Any retail shops accepts credit card payment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kazumi

Sep 10, 2009
Initially wanted to buy from Alan photo in sim lim square, but then sls shops always charges extra once they know u r paying via credit card...

So can anyone recommend any good camera shops which accepts credit card payment without asking u to pay extra?

Thanks.

Charging the 2% more for credit cards is actually against credit card company policies and in reality a farce. But they are seller and for the buyer, is usually take it or leave it lor.

If u really want to pay by credit card, then u have 2 choices - pay the additional 2%, which may amount to only a few dollars for a few hundred dollar item, or when u negotiate the price, just say upfront that u wannt pay by credit card and price is based on that. Ask around the shops and that is your best strategy. From my experience, harvey norman funan will usually take visa / mastercard. So if they give good price, I prefer to buy from them. Only problem is they usually no stock and sometimes service is +/- depending on who u get.

Initially wanted to buy from Alan photo in sim lim square, but then sls shops always charges extra once they know u r paying via credit card...

So can anyone recommend any good camera shops which accepts credit card payment without asking u to pay extra?

Thanks.

big shopping retail like courts, hn will not charge interest but you pay the actual price for it.

if you buy from the recommanded shop as mention in clubsnap forum, normally is 2% for CC, then 4-5% for instalment

7D body
Oct09 - AP-F $2480
Oct09 - PA $2375 (w/ GST)
Oct09 - HN Raffles City $2450 cash (w/ GST)
Oct09 - HN Funan $2699 credit card
Oct09 - TK $2400 (w/ GST)
Oct09 - PA-HV $2400 (w/ GST)

Last edited:
normally, the bank charges them that percentage and if the retailers do go down on their pricing, it is quite a normal practice. taxis too imposed admin fee charges for credit cards. i think if the retailers do give a very good price, then it may only be fair to compansate them that 2% or so as they do not earn that percentage and it has to go to the bank. as a matter of fact, for new retailers, visa and mastercard have already gone up with he rates to as high as 3% for some.

Last edited:
U can arrange with the bank using your cashline/credit line account and break it into instalment payments.

or you can charge the credit card and call up the bank to breakup the the total amount into instalment monthly plan for 12 / 24 mths.

I feel instalment plans are good for lens but not body. Unless u dont plan to buy and sell your body in next 2 years then instalments for body is good.

But if you go for instalments for 2 years or more (using diners card) do remember to extend your warranty for ur lens or body via canon or harvey norman.

Thanks.

U can arrange with the bank using your cashline/credit line account and break it into instalment payments.

or you can charge the credit card and call up the bank to breakup the the total amount into instalment monthly plan for 12 / 24 mths.

I feel instalment plans are good for lens but not body. Unless u dont plan to buy and sell your body in next 2 years then instalments for body is good.

But if you go for instalments for 2 years or more (using diners card) do remember to extend your warranty for ur lens or body via canon or harvey norman.

The reason why large stores don't charge the 2% surcharge is because they are selling you at full retail price, which gives them a larger margin, allowing them to absorb the charge (and installment charges as well, it's interest free to you, but not free to the merchant), since they are earning more money anyway.

So, you go to places like Alan photo, you expect cheap price, they give you cheap price, but using credit card is an additional expense to them which eats into their profits and since they are already giving you a (much) cheaper price, they can't afford to absorb it.

I bought 2 cameras from Alan Photo, and they're ok.

If you already have the cash, just use the cash. The points in this case is not worth it :bsmilie:

For most of my purchases at Cathay Photo (PS & Marina), cash definitely gets you more discount (of course you goto ask them, bargain a bit), but even when i pay by credit card, the difference isn't too far off and some items it is the same price be it you pay cash or card. And at least for CP, when you want to go installments, there is no extra surcharge/admin charge etc. its the price they quote for you.

Thanks.

how can u say they are charging "extra" when u opt to pay via credit card.. what u should be saying is they offer u DISCOUNT for cash payment but no discount for credit card....

shops like Alan Photo n the likes (Cathay, Orient, TKP, etc) can offer u lower price if u pay by cash because of the savings in the credit card service charges, so really shouldn't be complaining lah bro.

Thx for the replies. May I know wat shop is pa mentioned by mike?

I heard of the other shops but never heard of pa before...

Thanks.

Thx for the replies. May I know wat shop is pa mentioned by mike?

I heard of the other shops but never heard of pa before...

Thanks.

List of Singapore Dealers (not exhaustive - only the most common ones on this price guide are here)

CP-1: Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-2: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-3: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
MS: MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
MS: MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
TK: T.K. Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers | 6292-8167 | sales@tkfoto.com.sg
LC: Lord Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza | 6235-4605 | lordscom@singnet.com.sg
JO: John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
TCW: The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street #01-31 | 6336-1956 6336-7808 | tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
AP-F: Alan Photo, #05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6883-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-S: Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square | 6336-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
PA-N: Parisilk (North), 7 Transit Road | 6452-1593
PA-HV: Parisilk (Central), 15A Lorong Liput | 6466-6002
PA-E: Parisilk (East), Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central | 6441-6066
OP: Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
BC: BargainCity.com.sg
HN: Harvey Norman (various)
AH: Audio House

Status
Not open for further replies.