any tips for spotting wildlife better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisthetiger

Mar 30, 2005
jurong west
www.wix.com
hi guys need to get some advice and tips for tracking and spotting wildlife in the dense rainforest..i have been shooting wildlife since i started photography but i am still finding it hard to spot the rich wildlife in the forest esp those smaller creatures..had seen many pros got shots of rare animals and was wondering if there is some technique to track or spot them.. usually its the the rustle of leaves which would indicate to me that something is lurking around..but otherwise i have a hard time locating them..

Me no waildlife shooter, but if you really want to know, I guess locating and tracking wildlife to photograph is no different than locating and tracking game to hunt - geographical locations, how to use maps and GPS to zoom in on an area, knowing the terrain, feeding habits, mating habits, seasonal stuff, homes or nesting areas, a particularly species' habits and offense/defense mechanisms ... all that kinda stuff that primes you with advantageous knowledge.

Basically, if you can think like the animal in question, you should be able to out-think it.

Look up the US hunting forums and look for discussions/articles or links specifically related to locating and tracking game. You should find tons of hints and tips, some of which may not be relevant depending on what sort of wildlife you're talking about.

me no wildlife shooter as well
except for bugs

get to know your target and it's habits
but look for signs on the ground, droppings ... .. etc etc
once you have identified the location that the critter frequents just build a hide and wait for it.

drinking spots is a good place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.