Any recommendations on whether I should get a M 4/3 or Compact with budget of $600?

mxio4173

Feb 26, 2014
SG
Hi,

any recommendations for either M4/3 or Compact with a budget of $600?

Most likely will be shooting in auto mode.

Thanks!

Auto mode probably go for MFT Oly pus EPL5 or EPL6 series. Small compact but packing relatively new sensors, with future proofing in case u wana try to handle more shooting options one day. I don't recommend the Pana GF series. The Pana GX1, GM1 is also what u can consider.

Approx $600 should be doable for them.

Compacts wise there's almost endless choices since u never gave your needs other than auto. U can even get a compact for lesser than $100. :)

Probably you can ask yourself this few questions and you can decide whether u want m4/3 or compact.
1) Do you find it a hassle to change camera lens all the time?
2) Are a paranoid kind of person about dust spots in the camera?
3) Do you like your camera to be easily slipped into your pocket?
4) Can you live with "acceptable" image quality?

Probably you can ask yourself this few questions and you can decide whether u want m4/3 or compact.

Hi,

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend the Sony RX100ii (second hand). That is a very very good camera, fast AF, good ISO performance, small and light and there are some manual control if you wanted to play with it in the future.

Hi,

Thanks!

If u shoot auto... Just use ur phone?

I'm not kidding. U will not be making much use of the cameras suggested above if u plainly use them in auto mode, no matter how auto-friendly they are. U will only get marginally better images than phone cameras nowadays. In fact, if u know ur stuff well, u can even get more superior images with a phone than with even a rx100.

Or perhaps, u might want to tell us what the camera will be used for. For holiday snapshots? Do u print the images or just share on fb/mobile? Need zoom? Etc etc

thanks for the suggestions!

primarily for holiday reasons. I have also considered the size of the camera hence I have narrowed it down to Enthusiast Compact Camera or MILC.

I am unable to bring my phone overseas for personal reason, hence I would have to rule out Camera phones and I would definitely need a camera.

As for the shots that I will be taking, mostly is people (with landscape background). There may be occasions where I will also just take breathtaking landscape of scenery.

I would also like to say that I won't be using the camera to take close-up shots of flowers etc.

Last edited:
thanks for the suggestions!

primarily for holiday reasons. I have also considered the size of the camera hence I have narrowed it down to Enthusiast Compact Camera or MILC.

I am unable to bring my phone overseas for personal reason, hence I would have to rule out Camera phones and I would definitely need a camera.

As for the shots that I will be taking, mostly is people (with landscape background). There may be occasions where I will also just take breathtaking landscape of scenery.

I would also like to say that I won't be using the camera to take close-up shots of flowers etc.

Ok. Let me narrowed it down for you even more (according to my opinion only).

1) Sony RX100ii (one of my favourite compact camera)- if got budget, definitely this one.
2) Panasonic LX7
3) Olympus XZ2
4) Canon G16
5) Canon S120
6) Olympus EPM2 (small MILC, excellent image quality, couple with kit lenses, very small overall)

There... hope it help ;)

An Olympus E-PL2 with kit lens or similar camera set 2nd hand should meet your requirements at half to two-thirds of your budget. With option to add lenses at a later date.

Olympus e-pm2 with kit lens. import from US websites only USD 200+. Very good sensor.

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice. I ended up buying Panasonic DMC-GF6 instead.

Congrats on your purchase. GF6 is also one of my favourite value for money camera. Very small, chic, advanced with wireless, user friendly interface and can take selfie.

I find option 4 very hard to answer because it all depends on a person's choice.

I do realize one thing is that usually for beginners and causal photo takers if they want good pictures they usually use the present ordinary camera non dslr that they own and try to take all sorts of shots to try to improve with software etc when they actually need a better camera and they just realize it one day.

Hi guys,

thanks for the advice. I ended up buying Panasonic DMC-GF6 instead.

GF6 is a great camera, nice sensor, good processor, etc. The only thing is, there is no hotshoe for external flash and unless you DIY, there is no other product to get you a deeper grip. But if that is okay, it is a fabulous camera. Good choice.

I find option 4 very hard to answer because it all depends on a person's choice.

I do realize one thing is that usually for beginners and causal photo takers if they want good pictures they usually use the present ordinary camera non dslr that they own and try to take all sorts of shots to try to improve with software etc when they actually need a better camera and they just realize it one day.

A DSLR gives you better control, but not necessary better pictures. A phone camera might not give you much controls, but in the right hand and condition, it is able to give you great photos.

1) No they don't, might be the case for you but you don't represent beginners and casual photo takers.
2) Not alot of people, beginner or more advance shooters uses software, etc to try to improve. (advance shooter would improve or enhance their shots with software, but if you can get the thing right the first time round, you don't need to keep fiddling with your picture using software).
3) Good camera doesn't need to be DSLR. You speak as if DSLR is the answer to everything. And there is no ordinary camera non DSLR.

1) No they don't, might be the case for you but you don't represent beginners and casual photo takers.
2) Not alot of people, beginner or more advance shooters uses software, etc to try to improve. (advance shooter would improve or enhance their shots with software, but if you can get the thing right the first time round, you don't need to keep fiddling with your picture using software).
3) Good camera doesn't need to be DSLR. You speak as if DSLR is the answer to everything. And there is no ordinary camera non DSLR.

lucky I'm not using DSLR..so if my pic sux..I can blame the camera . :bsmilie:

Soulblade88 what camera u using?

lucky I'm not using DSLR..so if my pic sux..I can blame the camera . :bsmilie:

Soulblade88 what camera u using?

Lol. Yeah... but I am using DSLR, mobile phone, mirrorless interchangeable lens camera... and my pic still sux big time. Hmmmm... I think I can blame myself...

Oh... oh... I am not using top of the line FF DSLR like the D4s/1DX/A99... no wonder my pic sux.

Hi,

Thanks!

If u can still find Oly XZ-1 camera, get it. It serves your usage v well and its very dirt cheap now.

It's not a 4/3 cam but has v good performance