Any Singapore Sony F717 users affected by focuss problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
From Sony Canada....

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02103002sonycaf717.asp

Sony Canada has posted a short note that some 'initial production' DSC-F717's will produce images which are out of focus when used with the Hologram AF (Laser light illumination). "Sony's Digital Still Camera, DSC-F717, that are produced during the initial production period have the symptom of being out of focus. It occurs because Hologram AF does not function properly when it is used under dark illumination, and recorded pictures become out of focus.". A list of serial numbers can be found within. No word yet from Sony US.

Yup, we definitely should not go for 1st batch models...

just turn off the hologram and you are fine. the camera can focus exceptionally well without the hologram but turn it on and sometimes it spoils things
but i do have some oof shots which i didnt expect them to be

when F707 was launch...i was the scrap goat for their BFS...etc problem

now F717 also have problem....guess they are rushing for production...that's why have all these problem...

As with any product, it's all about testing isn't it. But this doesn't sound like a major problem, but rather some extra tweaking. Here's a post I copied and pasted from www.dpreview.com :

So heres the scoop. The HAFS was initiated by Sony Japan. Sony Canada got the procedures yesterday and they posted the announcement right away. Sony USA got the same but dont know why they took so long. Anyways, the Hologram auto focus syndrome happens only under certain conditions. Its a very small window of error or what Sony called it as around 'luminance 50'. When surrounding ambient light reaches this threshold the HAF fails in its proper readings back to the camera.

The service involves a miniplug cord that is inserted into the "ACC" port and Sonys service computer reads the info on the camera. I was able to see how this computer maps out all the info for the HAF system. What happens next is there are 2 power meters within the HAF system and 1 of them gets tweeked. Once thats done then voila...! all fixed. 10mins max!

Source :
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=3679214

cheers,

senhwei

Originally posted by parn23
oh sh*t.... need to make a trip Commonwealth Drive liao...:(

maybe should wait a month or 2 and see any other unforseen problems crop up then can fix together haha
but i hope no other problems though!!

I called up Sony service center today, and the lady who answered the phone asked "What problem with your camera? I do not know anything wrong. Maybe you called the technical dept and asked the technicians...." Since I did not like to be bounced around like a ping-pong, I insisted that I read the website and it asked me to call "THIS NUMBER", insisted to get answer from her. Finally she asked me to wait, I guessed she must have gone to ask the service technicians. A minute later, she came back and said ok you can bring along the camera for a fix. :D

But she reminded me, this time more friendly, that I should aviod the lunchtime (11:45am-1:30pm) and any Monday morning (rush hours becuase the weekend off)

Well, I am thinking to go Tuesday 9am. Anyone joining?

Originally posted by Astin
I called up Sony service center today, and the lady who answered the phone asked "What problem with your camera? I do not know anything wrong. Maybe you called the technical dept and asked the technicians...." Since I did not like to be bounced around like a ping-pong, I insisted that I read the website and it asked me to call "THIS NUMBER", insisted to get answer from her. Finally she asked me to wait, I guessed she must have gone to ask the service technicians. A minute later, she came back and said ok you can bring along the camera for a fix. :D

But she reminded me, this time more friendly, that I should aviod the lunchtime (11:45am-1:30pm) and any Monday morning (rush hours becuase the weekend off)

Well, I am thinking to go Tuesday 9am. Anyone joining?

I've also called them this morning and describe abt the HAF problem. she reply me " So, u want to upgrade your ram or your HDD" ?

:what: :what: :rbounce:

So, after an explanation what's a F717 to her, she then transfer me to somone who knows abt the issue..

FYI, the whole 'upgrading' process takes abt 5mins, including the waiting time and paperwork.

hi - I'm going to be buying a F717 in Singapore in the next couple weeks and I want to get it fixed before bringing it back to Sydney. Where is the Sony service centre ? Is it easily accessble by MRT ?

thanks,

senhwei

Originally posted by senhwei
hi - I'm going to be buying a F717 in Singapore in the next couple weeks and I want to get it fixed before bringing it back to Sydney. Where is the Sony service centre ? Is it easily accessble by MRT ?

thanks,

senhwei

It's just opposite of Commonwealth MRT station.
The address is:

401 Commonwealth Drive, #01-03
Haw Par Technocentre

Senhwei, just to alert you, many places have sold out the F717 already, only Harvey Norman have stocks available. You may want to call up CP/AP/John before making your trip here. Also check this below, someone is complaining about AP very badly on this site. :confused:
(not sure true or not about this complain, because I never bought anything from AP, I only buy from CP)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?threadid=328536

Astin - thanks for the heads-up ! I was actually worried that the F717 might be out of stock. Bummer !!

I don't suppose Harvey Norman pricing is competitive ? I'll get an e-quote from CP next week, hopefully they will have fresh stock.

Alternatively, I may buy from Changi Airport as a last resort if all the city stores are out of stock.

Thanks again for the info !

senhwei

As a follow up, the reason why I'm so keen to buy the camera in Singapore is that Australia's prices are absolutely ridiculous ! The F717 is retailing in Sydney for around A$2500. That's a full $1000 more than Singapore !

I think there is a range of serial numbers for you to check whether your cam is affected or not. Not all are affected. :)

actually the serial numbers very well covers all units produced before 28 oct if you understand the problem well you'll know why

Status
Not open for further replies.