Any tips for taking photography in the club?

Hi to all the Seniors over here.

I'm Jaee and currently wish to know more about Nightclub photography.
Is there any tips that you all can give me?
I'm currently using Canon EOS 500D
Lens is Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 Non-VC
Digital Speedlite Flash is Nissin di866 Mark II.

I found out that when I took pictures in the club with this equipments,
I could not really show the back lights of the clubs. (E.G : Disco lights, Spots lights, Lasers)
When I took pictures of people. It looks okay for me but I can't seems to see those Disco lights around shining.
It's like a huge light just slam on the whole back ground. Sometimes it's a little smoky though.

I remember my setting for my flash exposure on my Nissin di866 was 0
Shutter speed was 1/200
ISO 400, f/2.8.
This is the setting my friend did for me.
But ended up isn't the outcome I wanted. So any of you can give me some tips?

Sorry for being dumb as I'm quite a newbie in nightclub photography.

Hi to all the Seniors over here.

I'm Jaee and currently wish to know more about Nightclub photography.
Is there any tips that you all can give me?
I'm currently using Canon EOS 500D
Lens is Tamron 17-55mm f/2.8 Non-VC
Digital Speedlite Flash is Nissin di866 Mark II.

I found out that when I took pictures in the club with this equipments,
I could not really show the back lights of the clubs. (E.G : Disco lights, Spots lights, Lasers)
When I took pictures of people. It looks okay for me but I can't seems to see those Disco lights around shining.
It's like a huge light just slam on the whole back ground. Sometimes it's a little smoky though.

I remember my setting for my flash exposure on my Nissin di866 was 0
Shutter speed was 1/200
ISO 400, f/2.8.
This is the setting my friend did for me.
But ended up isn't the outcome I wanted. So any of you can give me some tips?

Sorry for being dumb as I'm quite a newbie in nightclub photography.

You have to remember the white balance thing.Flash is practically daylight and you wonder why the stage lighting do not show up.
The flash has overpowered the stage lighting.Members have suggested rear curtain sync.Also remember if camera eg. states 1/200
sec. flash sync.You can technically can use any speed slower up the the capability of your hands to prevent shake but you have image
stabaliser activated.1/15 sec. is feasable and allow the stage background to be exposed by stage lights and the flash fills the shadows
of the performer and foreground.

Because the camera or flash meter will be fooled (over expose) so need to compensate by negative EV. -1EV to - 1.3EV should be around the ballpark.This will give the saturated deep colour of the stage lights.You can also use coloured gels on the flash head to enhance colour and or adjust the zoom angle of the flash coverage to limit over spill of the foreground.Cut the power of flash output to 1/2 or 1/3 power too.

Another thing to try is experimenting with white balance.Try setting tungsten to give a warmer feel or look of the red and yellow stage lights.Let us know of the outcome. :)

Last edited:
Drag the shutter.