Any Video expert around ? Advise needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poohbear

Aug 11, 2004
Sengkang
Looking for a video expert to give some advice. Just bought a 37" LCD TV and the salesman recommend us to buy some cable that look like RCA TYPE COMPOSITE VIDEO CABLE . Each cost around $88 dollars and I need to buy 9 of it. 3 will connect SCV digital box to LCD TV, 3 from SCV digital box to DVD recorder and another 3 from the DVD player to LCD TV. He said it will enhance the video output and maximise the HD LCD TV. Any expert out there would like to comment ?

Me not expert, but methinks the default cables that came with the dvd player is good enough.

Those expensive cable, not worth it. Just normal RCA cable with better quality only.

If you want to enjoy true HD power, only via HDMI or Component Cable. HDMI cable, their connection is like those cable from Computer. Component Cable, look like RCA but one end is special type. The color for Component Cable also different from RCA. It is RGB instead of Red, Yellow n White.

I also own a 37 inches LCD TV (JVC) and I use component cable for my DVD player. Then I will see the TV display the resolution. If you want to hit 1080p mode, maybe can get a Xbox 360 to try it out. ;p Any doubt, pm me lor, see how can I help. ;)

better cable = better quality. you pay for good stuff. but a normal one is good enough. you don't have to spend like 88bucks each on one of those cable when normal ones are much cheaper. you seriously can't tell the difference. it's the same as audio cable. though some audio cable are better quality and higher prices, you can only feel a slight slight difference.

BBTM said:
Those expensive cable, not worth it. Just normal RCA cable with better quality only.

If you want to enjoy true HD power, only via HDMI or Component Cable. HDMI cable, their connection is like those cable from Computer. Component Cable, look like RCA but one end is special type. The color for Component Cable also different from RCA. It is RGB instead of Red, Yellow n White.

I also own a 37 inches LCD TV (JVC) and I use component cable for my DVD player. Then I will see the TV display the resolution. If you want to hit 1080p mode, maybe can get a Xbox 360 to try it out. ;p Any doubt, pm me lor, see how can I help. ;)

So normal RGB Component cable good enough ? COmparing normal RCA and component cable got any big difference ??

Koelsch said:
better cable = better quality. you pay for good stuff. but a normal one is good enough. you don't have to spend like 88bucks each on one of those cable when normal ones are much cheaper. you seriously can't tell the difference. it's the same as audio cable. though some audio cable are better quality and higher prices, you can only feel a slight slight difference.

Thks for your info. Think at most will get the RGB component cable . Each of them cost $50 , but only need to get three set. Market price around there ??

poohbear said:
So normal RGB Component cable good enough ? COmparing normal RCA and component cable got any big difference ??

Normal Component Cable, for my case, was provided by the LCD TV. It is better than RCA cable as it is only for video only. RCA is for video/audio, therefore, also cannot match component. HD connection will be the best if you can have an output of 1080p (or i? (sorry, me not at home now, will pm you more detail) but for now, if not wrong, only Xbox360 can.

Since you got a digital box, you cannot use *** liao. Therefore, you just connect your Digital box to your TV via RCA. If you got a DVD recorder, you need to connect a RCA to the recorder else just leave it. Then connect your DVD recorder/player to the TV via the component cable. This way, you will get higher resolution while playing DVD disc. Then for sound, connect to a set of 5.1 (basic for DVD effect) via Component cable (Yellow Color) or Digital SPID.

Color from normal antenna not that good as I compare them in *** as both displaying same channel. Therefore, I recommended you to connect your digital box to TV via RCA since it is the only next available connecter. I don't know how much is your viewing distance but a recommended one, would be 3 X the height of the TV screen. Almost 10 foot for a 37 inches LCD TV. ;)

poohbear said:

The SCV cable box output is not high definition signal. in any case Singapore hasn't started high definition transmission yet. None of the TVs(LCD/PDP) sold in Singapore are HDTV(eventhough they claimed to be) signal ready. The expensive cables have better shielding against noise, but since you are not watching high definition signal anyway, using those cables will be an overkill:)

sunfish said:
The SCV cable box output is not high definition signal. in any case Singapore hasn't started high definition transmission yet. None of the TVs(LCD/PDP) sold in Singapore are HDTV(eventhough they claimed to be) signal ready. The expensive cables have better shielding against noise, but since you are not watching high definition signal anyway, using those cables will be an overkill:)

