recent Memovox Compressor which I find the alarm indicator not practical.

That's why they're dream watches.

The whole modern alarm series?! That's quite a collection. I thought the Master Memovox is quite a decent buy although I have no money for any JLC. I think a cheaper alternative would be to buy an IWC GST Alarm, should have bought that instead of the fliegerchronograph. I am a fan of the Calibre 889 and its derivatives.

The Reverso Duo is very very nice, till I saw the price. Won't mind getting one if money comes easily. However given the opportunity, I would get a used Master Geographic before the Reverso Duo. Too many watches, too little money.

I love to read about watches especially the chap in Purists who tears apart a movement and analyse every single part. He owns a Seiko Grande by the way. ;)

Dennis said:
Yes yes, Passion (slip my mind). The submarina is difficult to come by just as other submarina, explorer and of course the Cosmograph. Believe it or not a SS Cosmograph can cost more than a half gold Cosmograph.

In any case collectors don't always go for Rolex as it is considered second tier watch but they have very good resale value at common level.

Do you think the Rolexes are overrated despite their popularity? Seen pix of the movement of an explorer and it looks as bad as my swatch auto watch. The saving grace is its microstellar balance.

Have read that the Rolex proprietary chronograph is not as 'good' as the Zenith version.

Any Patek Phillippe owners here? :angel: (And no for the record I dun own one...I only drool at it through the shop window).

Ahhh IWC GST Alarm, yes I have that too, very nice as well and using JLC movement. This watch is rather unique in its alarm, the sound are almost totally different when you wear it and when you don't. Flieger is too small for me but I do have the Dopple split second.

shutterspeed said:
That's why they're dream watches.

The whole modern alarm series?! That's quite a collection. I thought the Master Memovox is quite a decent buy although I have no money for any JLC. I think a cheaper alternative would be to buy an IWC GST Alarm, should have bought that instead of the fliegerchronograph. I am a fan of the Calibre 889 and its derivatives.

The Reverso Duo is very very nice, till I saw the price. Won't mind getting one if money comes easily. However given the opportunity, I would get a used Master Geographic before the Reverso Duo. Too many watches, too little money.

I love to read about watches especially the chap in Purists who tears apart a movement and analyse every single part. He owns a Seiko Grande by the way. ;)

We don't say Rolex are overrated just that the movement are not finished to purist standard. For the price it is OK and resale value are high as well. Explorer is a common watch and that is my first watch that started me on my collection. Roles datona chronograph is using a heavily modified Zenith El Primero movement. Zenith is famous for its El Primero movement due to the very fast beat of 1/10 sec.

shutterspeed said:
Do you think the Rolexes are overrated despite their popularity? Seen pix of the movement of an explorer and it looks as bad as my swatch auto watch. The saving grace is its microstellar balance.

Have read that the Rolex proprietary chronograph is not as 'good' as the Zenith version.

Well not all PP are expensive, Normal PP are affordable. I do have a PP which is 1/4 the price of a JLC. Well as they say you don't own it, it is for the next generation. :bsmilie:

Garion said:
Any Patek Phillippe owners here? :angel: (And no for the record I dun own one...I only drool at it through the shop window).

Dennis said:
Ahhh IWC GST Alarm, yes I have that too, very nice as well and using JLC movement. This watch is rather unique in its alarm, the sound are almost totally different when you wear it and when you don't. Flieger is too small for me but I do have the Dopple split second.

If the flieger is small, you must have a big wrist do you like wearing clocks on your wrists. :)

Not that I have a big wrist but I prefer big watch to smaller ones especially the like of pilot watch. Well as for clock don't you think hanging it around the neck will be more appropriate :bsmilie:

shutterspeed said:
If the flieger is small, you must have a big wrist do you like wearing clocks on your wrists. :)

Dennis said:
We don't say Rolex are overrated just that the movement are not finished to purist standard. For the price it is OK and resale value are high as well. Explorer is a common watch and that is my first watch that started me on my collection. Roles datona chronograph is using a heavily modified Zenith El Primero movement. Zenith is famous for its El Primero movement due to the very fast beat of 1/10 sec.

I think they're overrated because Rolex is charging $10k for the daytona which is considerably more expensive that a JLC Reverso Grand Date. Lets not forget that the buckle of a Rolex is stamped, which feels very cheap.

BTW, the Daytona is modified to beat at 6 beats per second which is not a lot different to a typical chronograph. More beats also equate to greater wear.

Dennis said:

Hi Dennis, what's a second-tier watch?

DennisLee said:
Hi Dennis, what's a second-tier watch?

When I refer to 2nd tier watch I meant to say that the watch brand are normally not finely finished and most likely do not have in-house complication. First tier are brands like PP, VC, Breguet, Lange etc. where everyone of their watches are finely finished. Most people do not refer to this anymore and moreover it is more and more difficult to draw the lines and is debated often without end.

shutterspeed said:
I think they're overrated because Rolex is charging $10k for the daytona which is considerably more expensive that a JLC Reverso Grand Date. Lets not forget that the buckle of a Rolex is stamped, which feels very cheap.

BTW, the Daytona is modified to beat at 6 beats per second which is not a lot different to a typical chronograph. More beats also equate to greater wear.

Yes Daytona is modified not only to 6 beats but also the positioning. BTW the El Primero movement although running at high beat does not seems to have any effect on wear. I have a Zenith purchased about 12 years ago but is still running fine with any problem.

would like to be able to spend some time at the Basel Fair this year....
but guess my chance has not come yet....anyway i hope that this
year's fair will showcase more models from all brands...

am eyeing a perpetual calendar ...would like a Lange n Sohne but guess that is really out of reach.....the cheapest perpetual in steel costs easily S$17k these days brand new!

otherwise, i am eyeing some 1970s Grand Seiko, Omegas, etc

hmm.. anyone know other shop that sell used watches beside timemonster, passions and peng kwee in singapore?

anyone here enjoy panerais?

i love them. simple look, very masculine too.

marican said:
anyone here enjoy panerais?

i love them. simple look, very masculine too.

I'm into Panerai right now. Just started early this year.
Sold my Explorer II, IWC Flieger, Chopard LUC 2000 and Kirium F1 for a 118 and 57 power reserve.
Just bought a Marathon SAR early this month as no more money to buy SeaDweller.
My next target will be the 1st tier watch, either AP chrono, PP 5107 or Langematik.

118 and 57 power reserve VERY NICE.
like the brown dial of the 118.

u could try getting a titanium/steel bracelet for the 118. but u need some micro adaptors to fit them. but it looks awesome.

Wah...all nice watches u guys mentioned. I got no luck with good watches, my 14 yrs old seiko simply outlast the omega and cartier I have...either they break down after 3 yrs or something will drop off.... :bheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.