any recommendation upgrading to Full Frame Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You never watch history channel?

Didnt watch that one.
I find that all predictions about when the world will end have one thing in common:
they are predicted by humans

Do humans know everything?
Do people know at the start of 2008, when the economy was so good, that there will be a economic crisis towards the end of that year?

Truth is, nobody noes when the world will end
No human predictions will ever determine that :dunno:

Cons -

1) DSLR FF is expensive for a hobby (but again 'expensive/cheap' is relative term.)
2) Need to upgrade to a better computer to process the bigger sizes image.

I'm still using my made in japan black 300D since 2005.
For FF - I have a SLR EOS 5.

Didnt watch that one.
I find that all predictions about when the world will end have one thing in common:
they are predicted by humans

Do humans know everything?
Do people know at the start of 2008, when the economy was so good, that there will be a economic crisis towards the end of that year?

Truth is, nobody noes when the world will end
No human predictions will ever determine that :dunno:

I think its foolish to think that the world will never end? Hence why not 2012 , sounds like a plan to me. i still think its's a good reason to upgrade to FF.

Well if can comfortably afford it and you really need the FF for the wide angles or shallow DOF/ better noise performance why not? If you still have doubts then dont buy ;)

i'm currently using a canon 400d for 1 1/2 years and ithink it's time for me to upgrade to a full frame camera, any recommendations pro's and con's
why do you need a full frame? you should ask yourself this question...
pro/con and specs of full frame are external factors. :)

I think its foolish to think that the world will never end? Hence why not 2012 , sounds like a plan to me. i still think its's a good reason to upgrade to FF.

I didnt say it wont end :dunno:
it will end, just that nobody know when ;p

because of recession, we need to save up for rainy days
Oh no. Spend more please! That will help the economy. Not just Singapore's but global too. :sweatsm:

Anyway, pay by installment so that you get to spread the payment pain. :lovegrin:

:Later,

Oh no. Spend more please! That will help the economy. Not just Singapore's but global too. :sweatsm:

Anyway, pay by installment so that you get to spread the payment pain. :lovegrin:

well... not 100% agreed.

if you are able to feed yourself and family, then buy. Else don't buy...

well... not 100% agreed.

if you are able to feed yourself and family, then buy. Else don't buy...
But of course. ;)

It will be irresponsible for somebody to buy something using money that hasn't been earned yet, or at the expense of something more important like feeding a family. :cool:

Experience may be a good teacher in this instance. If you can, rent a FF body with the lenses of your choice and spend a few days shooting a variety of subjects alongside your old camera. Shoot both JPEG and RAW and then experiment with post processing.

Failing which, buy a 2nd hand FF body like the older 5D MKI or 1Ds MKI for a decent price, try it out for a while. If you hate it, sell it. Like it? Keep it.

As long as you don't overspend and don't have to do anything morally incorrect, then just buy whatever you want.

'Need' is overrated. We always talk about 'need' when in reality this forum is amok with people who run on 'want'. Why do people buy into a DSLR and have a buttload of lenses in their closet when they can make nice photos with an all-manual 70's SLR and perhaps a 35mm, 50mm and a 200mm prime lens? It's all about 'want'. :bsmilie:

Or more to the point: short of the pros who actually make their living from photography, who actually 'needs' to take pictures? Forget it, don't buy a camera in the first place.

Last edited:
Experience may be a good teacher in this instance. If you can, rent a FF body with the lenses of your choice and spend a few days shooting a variety of subjects alongside your old camera. Shoot both JPEG and RAW and then experiment with post processing.

Failing which, buy a 2nd hand FF body like the older 5D MKI or 1Ds MKI for a decent price, try it out for a while. If you hate it, sell it. Like it? Keep it.

As long as you don't overspend and don't have to do anything morally incorrect, then just buy whatever you want.

'Need' is overrated. We always talk about 'need' when in reality this forum is amok with people who run on 'want'. Why do people buy into a DSLR and have a buttload of lenses in their closet when they can make nice photos with an all-manual 70's SLR and perhaps a 35mm, 50mm and a 200mm prime lens? It's all about 'want'. :bsmilie:

Or more to the point: short of the pros who actually make their living from photography, who actually 'needs' to take pictures? Forget it, don't buy a camera in the first place.

True, people (me including ;p) more often than not 'want', rather than 'need'.
In this case, though, it is a 'need' for their 'want'.
"I want to take pictures, but need better quality pictures".
"Need longer focal length".

whoa, well-said :thumbsup: very well-said.

i think when u have decided to move to FF, just go ahead n dun look back or regret. After you bought ur 1st FF, just enjoy and shoot more. Simple. Actually i tot TS was asking for which FF to recommend, but after going through the post, he is asking if he should move to FF. I think if TS shoots alot and have EF lenses, then moving FF should be quite straight forward. If TS owns mainly EF-S lenses, then moving to FF will be quite costly. So best recommendation to TS is if he feels that his current setup is limiting him in getting better pictures and moving to FF will allow him to achieve that, then obvious moving to FF is the only option. But if its otherwise, i think TS should sit down and calmly think through. currently, FF is not consider mainstream n thus there is a premium to pay to own one. TS should think if its worth it to pay this premium. Hope TS can consider all these before moving to FF. :)

Just google and they'll tell you 90% reasons not to go fullframe,
and then 10% why you should.

In which case the bottom line reason being they are for the pros who require absolute quality cause their livelihood depends on it.
Of course, if you can afford - why not?

Last edited:

By your logic; no one will engage professionals anymore, since they don't need to take pictures. Professionals can't possibly be paying themselves to take pictures mah...

By your logic; no one will engage professionals anymore, since they don't need to take pictures. Professionals can't possibly be paying themselves to take pictures mah...

No lah, what I meant was that pros make a living from their photography. They actually 'need' to take pictures to make a living. Hence they need their gear and in most instances it means the most capable gear available to get the job done and to a high standard.

Amateurs on the other hand have no real 'need' to get the shot. They can really get by with much simpler equipment. Yet many have cameras and lenses far more capable than those the pros use. This is purely because of 'want', whether they're collectors, gadget lovers, too much money (and no better place to spend it) etc.

I think "want" is overrated bro, everyone needs to take photos, and you should take photos with the best equipment you can afford. Honestly speaking , i think everyone "needs" a full frame, because then we can say digital has finally arrived and no more crop this crop that.

Status
Not open for further replies.