any recommendations for tripods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman2000

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
Hi guys. Am in the market for a reliable tripod. budget is 120-150 bucks. Will be mounting 50d+grip+possibly telephoto primes on it in the future. any ideas?

fancier/ benro.

at the price range...u cant get manfrotoo/gitzo/silk

thx. have seen the fancier and its reviews arent too favourable.. would i be able to find anything decent at sls?

dun think u can find them at sls..

u can find benro tripods at penisula plaza...check out price at mass order b4 u go. price range from 120-150.
i got mine the smallest benro for 120. quite happy with it. i use it on d90 + lens + flash. small egh to be carry ard. without being too tired.

slik 330 seems to be quite worth the money.. will look into it tmr thanks..

Orient Photo as SLS (6th floor) has a range of tripods. Haven't checked in detail as I have my gear. But you can safely try there, no sales guy will harass you.

I just got myself a vanguard, at $239. It's the latest model and the main tube can be tilted sideways or inverted for macro shots. IMO the sideways and inverted functions alone is worth the price of the tripod. Now I have to test it on it's reliability. I will check on the model when I get back home from work.

Last edited:
Hi guys. Am in the market for a reliable tripod. budget is 120-150 bucks. Will be mounting 50d+grip+possibly telephoto primes on it in the future. any ideas?
How often do you see yourself using the tripod? What kind of telephoto primes? 200mm? 300mm? 400mm? Don't forget to budget for a good ballhead as well.

If you don't mind the weight, the aluminium Manfrotto 190 series is quite solidly built. Ballhead, if your budget < $100, you can look at the Manfrotto 486/488 series.

Oh, by the way, "reliable" and "cheap" don't usually come together.

I am very pleased with my Giottos MT series.

my advice is to save up and buy a good tripod as it can last for years
no point buying cheap now only to upgrade and spend more money later

Last edited:
Slik 330DX advertised at $145 at CP with some freebies like camera bag, cleaning kit and tripod bag. Worth a look.

thx. have seen the fancier and its reviews arent too favourable.. would i be able to find anything decent at sls?

Hi bro, thanks for this thread - I'm looking for an affordable and reliable tripod too. Was looking at the Fancier FT6662A. What reviews did you read? I've searched the forum and net and there are not many reviews and have not come across anything damning yet.

well, some have said that it seems to be flimsy, even with a 450d and kit lens mounted. so although it has a load rating of 5kg, i dont think i would trust it with a 70-200 even.. i have decided to buy the benro a350 tripod with ballhead @158, thanks for all the help guys.

have seen the slik. i think if i were to get slik i would get the 500dx. nvm, will test both tomorro!

have seen the slik. i think if i were to get slik i would get the 500dx. nvm, will test both tomorro!

Have you tested the Slik 330DX? After doing some research, this seems like a good option, except that it retracts to a fairly long 60cm still.

Do share your findings and final purchase! :thumbsup:

Slik 330DX advertised at $145 at CP with some freebies like camera bag, cleaning kit and tripod bag. Worth a look.

Any CP regular can advise whether it's possible to "trade-in" these freebies for other stuff? I suppose a straight discount would be out of the question... :dunno:

not looking at slik 330dx since its max load is only 3kilos.. mounting a 70-200(in the future) on it would not be very fun... 340dx has roughly same specs so i shot straight to 500dx. that one's 2.4kg, max load 5kilos and 67(or 77, forgot)cm when retracted. seems rather solid for the price(~175)

sure, will conclude my tripod hunting with a possible review!

TS, U may want to consider this Vanguard tripod? it won TIPA 2009 best accessory. reasonable price at ard $230 with ballhead if I am not wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.