Rumors has it they are running a trial run on SCV Channel 22/23 on the upcoming world cup. Free to air TV will also be running a trial run in the mid of the year. By the way, how can they claim to be HD ready if it's like what you said ? and ya... they did mention something about shielding and impendance, all greek to me :confused: . Your personal opinion ? get RGB component cable for all or just normal RCA ?

poohbear said:
Rumors has it they are running a trial run on SCV Channel 22/23 on the upcoming world cup. Free to air TV will also be running a trial run in the mid of the year. By the way, how can they claim to be HD ready if it's like what you said ? and ya... they did mention something about shielding and impendance, all greek to me :confused: . Your personal opinion ? get RGB component cable for all or just normal RCA ?

RGB component cable for all unless your TV got all 3 or more connecter. ;p For mine, if not wrong, only 1 to 2. :think:

i doubt u will see much of a difference, maybe sharper a bit with better cables. but at $88 a pc, and nine pcs go get the latest micro 105 lens with VR la.....:lovegrin:

RCA composite video cable - Get Daiyo grade - enough. - I'm using these, but thick ones.

As for your DVDP - My component video cables costs $200 linking my DVDP to the TV, component cables are a little tricky. You gotta see how much "bandwidth" is the cable, I got mine custom terminated, cable is Canare with Canare interconnects. End result would be a richer, full-bodied colours and details.

poohbear said:

Hey buy one ordinary and one expensive quality, connect up and let your eyes judge. Can tell the diff, buy the expensive one, else normal will do.

poohbear said:

Yes, I have heard of it too:) . But whether it will be open to all viewers or not I am not sure. Oh, by the way, it is a digital TV transmission trial, don’t think SCV will be transmitting HD programs, there aren’t many HD programs available.

It sales tactic, claimed to be HDTV ready so as to attract buyers mah.:bsmilie:

The good cables have better shielding properties, however the improvement is not significant enough for non-HD signals. Similarly, impedance matching does reduce losses but it is barely noticeable in this case.

RGB, YPbPr, composite video are different type of signals. Your LCD TV and DVD recorder should be equipped with component video input/output, look out for the green, blue and red jacks labelled as YPbPr. Use this for your video signals, get the normal component video cable, the one with the green, blue and red RCA plugs. It should cost around $10.

For audio(sound) connection to TV, just get the normal red and white colour RCA cables will do.

Btw, if you are nearby Pasir Ris, I can pass you a component video cable for free, the normal one lah.;)

Just get a few normal RCA cable for connection via the composite connection. No need for expensive cable, frankly you will not see much difference.
The only difference I have seen with connection is HDMI and even than the contents have to be higher def than normal TV program.

sunfish said:
Yes, I have heard of it too:) . But whether it will be open to all viewers or not I am not sure. Oh, by the way, it is a digital TV transmission trial, don’t think SCV will be transmitting HD programs, there aren’t many HD programs available.

It sales tactic, claimed to be HDTV ready so as to attract buyers mah.:bsmilie:

The good cables have better shielding properties, however the improvement is not significant enough for non-HD signals. Similarly, impedance matching does reduce losses but it is barely noticeable in this case.

RGB, YPbPr, composite video are different type of signals. Your LCD TV and DVD recorder should be equipped with component video input/output, look out for the green, blue and red jacks labelled as YPbPr. Use this for your video signals, get the normal component video cable, the one with the green, blue and red RCA plugs. It should cost around $10.

For audio(sound) connection to TV, just get the normal red and white colour RCA cables will do.

Btw, if you are nearby Pasir Ris, I can pass you a component video cable for free, the normal one lah.;)

ok I'm lost :bsmilie: :bsmilie: .

Unless you have sharp eyes where you can spot tiny details else just get the normal one or use the one that come with it. You can always replaced them later if you are not satify.

for video, recommend that u get a pair of good s-video cable. those RCA-type composite video (often marked as a yellow plug) do not offer high quality compared to s-video or component video.

take note that for larger video screens, it's more important that the characteristic impedance of the cable is critically matched to the system, else mismatches in the impedance may result in ghosting artifacts (due to reflections of the signals back and forth).

Status
Not open for further replies.