Any report of SDS problem with C2100 in Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gamo

Dear fellows,

I am about to buy a C2100UZ but upon reading on the Dpreview forum, it appears that many users experience some form of power board problem as refered to as SDS (Suden Death Syndrome). I wonder why there is no talk of such thing in here. Does this mean that C2100 sell in Asia are not subject to this problem?

Thanks
Gamo

upon reading on the Dpreview forum

I know that its not my business ,as the question has as target the Asian part ..

But the SDS is by 90%, the excuse of all the careless people , in order to blame the camera and the company , but not their self ,who actually is the most responsible about the good use , and the protection of their camera's ..

From the 100% of the people who reports SDS , non of them have the knowledge to say what happen ,and what was the reason of the damage .

So the Sudden Death Syndrome ,it can be used as name ,for every camera that is stop working ..

If you do not have faith in the Olympus company and the support that is offers in your region , do not get the camera ..

In my country and Europe , the Olympus is one of the few company's , with the best service and support ..
( I would like to say the same words about their prices too , but i can not ) hehehe

Dear Sync...

Thank you for the reply. I would love to have a UZI but in Thailand where I live, Olympus camera is distributed by local company and for what I know they may not be good at fixing thing esp. with older camera like UZI which they might have no stock for parts. That is why I would like to know what chance I might get a bad UZI.

Thanks

Gamo

experienced it twice... once after a trip to wintery Oz, got a new camera back...
second time recently... changed the board $250
reasons vary... from replacing batteries then die to a cold death..

That is why I would like to know what chance I might get a bad UZI

Well i would not play the God or the magician ,about your question ..
But you did use as source of your information the Dpreview forum ,and because i live there too ,for the last year , i will say that we are 240 UZI owners , and i have read only 12 story's about cameras that stopped to operate , and from those , only in 4 of them ,was really responsible the power board .

The Olympus did take good care of all of them .
And in the US , they shell right now extended warranty for another 2 years , so service and parts until the 2004 is a fact ..
Plus .. The fact that the Olympus 100RS is sharing parts with the C2100 , minimizes your fears about the spear parts.

Plus that you can register your product in the US ,and get another 3 months extra warranty for the Olympus America , as i did ..

The internet this days ,makes the planet too look as one really small place .. :bsmilie:

Thanks for the info. I will check it out with the local distributor on Monday.

Thanks again.

Gamo.

Originally posted by denizenx
just had my 4th SDS.. my lens wun move... ;(

This is not called SDS , but damage ...
Any way ,see it from the bright side , you will get free cleaning and new firmware update .. ;)

it's SDS if it happens not as a consequence of my actions... :D

Mine died after the battery went dead while connected to the USB for download. Is that considered SDS?

Anyway, Olympus repaired FOC although my warranty card was supposed to the the wrong type.

Well this is the only known bug of this camera , and i will advice you to get one USB reader like the most C2100 owners ..

The point is that if we know the weak points , at list we can make some actions about it ..

I believe that this issue is a bug of the firmware 73, the cameras with firmware 77 , they have immunity in this bug , plus better balance in the red color , and best behavior in the power saving mode , and low battery mode .

Yah, went to get an xdrive once that happened.
Anyway to tell the firmware of the camera? Mine seems to function better after coming back from repairs.

On a side track, I also recently bought an E10 but I find the image playback etc is slower then the 2100 by quite a bit. Could it be due to firmware as well and does Olympus do upgrades?

Thanks.

Yes ,Olympus it does upgrades , but its not worth it, to pay the cash just for that , most of the times , in any serious repair , Olympus install the latest firmware by them selfs , and as long you are in warranty it comes to you for free .
Or else you have to pay some cash , even if you are on warranty .

The firmware info is part of the Exif . (Exif = digital id - included in all the images of your camera )
Just open one image with any image browser or editor ,and click in the image details tab .

It will look like as v352p-77 ( 77 is the current version )

Originally posted by wantunn
On a side track, I also recently bought an E10 but I find the image playback etc is slower then the 2100 by quite a bit. Could it be due to firmware as well and does Olympus do upgrades?

Thanks.

Probably because the images are much larger. Also E10's memory card I/O seems to be slower than other cameras in it's class.

I will agree partially with mpenza , but basically any comparison should be made at the same resolution ... and with the same smart media card , the 128 megs is by a litle, faster than the others . ( 64 - 32 )

Actually the difference can be quite distinct. e.g if you zoom in during viewing, when you move the image (up, down, left, right) on the 2100 it's instantaneous but on the E10, it needs to load then move...

Anyway its just nitpicking and still happy with both cams :cool:

Originally posted by syncmaster
Yes ,Olympus it does upgrades , but its not worth it, to pay the cash just for that , most of the times , in any serious repair , Olympus install the latest firmware by them selfs , and as long you are in warranty it comes to you for free .
Or else you have to pay some cash , even if you are on warranty . QUOTE]

Hi,

can I know if its standard policy for olympus to install the newest firmware? I specifically sent my C2100 camera in for a firmware update but nothing was done, and the technician said, I quote, "the factory doesn't allow firmware updates".

Status
Not open for further replies.