Any Tips for whale shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miles

Jun 11, 2004
EAST
Hi

Anyone can give tips for shooting for whale watching trips? What range of glass will be good? Eg. 300mm enough?

Thanks!

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
that depends how far away the whale is...

Oh well agree its all down to chance really. Reason why i asking is that if there is a higher probability of the whales being further than nearer most of time....then i wont bother with the long glass. Some more IMO on boat w/o len stabiliation and long lens...not a good combo...hmm.

Last time I went whale watching they got very close to the boat. The best shot I took that day was with a cheap disposable panorama camera of a baby whale right next to the boat. :cool:

Based on that experiance I would not bring a 300mm :)

Miles said:
Hi

Anyone can give tips for shooting for whale watching trips? What range of glass will be good? Eg. 300mm enough?

Thanks!

wow.. where are you going for a whale shoot? sounds like it will be an amazing experience!

from what i saw on discovery channel, they use zoom lens such as 70mm-200mm but the lens must be fast, say, f2.8 and above for best effect as the boat will be rocking/moving a lot while the whales will move pretty quick.

also, lens with VR, IS will not help you at all due to the 'rockiness' of the boat.

yah... if your camera is weather proof that is the best, if not, some plastic bag wrapping or underwater casing will help protect your equipment.

Some kinda of plastic cover or large bag - whale's breath has a lot of whale saliva and mucous - if it hits the lens by the time you clean off the whales will be gone.

Check with tour opperator how close they will bring you and work accordingly.

Oh may be just going one of the whale tour thingys......its rather more touristy than the real deal national geo/ discovery stuff.

K didnt really think about the elements part until you guys mentioned it. Havent shot from a boat before. Thanks! will bring extra protection:D

i believe a wide-angle lens would do juz fine.. Do bring along a circular polariser as it will do u great help. coz u're out shooting in the seas.. but depending on which time of the day u're shooting as well..

and REMEMBER to clean all ur eqpt after the shoot or at the end of the day. coz u'll really gonna need dat... :)

cheers..

Normally when shooting whales from a boat I'll use lenses ranging from 17mm to 600mm in focal length including a zoom in the range of 70~80-200mm.

Often the best breaches etc are quite aways from the boat, while up close the whales tend to breathe and just move slowly. Other kit that's a must is a monopod if you have long glass.

i was on a whale watching trip last year... Sydney..

brought my sigma 70-200mm and a 2x extnder...
thats quite good enough..
and to be honest... the most important thing is to pray for the whales to turn up.. and with an attitude to wanna be notti ;)
so they will hump and breathe....

whale.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.