Any Solution for 72mm filter stucked onto a tokina lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XC Pictorial

Apr 29, 2006
www.lens.sg
As above, got an old lens, been lying around for a long time..
Now the filter seems stucked onto the lens for good..
tried asking the strongest guys ard for help, putting rubber band, heating etc..
Is there any tool that can be used to wedge it open?
Its an old orange ring 28-70 f2.8, still functional but some dust stucked under filter :)

2 super small drops of WD-40.

Use a small syringe to apply at the thread between the filter and the lens. Apply on opposite ends of the filter ring for more even distribution.

Leave for 5 minutes.

Wipe edges very clean.

Apply a few rounds of double-sided tape (with the protective white tape off).

Unscrew.

If that fails, there is a special tool made to unscrew stuck filter rings. Not sure if it's available in SG.

All the best.

2 super small drops of WD-40.

Use a small syringe to apply at the thread between the filter and the lens. Apply on opposite ends of the filter ring for more even distribution.

Leave for 5 minutes.

Wipe edges very clean.

Apply a few rounds of double-sided tape (with the protective white tape off).

Unscrew.

If that fails, there is a special tool made to unscrew stuck filter rings. Not sure if it's available in SG.

All the best.

Sounds like good stuff..
Thanks alot..:)

Get a non-slip mat, put the lens filter side down and TWIST. Worked fine for me

I don't recommmend the use of WD40 for two reasons,
1. WD40 could attack metallic parts and lead to these parts to be more prone to corrosion at a later date.
2. I don't want to spray oil near my optics. It could be difficult to remove it later particularly if the oil react with the coating on the lens.

You many wish to get hold of a filter wrench. That should be the safest way of getting a stuck filter off. Example I'm sure that somebody on CS who has one and will e willing to lend you for 1min to remove the filter.

You many wish to get hold of a filter wrench. That should be the safest way of getting a stuck filter off. Example I'm sure that somebody on CS who has one and will e willing to lend you for 1min to remove the filter.
yeah heard of it too but just seem hard to find someone here who actually has it :(

I don't recommmend the use of WD40 for two reasons,
1. WD40 could attack metallic parts and lead to these parts to be more prone to corrosion at a later date.
2. I don't want to spray oil near my optics. It could be difficult to remove it later particularly if the oil react with the coating on the lens.

As mentioned earlier ... 2 super small DROPS .... SYRINGE :rolleyes: Might be obvious to wipe off after geting the filter off, but that was presumptious of me. My baaaad.

As mentioned earlier ... 2 super small DROPS .... SYRINGE :rolleyes: Might be obvious to wipe off after geting the filter off, but that was presumptious of me. My baaaad.
Sorry, didn't meant that you are wrong. I just recalled getting f***ed by the CSM for using the wonderful WD40 to clean the M16. So...:(

As above, got an old lens, been lying around for a long time..
Now the filter seems stucked onto the lens for good..
tried asking the strongest guys ard for help, putting rubber band, heating etc..
Is there any tool that can be used to wedge it open?
Its an old orange ring 28-70 f2.8, still functional but some dust stucked under filter :)

I had been reading some of the stuff here and I have tried quite a few of them to some success. There were times I even screw the filter in wrongly and there was a mis-thread and it jam in nice and tight. So... I am only bringing this up for only as a last resort or for the fearless :)

There are two methods I don't think have been mentioned here. Now take note! I did this as I was considering more into wanting to save my lens then the filter that was jammed to it. That is my premise of the risk when I did them each time.

Method one:
I use broad masking tape ( those beigh coloured paper) and stick two overlapping strips over the diameter of the filter... making sure the tape sticks to the filter/glass surface. Make sure it extends 1inch or so on both ends of the strips. Then crumple the ends to the side of the filter and then gently with even pressure twist the filter/tape. It should get it out. I can tell you from past times I did it...you would think the tape would damage the coating on my B+W filters but...nah!..not a scratch or were the coating damage after I clean it up with some solvent to dissolve any sticky tape residue clinging to the glass element when I remove it.

Method two:
I had twice jammed tightly a filter to the lens which the screw thread jump two levels and was screws in lopeside..that is the worst type of jam as it can also ruin the threading. I use two pincher pliers ( those pliers with the sharp bird beak shape tips ) I would tape the tips of the pliers with some masking tape to blunt the teeth/tip abit. What I do is place the camera with the len facing up between my thighs in a sitting position. Then with one plier in each hand, I would clamp down on the front thread of the filter directly opposite each other and then together with even slow pressure would turn the filter anti clock wise to unscrew the filter from the lens. Works fine for the last jammed filter I use this method, the first time I did it...I slight dented the thread of the filter ( thus that was why the seconds time I did it I use some taping to soften the tips that will clamp down on the filter's thread) but then again so what if you damage the front thread abit, I am one who never stack my filters when shooting ....so damaging the front thread slightly is no big deal for me. Especially so if you are more concern about your lens then the cheaper filter.

Note again!!...Do this at your own risk. I have done it a quite a times and it has worked for me...might be I am lucky each time or that I am just very nimble with my fingers heheh...

Good luck with whatever method you want to try from the advises given by the folks here.

Not sure if anyone has tried this, works well when you need to remove stuck filters when you are the field. What you do is hold the lens and place the filter onto the bottom of your shoes, usually rubber soled, press firmly (not too tight) while holding to the edge of the lens just before the filter and twist in the desired direction and voila! Works everytime. Give it a try.

Try taking it to John 3:16. They might have a filter wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.