Any tips for shooting the DreamCars Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

May 14, 2005
Wondering what kind of lens, what WB setting, and any other
tips that is applicable :)

I think with your current lens assortment and using high ISO with fill flash, you will get a lot of good car shots.

Cheers,

My bag is small so I am able to only bring two or three lens, EF50 F1.8 for portrait
and still cars, EF55-200 for panning action, EF28-135, F3.5-5.6 IS USM as a backup.
Will also pick up a 420Ex flash on the way.
Am I well prepared for the event?

I am bringing only 1 lens - 85/1.4
:devil:

85mm? But it's so difficult stand far away and always interrupted
by other visitors who walk back and forth. ;)

dRebelXT said:
85mm? But it's so difficult stand far away and always interrupted
by other visitors who walk back and forth. ;)

I am going for headshots only :p
:bsmilie:

I see.

As for the Raw data in RebelXT, does it mean lossless compression instead of BMP
format? When the camera compresses JPEG, what is the quality level the camera
uses? is it possible to set the quality level to be 98%?

dRebelXT said:
I see.

As for the Raw data in RebelXT, does it mean lossless compression instead of BMP
format? When the camera compresses JPEG, what is the quality level the camera
uses? is it possible to set the quality level to be 98%?

Normally when setting jpg compression, you may have settings like superfine, fine, standard, and low. These will define the quality level.

i thought superfine/fine/... is used to specify the number of pixels of the image? ;)
confused with my old PS cam.
Maybe Superfine still no good enough, one may like to do near-lossless compression
while stay away from the trouble of handling RAW files. :)

Bring spare battery and memory card

dRebelXT said:
Wondering what kind of lens, what WB setting, and any other
tips that is applicable :)

Hi Fren,

lens - wide angle, telephoto and portrait lens.

WB settings - auto , you may chk the lighting condition first b4 u set to auto.

ISO - 400

Use flash with soften omnibounce. dont use direct flash as dark shadow appeared at the back. Maybe you can play with the EV setting such as +1 to -1.

dRebelXT said:
i thought superfine/fine/... is used to specify the number of pixels of the image? ;)
confused with my old PS cam.
Maybe Superfine still no good enough, one may like to do near-lossless compression
while stay away from the trouble of handling RAW files. :)

No number of pixels is determined by the resolution. As long as you use the highest setting ie. superfine and largest jpg size, it should be good enough. That will give you something quite close to raw. Raw is more for situations where you want the flexibility of changing exposure, white balance and things like that AFTER you took the photo.

i always use daylight WB, iso800, 1/60 or 1/30 if the subject not moving. dunno if ok?

Paul_Yeo said:
i always use daylight WB, iso800, 1/60 or 1/30 if the subject not moving. dunno if ok?

Ok or not will depend on the lens and the focal length you use. But I guess it sounds alright to me. Personally I think it would be better if you use lower ISO. Less noise.

IMHO, experiment since it's a learning time for you. Shoot some RAW files and some jpeg superfine/fine large.

Shoot a few WB also.

Then start the learning when you back home adjusting your it on your PCs.

I don't recommend you bring all the lens you have. Maybe one zoom and the 50/f1.8 + your flash. IMHO less things to consider less stress more chances of getting good composition.
I sometime give advice by hearsay, and never experiment it myself and proven wrong afterwards...

my way,

wide to medium lens like a 24-70,
and a tripod.

u can control the dof better this way.
can even blur out the other pple.

take note of flare thats all.

jude

Status
Not open for further replies.