Any recommendations for a cheap digital P&S?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNAG

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
Hi there! Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but then...

I'm looking for a cheap digital P&S camera to dump in the car just for the sole purpose of signage documentation.

Budget around $200-$300 region, can be even a 3/4 MP camera. Preferably using CF cards. Any recommendations for this?

Some options (although all of them are using SD cards):

Canon Powershot A520/510
Nikon Coolpix 4600

I don't think A510 is going selling at $300 for 1st hand. :nono:

SNAG said:
Hi there! Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but then...

I'm looking for a cheap digital P&S camera to dump in the car just for the sole purpose of signage documentation.

Budget around $200-$300 region, can be even a 3/4 MP camera. Preferably using CF cards. Any recommendations for this?

Some options (although all of them are using SD cards):

Canon Powershot A520/510
Nikon Coolpix 4600

I would take a look at some of the Canon Powershot G1/G2 camera's. Good cameras, cf cards, movie capability, sturdy construction. I've seen a few come up in the buy/sell forum in your price range. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the suggestions...

I just stumbled unto the Canon A75/85 series. Wonder how much they are selling it right now. If's it's a little over $350, still can consider.

PS: Anyone knows how much A510 is selling?

Keep those suggestions coming...

A spare camera?

You can go for Kodak CX7300 which is selling for $179 at Mustafa. You don't need optical zoom, IMO. Olympus C-370 which has optical zoom is retailing for $249 at the same venue. Both don't uses CF cards though.

I'm selling my old Canon A200 for $69. Uses AA batt and CF card. You may want to consider too. :)

SNAG said:
Thanks for the suggestions...

I just stumbled unto the Canon A75/85 series. Wonder how much they are selling it right now. If's it's a little over $350, still can consider.

PS: Anyone knows how much A510 is selling?

Keep those suggestions coming...

A520 retail price is $549 and A510 retail price is $449. :bsmilie:
I think shops at Sim Lim Square and Peninsula should offer you a much better price. :thumbsup:
You looking for 1st or 2nd hand cameras? :think:

Venom81 said:
A520 retail price is $549 and A510 retail price is $449. :bsmilie:
I think shops at Sim Lim Square and Peninsula should offer you a much better price. :thumbsup:
You looking for 1st or 2nd hand cameras? :think:

Thanks bean, Venom81 for the suggestions! Will give it much thought. Actually, I'm looking more towards first hand cameras, but if the price's too hard to resist for a good deal, I don't mind.

bean, thanks for the offer. I'll give it some thought. :)

SNAG said:
Thanks bean, Venom81 for the suggestions! Will give it much thought. Actually, I'm looking more towards first hand cameras, but if the price's too hard to resist for a good deal, I don't mind.

bean, thanks for the offer. I'll give it some thought. :)

No problems. :bsmilie: Just look around Sim Lim Square and Peninsula and I'm sure you will a price that would suits you. :bsmilie:

If price is the major option for you and you don't mind size, then maybe get the older Canon A75 or A85 models, if they're still selling. Was looking at DCRP online and they say image quality was better on the older models; less redeye on the older models too. Plus, they will be more within your budget. A400 is not a bad camera, some of my friends use it, but only 2.2X optical zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.