Any suggestion for a setup for large document shoot?

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
I have a few old documents that are A3 and larger that I would like to digitize. I don't have a flatbed scanner of that size. I am thinking of taking photos of them instead and just use the JPEG. My problem is: how to set it up for the shots? I was thinking of using a ladder and shooting vertically down. But not sure how to hold the camera in place. If I shoot with a tripod, I don't know how to hold the document perfectly perpendicular to the ground. Any suggestion for a simple DIY setup that I can use to shoot?

Thanks!

Use a tripod and tripod head that allows for vertical shooting.

Like this:

IMGP3310_small.jpg

Or this:

IMG_5875.JPG

Thanks for the tip. But how to get the distance right? Won't a zoom creep? Anyway, will try and see... thanks!

Thanks for the tip. But how to get the distance right? Won't a zoom creep? Anyway, will try and see... thanks!

Well, you would need to use a prime, or use a zoom that does not creep, or use the rubber band trick. ;)

Rashkae said:
Well, you would need to use a prime, or use a zoom that does not creep, or use the rubber band trick. ;)

Oh... Intrigued... What's the "rubber band trick"?

Oh... Intrigued... What's the "rubber band trick"?

The rubber band looks like this:
rubberband.jpg
The one used in Army...type..

Just put it around the zoom ring portion and the non movable portion. So it will be diagonal when you put it on. and since zoom creep will also turn the ring, so, if you apply this trick, your rubber band will prevent it from slipping as it's "tied" to the non movable portion near the mount.

if your document need not be lying flat on the floor, you can prop it up against a piece of cardboard or something. That way, your camera need not be looking vertically down.

Then just make sure the lighting is fairly even, and you should be more or less there.

I think setting up your large document flat on the wall is a great idea because it can potentially capture a really large image in a single frame.

just to add a little, you might to use a spirit level hotshoe and some measuring to ensure perpendicularity of the camera with the document.
another advantage of using a tripod is that you can exposed longer to get a properly exposed image when you use cheaper and weaker lighting option maybe like floor lamp that you can point forward. When using a floor lamp with an unknown temperature color, you can do a white balance with grey card or expo disc.