Any Recommendations for digital camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fusion

Apr 3, 2004
Hi,thinking of buying a 3+ megapixels digital camera for overseas trip.Don't want it to be so expensive cause going to ns soon,hopefully below $700(including 128mb or 256mb memory card).Deciding on a75,a80,ixus IIs,nikon 3200 and Olympus C-350 Zoom.If anybody got other better models,can also recommend too!

Other than price, you should also consider what functions you want out of the camera. Whether you want it to have full manual control over shutter/aperture settings or just a simple automated point and shoot.

With $700, you could even get a 5MP Sony P10 from shops in Sim Lim Square, or even lower at about $600 if you search on yahoo auctions.

The A80 seems to be the best of the lot of cameras you've listed since it's the only one with full manual controls and a "flip out and twist" LCD.

Guess i'll just like to have simple automated point and shoot camera as this will be my first digital camera.Will plan to get a new one after i come out from my ns,so thinking issit necessary to get a80 now? :think:
Guess p10 is really out of my budget now...cost about $770+ from bargaincity.Looking for something below $700.
Any more digital camera to recommend?Thanks anyway. ;)

Actually, when i went to Sim lim Sq about 2 months ago, the P10 was only going for 680 at a couple of shops, 5% GST included. I would expect prices to have fallen further by now.

For simple point and shoot, the Ixus IIs goes for about $520 at SLS, notbad. I would recommend the Nikon coolpix 3700 as well.Pretty good performance for such a small camera, real easy to use as well. My friend bought the Coolpix 3700 with a 256 sandisk SD card bundled for $630. A pretty good deal at that time.

Won't recommend the olympus C350 you mentioned. Pretty dated model with only average performance. Maybe cheaper den the rest but you're paying for dated technology.

sorry a newbie question. :embrass:
Is the a75,a80 and nikon3200 a simple automated point and shoot camera?Heard ixus can only use canon printer to print.
Btw,how about other brands of cameras?Any more to recommend?

a75 a80 are simple P&S with some levels of manual controls, nikon 3200 is really simple point and shoot.

ixus ii is PictBridge compatible, so will work with all PictBridge compatible printers. You're going to use a photo printer to print your images? Actually if you use printers that go through a PC, any printer will print your pictures.

Other brands ah... haha...i would actually recommend a Prosumer camera with all the manual controls. Why so? Cuz if you really get into taking pictures, you will soon find yourseld limited by the P&S camera's simple abilities. If you get a prosumer, you can learn to use it slowly, and they also have simple point and shoot modes that makes them a piece of cake for newbies too. Prosumers simply have better image quality compared to P&S usually because of the better lenses and image sensors.

Maybe prosumers are out of your budget, but you can probably get good deals on them on yahoo auctions or the CS buy/sell if you don't mind 2nd hand. I recommend the sony F717(that i use now) as a good prosumer. Can be bought for 700-800. For something smaller, the Sony V1 is good too. Cheapest i saw on yahoo was 900.

For P&S cameras, think canon, nikon and sony are the ones to go for.

ricleo said:
For simple point and shoot, the Ixus IIs goes for about $520 at SLS, notbad. I would recommend the Nikon coolpix 3700 as well.Pretty good performance for such a small camera, real easy to use as well. My friend bought the Coolpix 3700 with a 256 sandisk SD card bundled for $630. A pretty good deal at that time.

QUOTE]

a really cheap price for it,

dun go for A80 if u dun intend to use much of it feature, it not cheap anyway.. $580. why not get urself a nikon 3700, casio QVR41 or even a Fuji F420. i think they are cheaper. and work for u.

personally, i feel canon is expensive and i think u may be paying more for the marketing. nikon 3700 looks and feel solid, easy to use... for point & shoot

yup true, I feel the nikon seems to offer more value for money. Nice design and metal body.

I have a Olympus C-350 Zoom. Cheap. Great image quality. A point and shoot camera with little controls. But it can really drain ur battries. And its quite a hassle shutting and opening the cover.

fuji finepix f420 is good. 3.1mp, its armed with a 3x optical zoom. on the 2nd floor of SLS, u can find a good deal on it ats 500 bucks. its compact and has good a very good design as well. package comes with a 16mb XD card though. but then again, u can get a 128mb XD @ 90 bucks. thats a total of $590 which i think fits nicely into ur budget. trust me, i'm a f420 user myself. excellent features too! :D

hmm...mind telling me what's the difference between nikon 3200 and nikon 3700(other than the design)?The nikon 3200 seems to have larger lcd(16"),while nikon 3700(15").Megapixels are the same.Dun really use it for video filming.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/nikon3700.html#specs
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/nikon3200.html#specs

Check out these 2 reviews for a clearer picture of the differences. There isn't much actually other den some minute small technical differences and the design aspect.

3700 has better video
3200 uses AA batteries compared to 3700 which uses a proprietary Nikon EN-EL5 3.7v 1100mAh rechargeable Li-ion

The 3700 has stepless digital zoom which is better den 3200...

lenses are almost the same. Check out the review sample pics to see which one produces better images to your liking.

I will prefer to recommend you the IXUS 400 camera.
Y?
Firstly u stated that you merely want a P&S camera and that U do not want to overspend on your 1st cam since you may be upgrading after NS.

Secondly, ixus400 offers you the excellent (I really mean excellent) quality you needed in the photo. Picture quality comparable to G3. (Great night shooting too)
Although it may have lesser/direct manual control than its siblings like A75/A80/S50/G3, you will definately appreciate it when u can bring it out so conveniently due to its ultra-compact size. This is really a plus plus point compared to its larger competitors. But eventually it all lies in your own user preference. Tendency is that the smaller the camera, the more willing and more often you are likely to bring it out and use.

Thirdly, ixus400 still can accommodate for photography learning in case you are interested to explore more. You can still set its exposure, shutter speed and ISO using its manual mode and you may be surprised wat wonder this little camera can do.

Lastly, yes you're correct if you guessed that i'm a ixus 400 user. A proud and happy one. Just as the experienced Canon users here say...(u may exclude me) You will never regret with this gem!
:lovegrin:

Happy shopping!

Yup yup, ixus 400 takes very nice pictures :) Nice colours and saturation, relatively noise free in most situations as well. Even though abit over your budget, worth considering spending slightly more for it :)

ricleo said:
Yup yup, ixus 400 takes very nice pictures :) Nice colours and saturation, relatively noise free in most situations as well. Even though abit over your budget, worth considering spending slightly more for it :)

Rather, try the Ixus 430, which is cheaper than the Ixus 400 right now.

Yeowww said:
personally, i feel canon is expensive and i think u may be paying more for the marketing. nikon 3700 looks and feel solid, easy to use... for point & shoot

Canon happen to have better after-sale services, as compared to their competitors. So it's afterall value-for-money lor! :D

hmm...looks like nikon 3700 is out because of the lithium batteries.Ixus might be over my budget.

fusion said:
hmm...looks like nikon 3700 is out because of the lithium batteries.Ixus might be over my budget.
Ixus 400 cost below $700 ($680 i think) from MS Color now... Ixus 430 $20 cheaper I think.

Btw, Lithium batt may not be as bad as you thought. U merely need to spend at bout $25 for an extra 3rd party battery. (still cheaper than buying the rechargable baateries and charger, yet more convenient to bring around due to its batt punny size).

;) Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.