any tips for covering an event like a JC food-fun fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Expiredyoghurt

Dec 31, 2004
Yishun
any tips from the pros? .. newb here =P .. in some sense =/ ... only started hobby photography in dec last year =/

will probably be using my brother's E-300 and my panasonic FZ-1 ...

add to the list above

Who are you covering the event for?
What are their objectives?
Any VIPs?
Prople having fun!

Pro-New said:
things to capture:
G-O-H
highlights of the event
special activities
all/most stalls
people enjoying themselves
any other interesting happenings
plus anything unique

ortega said:
add to the list above

Who are you covering the event for?
What are their objectives?
Any VIPs?
Prople having fun!

think there would be a few VIPs (aka GOH)
objectives? .. .cover event for sch publications ... and some-what for practise =P (and get free additional cip hours =P)

any tips for set-up? .. flash needed? ... most of the stuff will be in day-light .. under tentage ... some indoor stuff too ...

Other non-photographic tips.

1) Drink lots of water (weather is really hot lately)

2) travel light if possible, unless u have arnie's muscles. and can lug ur heavy equipment on ur shoulders for the entire day.
1 or 2 lens and a flash, maybe.

3) Dont run out of CF or battery.

4) its a fun fair. so have Fun. :)

If the pics are going to be viewed by the school, make sure to capture the faces of the VIPs mingling with the school's management and staff.

Since this is a fun-fair kind of event, the challenge is to capture the element of fun and the emotions portrayed on the faces of the participants and visitors. Here's your chance to practice your observations skills and to develop that hunch for photographic moments.

Get your picture shoot in raw if possible. Especially important if you need to do a lot of post processing for print or for submission.

But of coz, it takes time to process. Shooting is surely more fun than processing picture at home, haha... However, if your school need quality work, shoot in raw safer. In case any color temperture off, you can save ur pictures easily.

Shooting in raw is fine provided you have the time and the processing power to handle the huge files. Otherwise, not worth the effort.
Using Jpeg is perfectly fine, use PS to fine tune your pics, thats all.

Some experiences to share.

a. Zoom lens around 24/70mm range are needed at funfair. Expect very tight space in 'critical' shots around VIP. Expect huge crowd at key highlights that makes movement impossible. Prime lens using leg zoom iis practically impossible then. Know the location and timing of these highlights.
b. Fast settings/fast cameras can be fun: eg dunking the vip, etc. Quite a few funfare games stalls are speed base.
c. Look out for those painted faces, clowns, mascot, etc. Go early to catch them fresh when there are less people. Catch them in the process of make up makes interesting behind-the-scene shots.
d. Many moments of glee and candids to shoot - just look out for the stalls.
e. I do not have many successes with wide shots except for very few aerial view. Head ot body shots or slightly wider give more hits.
f. Look our for colour, people who dress up, and an eye on VIP wife as well - try to bring out the funfair mood and the fun side of the human spirit
g. Flash needed in tentages esp on/even on bright days.

well well bro, you've got lotsa good advice there for u! my 2 cents is that you keep the camera on, eyes open and not miss a piece of action that would look fabulous on film, or rather... JPEG :p heehee~

just shoot JPEG fine... should be more than enough for publication.

#1 tip i learnt during NDP:

talk BS with the people there, doesn't matter how corny it is, effort must be put to make your visual subjects feel at ease with you rather than feeling, "who's this unknown chap trying to shoot a photo of us?"

Status
Not open for further replies.