Any tripod recommendation ?


Status
Not open for further replies.

sweeper

New Member
Mar 25, 2005
1,328
0
0
#1
I am thinking of getting a tripod for my dslr
my budget is ard SGD 150 - 300 (tripod + head)
any recommendation ?
btw, whats the advantage of using a ballhead vs 2/3 axis pan and tilt ?
 

Navyblue

New Member
Apr 21, 2005
80
0
0
38
Sembawang, Singapore
#2
Do a search here and you'll find a lot of comparison and opinion.

In a nutshell:
A ball head is easier to adjust (only 1 knob), but a little harder to fine tune. Better for general use and action.

A 3 way pan & tilt head is harder to manipulate (it has 3 knobs), but easier to fine tune. Better for architecture, landscape and other static things. Where it is important to make sure your view is level.
 

Navyblue

New Member
Apr 21, 2005
80
0
0
38
Sembawang, Singapore
#3
With your budget, it is more than enough to get a lower end manfrotto tripod with a lower end ball or 3 way pan & tilt head.
 

donchua

Senior Member
Nov 30, 2004
8,167
0
0
Tampines
#4
Can consider a Manfrotto 190PROB and 486RC2 Ball Head.
If want Panhead, maybe 141RC0 around $85 at CP.

Last quoted price around 1 month ago:

190PROB - CP $150, AP $139
486RC2 - CP $85, AP $75

All price after GST.

Pic & spec of the head can be found HERE
For the 190PROB, you can see the pic & spec at Manfrotto site.
 

GriGri

New Member
Mar 27, 2005
1,906
0
0
NTU
#5
i got a related question here: what are the suitable ball heads for G1126? I'd like to find one with quick release, but not too heavy as the tripod is light. thanks.
 

walker

New Member
Mar 7, 2005
131
0
0
KayuTanah (w00dLaNds)
#8
U sure the tripod is $150?? S$ or US$? i bought it recently with S$220 lei...

donchua said:
Can consider a Manfrotto 190PROB and 486RC2 Ball Head.
If want Panhead, maybe 141RC0 around $85 at CP.

Last quoted price around 1 month ago:

190PROB - CP $150, AP $139
486RC2 - CP $85, AP $75

All price after GST.

Pic & spec of the head can be found HERE
For the 190PROB, you can see the pic & spec at Manfrotto site.
 

donchua

Senior Member
Nov 30, 2004
8,167
0
0
Tampines
#9
walker said:
U sure the tripod is $150?? S$ or US$? i bought it recently with S$220 lei...
Peninsular CP & Funan AP got quote US$ meh?

The above were what i was quoted by the 2 shop and in SG$, but I manage to
get a around 6 months old set (190PROB & 486RC2) for $170.

Anyway, one can always call 6338 0451 CP tripod section and ask.

BTW, your $220 include ballhead boh??
If $220 for the 190PROB only, where you bought it? :think:
 

donchua

Senior Member
Nov 30, 2004
8,167
0
0
Tampines
#10
1 year plus 190PROB for sale at $100 HERE

Get it at $100 & buy a new 486RC2 still a good deal.. ;)
 

sweeper

New Member
Mar 25, 2005
1,328
0
0
#12
thanks for the info :)

seems like Manfrotto 190PROB's the only choice ? :think:
 

seankyh

New Member
Nov 30, 2004
802
0
0
43
Singapore
www.pbase.com
#13
In the last PC show I saw a Nikon branded one going for SGD120. It is also ball and joint one. Anyone saw it and what do you think about it?
There is another IT show coming up in June.
 

donchua

Senior Member
Nov 30, 2004
8,167
0
0
Tampines
#14
seankyh said:
In the last PC show I saw a Nikon branded one going for SGD120. It is also ball and joint one. Anyone saw it and what do you think about it?
There is another IT show coming up in June.
The tripod also come free with D70 package.
Quite a few sold off the tripod for around $60 to $80 after buying the D70 .
I got an offer of $60 for it but I choose Manfrotto over the Nikon one.
 

#15
seankyh said:
In the last PC show I saw a Nikon branded one going for SGD120. It is also ball and joint one. Anyone saw it and what do you think about it?
There is another IT show coming up in June.
I'm using that now actually.. ;p

It's quite a sturdy tripod...

The whole thing came with a tripod bag (which cannot fit the tripod with the ball head screwed on, kinda strange) and even had a spare quick release plate, which I thought was pretty nice. :)
 

Navyblue

New Member
Apr 21, 2005
80
0
0
38
Sembawang, Singapore
#16
jaix said:
I'm using that now actually.. ;p

It's quite a sturdy tripod...

The whole thing came with a tripod bag (which cannot fit the tripod with the ball head screwed on, kinda strange) and even had a spare quick release plate, which I thought was pretty nice. :)
Not sure if we are talking about the same tripod, I use a Nikon tripod with the ballhead too. Mine can fit in the bag if you bend the head to the side.
 

#17
Navyblue said:
Not sure if we are talking about the same tripod, I use a Nikon tripod with the ballhead too. Mine can fit in the bag if you bend the head to the side.
Hmmm... think it's highly possible that we're using the same tripod.

The tripod bag has a base... and the top sort of zips up all the way? I can't seem to fit the legs into the base... so my tripod goes in head first (without the ballhead) and the legs would be at the portion where the zip is.

Yikes... maybe I have gotten the orientation wrong all this while?

:dunno:
 

Navyblue

New Member
Apr 21, 2005
80
0
0
38
Sembawang, Singapore
#18
jaix said:
Hmmm... think it's highly possible that we're using the same tripod.

The tripod bag has a base... and the top sort of zips up all the way? I can't seem to fit the legs into the base... so my tripod goes in head first (without the ballhead) and the legs would be at the portion where the zip is.

Yikes... maybe I have gotten the orientation wrong all this while?

:dunno:
Yup... looks like the same, the bag has a round base and the top is sort of pointed.

I think I can fit the tripod no matter head or leg end first. ;p But either way the head need to be bent for the zip the close up.
 

#19
Navyblue said:
Yup... looks like the same, the bag has a round base and the top is sort of pointed.

I think I can fit the tripod no matter head or leg end first. ;p But either way the head need to be bent for the zip the close up.
Drats! Looks like I did get my orientation wrong all this time! :embrass:

Strange... I did remember that initially when I brought it home... I had trouble trying to fit it legs first. That's why I fit it heads first after that.

Will try again tomorrow... ;)
 

GriGri

New Member
Mar 27, 2005
1,906
0
0
NTU
#20
hey guys, i already bought 486rc2 for my 1126. so far so good. thanks.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom