any soul using Vuescan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
why after I installed it, it does not show in my program folder? it also does not show on my desktop.

anyone using Vuescan too?

TIA.

Originally posted by ninelives
why after I installed it, it does not show in my program folder? it also does not show on my desktop.

anyone using Vuescan too?

TIA.

Yup. Once you installed it, it goes to C:\Vuescan. You will have to create your own shortcuts to it in desktop or the start menu.

Very good program. At least on the HP PhotoSmart, it produces sharper scans than the default HP software. Colours are a bit off though, which I think is more of a scanner's fault.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Very good program. At least on the HP PhotoSmart, it produces sharper scans than the default HP software. Colours are a bit off though, which I think is more of a scanner's fault.

Regards
CK

Hi CK,

I've noticed that with VueScan and negs the prints appear all over the place with the Photosmart, however with slides its colour reproduction is almost identical with the Kodak Q-60 reference calibration slide that is the industry standard for scanner calibration. I've seen the same basic results from Nikon LS 1000, LX 2000 scanners as well.

Quote from the VueScan manual:

Note that images produced by VueScan from scanned negatives may vary in intensity and contrast from the prints you get back from a photofinisher. If you look cloesly at the prints, you'll probably see that the detail in the highlights of the image have been lost, and the detail in the dark parts of the images can't be seen. VueScan tries to preserve the detail in the dark and light parts of images, and you can control how much detail in the dark and light parts is preserved with the "Black point" and "White point" options.

It should also be noted that VueScan is not a standalone scanning package like SilverFast, it's really a scanning aid and as such the image files it produces are designed to be post processed by the likes of Photoshop.

;)

me using for my Acer scanwit too...so far result are better that the mirascan come with the scanner. but need a lot of tweak before u got it right. Poor user interface i think might due to the fact that this is a 'one-man' program (i believe), u can see the author basically did not care much about a proper user interface since version 1. So do read up the document before start scanning. Multiple pass and restoring color seems not much effect on my scanner......

by the way this soft get a good regconisation from the film scanner user, i think it deserve it except the author could have improve the interface before he decide to put a price tag on it....

Originally posted by Ian

Hi CK,

I've noticed that with VueScan and negs the prints appear all over the place with the Photosmart, however with slides its colour reproduction is almost identical with the Kodak Q-60 reference calibration slide that is the industry standard for scanner calibration. I've seen the same basic results from Nikon LS 1000, LX 2000 scanners as well.

Quote from the VueScan manual:

Note that images produced by VueScan from scanned negatives may vary in intensity and contrast from the prints you get back from a photofinisher. If you look cloesly at the prints, you'll probably see that the detail in the highlights of the image have been lost, and the detail in the dark parts of the images can't be seen. VueScan tries to preserve the detail in the dark and light parts of images, and you can control how much detail in the dark and light parts is preserved with the "Black point" and "White point" options.

It should also be noted that VueScan is not a standalone scanning package like SilverFast, it's really a scanning aid and as such the image files it produces are designed to be post processed by the likes of Photoshop.

;)

Thanks Ian for the info. Obviously, I can't expect the output to be perfect, photoshop work is needed like you said. I currently have almost everything on auto, maybe I should go try the exposure options (like locking film base colour, exposure, etc).

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.