Any user of 18-200, 55-200 & 55-300

cjtks said:
But mine is a DX cam, D5100 leh. Dun think 70-200 can fit mine. Can it ? :dunno:

All nikon af-s lenses dx or fx will fit, meter and autofocus on the D5100.

The AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II can fit on the D5100. I used it on the D5000 before i my D800 was available in April.

Attached photo shot on the D5000 with AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II
D5000_280312_120.jpg

cjtks said:
But mine is a DX cam, D5100 leh. Dun think 70-200 can fit mine. Can it ? :dunno:

Yes it can.

Oops you all has been recommend the out of topic here..

From 18mm to 300mm and now become a 70-200mm VR2??

Ha ha to be throw in too much poisoning...

For my option can be decide on 55-300mm or 18-200mm VR2 or either go directly into 18-300mm at end story.

rain5533 said:
Oops you all has been recommend the out of topic here..

From 18mm to 300mm and now become a 70-200mm VR2??

Ha ha to be throw in too much poisoning...

For my option can be decide on 55-300mm or 18-200mm VR2 or either go directly into 18-300mm at end story.

Lol. Shhh. Don't let the TS know we're poisoning him. ;-)

rain5533 said:
Not lah is a bodies too small to carry the lens all the way.. Do you imaging that??

Then hold it by the lens.

TS, for a start, I would recommend a 55-200mm. For the price of sub-$200 lens (2nd hand), it deliver excellent results. If you need the reach, I would suggest u to skip the 55-300mm and jump straight for a 70-300 VR. To me the built of the 55-300mm is too plasticky for the price it command, another $200+ will get u a better built lens with better motor and a distance "can be use on FX in the future" reasoning. Also note that the front element of the 55-300mm rotates with it focus, like the 18-55 kit lens.

rain5533 said:
Not lah is a bodies too small to carry the lens all the way.. Do you imaging that??

There's a tripod collar on the 70-200mm for a reason. It fits ballhead and side-sling strap.

Cowseye said:
There's a tripod collar on the 70-200mm for a reason. It fits ballhead and side-sling strap.

Nope lah, just imaging the 800mm mount on D4 ha ha...

But TS wanna use the lens for street walk or traveling too :)

Last edited:
rain5533 said:
Nope lah, just imaging the 800mm mount on D4 ha ha...

But TS wanna use the lens for street walk or traveling too :)

I used to have the sigma 150 - 500mm. Have travelled a lot with it on my d7k. For street... :)

@ TS:

Don't be too caught up with IQ of lens as there is arguably no end to it. Animals can go extint, buildings can be demolished, landscapes will change and there is no way to turn back the clock. Sharper lens, as technology improves, there will always be sharper lens or imaging options.

Most importantly, always remember why you got a D5100 and how you wanted to use it in the first place and purchase within your comfort zone.

Be it 55-200 or the 70-200, both fulfilled my intentions. Between a Brand new S$250+ 55-200 and a Brand new S$ 3100 70-200, i still captured images that i can retain as fond memories of my travels and share with my family and friends.

For such intentions, between the price delta of the 2 lens, being able to see more of the world, capture them in their as it state, to me is personally countless times worth while than have a pricey state of the art lens but have much lesser opportunities to travel out S'pore. Again, thats my personal point of view, everyone is different so, stick to what you believe and go with it.

The AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II can fit on the D5100. I used it on the D5000 before i my D800 was available in April.

Attached photo shot on the D5000 with AF-S 70-200 f/2.8G VR II
D5000_280312_120.jpg

@ TS:

Don't be too caught up with IQ of lens as there is arguably no end to it. Animals can go extint, buildings can be demolished, landscapes will change and there is no way to turn back the clock. Sharper lens, as technology improves, there will always be sharper lens or imaging options.

Most importantly, always remember why you got a D5100 and how you wanted to use it in the first place and purchase within your comfort zone.

Be it 55-200 or the 70-200, both fulfilled my intentions. Between a Brand new S$250+ 55-200 and a Brand new S$ 3100 70-200, i still captured images that i can retain as fond memories of my travels and share with my family and friends.

For such intentions, between the price delta of the 2 lens, being able to see more of the world, capture them in their as it state, to me is personally countless times worth while than have a pricey state of the art lens but have much lesser opportunities to travel out S'pore. Again, thats my personal point of view, everyone is different so, stick to what you believe and go with it.

Well bro, agreed with your points mentioned...:thumbsup:, especially on 'Don't be too caught up with IQ of lens.....;), (...during Travel/holidays where one/you really want to Fully Enjoy your trips, instead of, receiving/getting "Stress-out:sweat:-during-one's-trip/holiday"...= why 'paid' to get stress instead of fully enjoying leh:mad2:...not worth=$$Money$$-not-well-spent lor!!!

Not unless it's some 'Paid-shoots/assignments, if so, then be prepared to face the "Music...:complain:" liao-lor...(in terms of the IQ...)...horhorhor!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it even if it's poisoning, LOL ! :bsmilie: I'm not a pro and only started DSLR usage in this Feb so a 70-300 is out for me now. However, at least now I knw how good it is ! :)
Next, I dun br DSLR for overseas trip as I wanna travel lite so I br a compact cam. My DSLR is only for local usage (hobbies) and of non commercial purposes. However, I still prefer a better IQ lens and consider the fact that L lens are too much ($) for a beginner, that's why I shortlist the stated 3 as my targets. Looks like 55-200 is winning the race. ;) Any more comments ? :cool:

Best wishes going forward, Enjoy photography and no lens is too poor to capture priceless memories.

Photo taken in Greece, Santorini with D5000 and 18-55mm kit lens.

DSC_0792_01_-_Copy_640x425_.jpg

Best wishes going forward, Enjoy photography and no lens is too poor to capture priceless memories.

Photo taken in Greece, Santorini with D5000 and 18-55mm kit lens.

DSC_0792_01_-_Copy_640x425_.jpg
Wow...nice shot. :thumbsup:

cjtks said:
Wow...nice shot. :thumbsup:

Yes correct, all the kit lens if come with the body itself. If you can learn from what style you can shoots or have any good place for you to shots it up.. At the end all your photos still nice and great.

Even no skill can be getting the 70-200 VR2 and only shoot with HDB flat. You think it is worth?

rain5533 said:
Yes correct, all the kit lens if come with the body itself. If you can learn from what style you can shoots or have any good place for you to shots it up.. At the end all your photos still nice and great.

Even no skill can be getting the 70-200 VR2 and only shoot with HDB flat. You think it is worth?

Eh HDB flat very lau kuei meh? Our national icon you know.

Another vote for 55-200. I have the 80-200/2.8AFD 2 touch. In the sweet spot of the 55-200 the difference is very small. I travel with 18-55 and 55-200, or some small prime lenses, instead of my he-man rig.