Any tips for taking pic at a bowling outing/event??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris wong

Aug 4, 2005
Am been ask in some indirect way to take photo for my compy bolwing event.Any guys out there to willing to share some guide/tips?

I feel like its going to be something like a wedding shoot e.g.
*take pic of the big bosses in the compy
*group photo
*prize giving
*candid
*speech by boss/anyone...

Anything to add on?

if flash can make sure hand stable use rear sync if u want the nice bowling motion effects.

+evenstar said:
flash is not allowed at such areas unless permission is granted by the organiser as it'll affect the bowlers

Hummmmmm,,,,,,never know that flash can't be use.What you mean is can't point that the player at the along the lane from the side??am taking photo for my compy can i take with flash without asking???

But i can still use flash when taking pic at the "sitting area"....?

chris wong said:
Hummmmmm,,,,,,never know that flash can't be use.What you mean is can't point that the player at the along the lane from the side??am taking photo for my compy can i take with flash without asking???

But i can still use flash when taking pic at the "sitting area"....?
it's a general rule that no flash photography is allowed for indoor sports. just leave ur flash in ur bag and use it only for group photos

+evenstar said:
it's a general rule that no flash photography is allowed for indoor sports. just leave ur flash in ur bag and use it only for group photos

Wow that is going to be ticky..Hummm high ISO e.g.800.....?not what i really want to do,but i think can't be help..

Anyway i'll ask about the flash thing before i fire away.

Thanks evenstar.....

chris wong said:
Wow that is going to be ticky..Hummm high ISO e.g.800.....?not what i really want to do,but i think can't be help..

Thanks evenstar.....

ISO 800-1600 depend on lighting and your aperature wide open...

Any tips on angle to shoot??Or just fire away??

I feel that taking bowling event is not a very often thing unlike wedding...

chris wong said:
Any tips on angle to shoot??Or just fire away??

I feel that taking bowling event is not a very often thing unlike wedding...

Try different ones... some may work, some may not. You won't know until you've tried. But I dun think you should be in the lanes trying to take a pic of the ball rolling towards you though. :bsmilie:

Most shots I've seen for bowling is the safe ones where the shooter is standing besides or behind the bowler (a few meters away, so as not to disrupt their concentration) So it's up to you to choose an angle which you'd like to try from.

chris wong said:

Thanks evenstar.....

the last thing any sportmans wants is to be disturbed or distracted. even if you stand behind them and flash, that can be distracting to some people.

bowling especially, is a game of mental concentration. so even if your organiser says its ok, as a common courtesy, i would never use flash at an indoor sporting event.

just bump up ISO. alternatively, use big mama aperture lens... if you dont have, maybe ask if they have budget for you to rent one for the day..

chris wong said:
Am been ask in some indirect way to take photo for my compy bowling event.Any guys out there to willing to share some guide/tips?

I feel like its going to be something like a wedding shoot e.g.
*take pic of the big bosses in the compy
*group photo
*prize giving
*candid
*speech by boss/anyone...

Anything to add on?

never shot a bowling alley before but worked there before so the first rule is never step on the lane, its OILED!

do not fall and hurt yourself.

next i will not use the flash if i was you, just shoot with wide aperture lenses aka f1-f1.8 types.

Almost all my candids are done without flash, its more natural this way, indoors or outdoors. its much harder and takes more skill to nail your shots.

next i get a general zoom to shoot prize giving and speech, maybe i whip out the flash this time.

Oh if i'm hampered by the lack of equipment and have to cover for free, i rather pass on and decline the task. If i screwed up everyone will remember i did a bad job and may reflect on my performance. i rather fake an MC and relaxed at home.

you call anyways, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.