any tips to improve manual focusing skill?

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i am not mistaken, there is a rather faster way when using manual lens.

switch to Av mode and AF-S. fully press the shutter button and slowly turn the focusing ring. the pic will be taken once the focus is in.

but not sure if still can use the green button or not haha...

Well, green button stop down metering works only in M mode, but the AF-S technique you described works in M mode. I've used it before

wow that a nice lens..sharp,good colour and quite fast...

maybe good to in the hands of old bird shooter.....in my hand, if the lens have emotions, i think it will cry.....

yup from wuhanish...but i am totaly idiot in MF thats why i started this thread...

Nah... don't say that. You're just very conscious about the incompetence in using manual focus lens. Just keep at it, then can be very competent.... just like Baracus. :D

u can try stopping down the aperture more and use the guidelines on your m50mm 1.7 lens to help.

if i am not mistaken, there is a rather faster way when using manual lens.

switch to Av mode and AF-S. fully press the shutter button and slowly turn the focusing ring. the pic will be taken once the focus is in.

but not sure if still can use the green button or not haha...

There is a setting for catch in focus on the Kx. Look it up in the menu and enable it. To use it, set to M mode (actually A mode works, but lens will be wide open for a non 'A' lens), take the exposure reading by pressing the green button. Next, point at the subject and press down the shutter button. Keep the button down and focus. The shutter will release when the focus is confirmed.

u can try stopping down the aperture more and use the guidelines on your m50mm 1.7 lens to help.

ooooo......i tried that but underexpo my shots....then i try turn on the build in flash in manual mode...oh my god......all become White screen of death.....

Last edited:
ooooo......i tried that but underexpo my shots....then i try turn on the build in flash in munal mode...my god......all become White screen of death.....

hehe, u can bump up your kx's iso anytime.

this 1 is lighting/exposure problem liao..use a flash diffuser (can DIY) or try to -EV on the flash settings, i assume u are using built-in flash..

ooooo......i tried that but underexpo my shots....then i try turn on the build in flash in manual mode...oh my god......all become White screen of death.....

Hahahaha... welcome to the world of manual focus. Actually, it's Basic Photography 101 - how to determine exposure. You need to google Sunny f16 rule and understand what does EV means. In terms of their numbers.

Otherwise, just go by trial and error. I'm recommending trial and error only because you're using digital and not film. :bsmilie:

Also remember to use the green button and adjust the aperture/shutter speed to taste. For me, getting the correct exposure is the challenge. Usually, i have to increase the shutterspeed by 2 stops. Again, this is highly subjective. Customize it, so that it will make you happy.

You can set an EV compensation bias and leave it there. The green button metering will take this into consideration when metering.

this 1 is lighting/exposure problem liao..use a flash diffuser (can DIY) or try to -EV on the flash settings, i assume u are using built-in flash..

yup build in flash with DIY diffuser aka toilet paper.....even -2 EV still white screen of death... but its fun..... bumping up iso as mention by eselite work very well......

Last edited:

If you are under exposing your shots when you stop down your lens, most likely you are using M mode without using the green button for stop down metering.

If you are under exposing your shots when you stop down your lens, most likely you are using M mode without using the green button for stop down metering.

oooooooo.........yes i dont know about the function of the green button.....will explore more on this.....thank u

You can set an EV compensation bias and leave it there. The green button metering will take this into consideration when metering.

Thanks pinholecam... that's what I did eventually. After many bad shots. Now as long as i remember Mr Green Button before shooting. The results are quite decent. :)

oooooooo.........yes i dont know about the function of the green button.....will explore more on this.....thank u

Poseur, I'm very proud of your enthusiasm. Straightaways go B&S to buy a magnifying eyepiece. Must take your time and enjoy the process... okie? Keep practising.

Now shoot static object, next time you can manual focus on a flying insect and still get a sharp shot. ;p There are a couple other topics to explore when using MF.... step at a time. :)

Poseur, I'm very proud of your enthusiasm. Straightaways go B&S to buy a magnifying eyepiece. Must take your time and enjoy the process... okie? Keep practising.

Now shoot static object, next time you can manual focus on a flying insect and still get a sharp shot. ;p There are a couple other topics to explore when using MF.... step at a time. :)

hehehe.....LBA....i want to try prime but no budget to buy DA...so try manual first. but actually it quite fun to use manual......good to learn...i practise will all the tips in this thread and oh my god.. i am actually improving

Status
Not open for further replies.