Any software to fix dead/hot pixels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loboclerk

Jul 28, 2002
Singapore
Logically, dead/hot pixels could be blotted out by using the surrounding pixels' values.

Anyone here knows of any good dead/hot pixel remover program that can fix a mass of pics?

you dun need any special software. PS will do just fine.

Here's how to do it. (This only works for pictures taken from your camera WITHOUT digital zoom, optical zoom is ok)
For hot pixels:

Using your camera with the lens cap on.. (yes leave it on), take a photo with long exposure. (2 or 3 secs) The longer your exposure. the brighter the hot pixels.

Save this file (as hotpixel.jpg for reference in here) and open it in photoshop.

Open your picture with hot pixel problem.
Copy the hotpixel.jpg as a new layer onto your picture.
Choose blending mode to be Difference.

Merge the layers. You have just removed those yellow/blue/red hot pixels.
Short coming of this process. The hotpixels just turns into BLACK pixels which are more acceptable to the eyes. :)

I see you are using fuji's 2800.. very prone to hotpixels at long exposures. I know cos I use a fuji 4900 :D

You have just converted hot pixels into dead pixels. :D

to add on.. after you have your hotpixel.jpg.. you can use batch command in PS to process all your problem photos.

else another way is to use healing/clone brush to do it. your choice

Hello!

Thanks for the suggestion - thought of that but kinda wanted to see if there's any software to get the surrounding pixels instead of blacking it out.

Heard of it before.. but just can't recall what software :p

if its a dead pixel prob....y not fix the camera instead...

hotpixels...juz batch process lo

cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.