Any Tips & Advice for F1 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

clicker2182

May 13, 2008
Hi All,

I'm looking for some tips & advice from F1. I could manage to get a ticket for walk about part... Any advice on which is the best location to get some good pictures? Any other tips & advice??

Thanks in advance..

walk about??? Paddock walk about? Or Media walk about?

For Paddock walk about, basically it's just F1 cars in static. Tricky lighting conditions as the background will be real dark while activities within paddock is dim. a 70-200 will do nicely for mechanics at work and zoom into those titanium manifolds or brake systems.

For F1 cars on the move, even tougher unless you have access to strategic corners.

They are easiest to take at slow corners. Intermediate corners are great for panning shots. Look out for F1 cars mounting onto apex ripple strip! Sometimes can see an airborne wheel.

As it is gonna be a night race, and the so called "daylight lightings" is imho crap. Screw up colour temperature.

And expect to use shutter speed in excess of 1/3000. Long lens will be good. 24~70 range for close range shots.

Bring rain coat + camera rain coat :sweat:

EAR PLUG, I was at the F1 demo at the Padang, VERY VERY noisy for just one F1 car only.

I think he means that he got the general admission tickets lah.

If you have a three-day pass, use Friday the same way that the drivers do - practice! Also should do what some drivers do, which is to take a walk around the circuit. You can scout out an ideal spot or get ideas for shots. (And go as early as possible on Sunday to chope the place by standing there in sun and rain...)

For car shots... definitely stay near the corners. Accidents tend to happen at corners, so you might get lucky. Well, lucky for the photographers, not the drivers.

Bring a fast lens...F2.8 or larger would be good...

walk about??? Paddock walk about? Or Media walk about?

For Paddock walk about, basically it's just F1 cars in static. Tricky lighting conditions as the background will be real dark while activities within paddock is dim. a 70-200 will do nicely for mechanics at work and zoom into those titanium manifolds or brake systems.

For F1 cars on the move, even tougher unless you have access to strategic corners.

They are easiest to take at slow corners. Intermediate corners are great for panning shots. Look out for F1 cars mounting onto apex ripple strip! Sometimes can see an airborne wheel.

As it is gonna be a night race, and the so called "daylight lightings" is imho crap. Screw up colour temperature.

And expect to use shutter speed in excess of 1/3000. Long lens will be good. 24~70 range for close range shots.

Bring rain coat + camera rain coat :sweat:
Seems that you know quite a bit. But shutter speed in excess of 1/3000s ? Dun wanna to do panning ? I tot a reasonable shutter speed could be like 1/1000s. Or, the ISO would be sky-high liao.

there are plenty of pro photogs who shoot f1 for a living. try googling for info on how to shoot instead. most people on the forum talk only.

Hi All,

Thanks for your tips & suggestions. Some of them are really useful....

Status
Not open for further replies.