Any versatile DVD player(s) to recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi and need your help again.

Can you recommend a relatively cheap yet versatile DVD player which is region free, can read discs of various format, i.e. DVD-R, -RW, +R, +RW and such?

Got a set of DVDs (original okay) from China recently and was disappointed that only some can played on my DVD Recorder (it's a Pioneer and it cost me more than $1k some 2 months ago!).

I'll be getting it for my mum but I'll still get the chance to use it though ... ;)

Any recommendations? TIA! ;)

Shinco... cheap & good, plays all regions, hasn't died on us yet. But don't expect high end features like true progressive scan etc.

Think its about 299 with surround speakers.

MoriMori said:
Shinco... cheap & good, plays all regions, hasn't died on us yet. But don't expect high end features like true progressive scan etc.

Think its about 299 with surround speakers.

Thanks dude! Any particular model to recommend? Just want the player only ... ;)

nothing can be more versatile than the Momitsu. scales to 720p and 1080i., component, VGA and DVI outputs

http://www.fastlogic.com.sg/video.php

V880DX - less than $500 (i got the old model for $399. Current model apparently has upgraded sound/pic quality)

or V880N - with 10/100 Ethernet port and PCMCIA slot for 802.1.b card for fully networked capability :)

erwinx said:
nothing can be more versatile than the Momitsu. scales to 720p and 1080i., component, VGA and DVI outputs

V880DX - less than $500 (i got the old model for $399. Current model apparently has upgraded sound/pic quality)

or V880N - with 10/100 Ethernet port and PCMCIA slot for 802.1.b card for fully networked capability :)

You mean I can plug it to my router, use it to play all my stuff from my PC to the TV? ;)

erwinx said:

erwinx, this is really interesting. I just bought a HD DVD recoder from Japan for 720p, 1080i content playback :(

can try shinco..

Adam Goi said:
You mean I can plug it to my router, use it to play all my stuff from my PC to the TV? ;)

Yup:
v880n_lanparty.jpg

http://www.momitsu.com/dvd_880n_lan.html

Fastlogic is next to Sim Lim (opening hours a bit odd so call) and Daniel is very friendly so you can consult him hookup etc.

eh... didn't know there is such things...

so how does this entire network thingi works?... So does the player act as a server or a client receiving streaming?...

Adam Goi said:

Can you recommend a relatively cheap yet versatile DVD player which is region free, can read discs of various format, i.e. DVD-R, -RW, +R, +RW and such?

Got a set of DVDs (original okay) from China recently and was disappointed that only some can played on my DVD Recorder (it's a Pioneer and it cost me more than $1k some 2 months ago!).

I'll be getting it for my mum but I'll still get the chance to use it though ... ;)

You could try searching the Internet for a multi-region hack for your DVD recorder or any DVD player that you intend to purchase. It should involve pressing certain buttons on your remote.

If you don't need all the whizbang stuff, get the Philips 642. It plays everything including DIVX stuff, is firmware upgradeable and has the "it will play anything you throw at it" warranty from Philips :) I have a couple of DVDs which won't play on my LG player which plays on my friend's 642.

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
If you don't need all the whizbang stuff, get the Philips 642. It plays everything including DIVX stuff, is firmware upgradeable and has the "it will play anything you throw at it" warranty from Philips :) I have a couple of DVDs which won't play on my LG player which plays on my friend's 642.

Regards
CK

Thanks ... just checked it out from the website ... cannot play DVD-R/-RW leh ...

Adam Goi said:
Hi erwinx.

Any idea how much does it cost? ;)

not sure, i guess a few hundred bucks more than the non-networked one? if you pop down in person, you'll find their service pretty good.

The V880N has an optional version not brought into Singapore with video input. With that option, you send video from your SCV box and X-box into the DVD player, and the DVD player outputs it as 720p and 1080i ;)

:embrass: maybe can try the 'enzar' brand.
my friend got it and he said that it can play whatever disk he put in.
even those that can't be play in branded player. ;)

Adam Goi said:

Hi Adam,

I faced the same problem before too, Pioneer player is indeed a good system and it's very sensitive to the disc it play :)

If you want, you can try the Philips player...

Hi, just want to share my experience with Philips products. I used to have one of those DVD players that is slot loaded. Graphics and sound quality is really superb and it can play almost all kinds of DVDs. But after almost 3 yrs, it had problems reading DVDs and when I sent back to them, they say that the slot mechanism was faulty and it would be cheaper to just buy a new one. Those using tray loading shd be quite safe I reckon.

What I noticed from my experience and a couple of my friends' experience (involving a hi-fi and a TV) is that their products tend to break down just about the 3rd year and its out of warranty and they will charge labour cost of $70 to fix anything and that is not counting the cost of any parts they have to replace. So if you do your sums right, nowadays a decent DVD player will only cost $150-$200 and fixing it would cost $70 + replacement part, so you'll be better off getting a new one. My friend was gripping that even though he offered to drive the TV down, he still has to pay $70 for labour. Just imagine...

I've since settled on a LG player which is like only abt $170 and its great except it doesn't play divx. If you're particular about picture quality, pls make sure you ask the salesperson to let you view the picture before you buy it. I managed to convince the salesperson to help me compare between this and a Shinco which is similarly priced and the quality of the LG defintely blew the Shinco away though the salesperson didn't really care (so typical of Best Denki employees). So if you have one of those new and spanky 100Hz flat-screen TVs, pleeease, do yourself a favour. Or at least test it before you buy it for your comfort level.

Oh by the way, I chose LG cos its the only player (that's not one of those china brands) that has the analog surround sound decoder built-in. Its your choice. ;)

One thing good abt Shinco is that it is able to play almost any disc... even those u duplicated to your brandless DVD+-R ... I hv one Toshiba DVD player juz afew months old which plays . but skip and skip.. whereas my Shinco is almost 4 yrs old :confused:

U just want a DVD player right?

There's a shop mega-something (pun NOT intended), selling Samsung Multicoded DVD Player that supports DVD+R/RW etc... at $99, United Square (Novena MRT).

I just got one. :D and it can play images on CD-R (JPEGS) in slide show too!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.