any recommendation substitute for 18-200mm lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nagase4

May 10, 2008
hi guys, i'm a new DSLR user. using a D50 with the kit lenses.
the problem is the kit lenses's range is not far enuff and i'm really interested in the 18-200mm but its too expensive.
anyone got any recommendation for cheaper lenses?

buying more equipment will sometime create its own problems, so care to share what subject u shoot most of the time?

hi guys, i'm a new DSLR user. using a D50 with the kit lenses.
the problem is the kit lenses's range is not far enuff and i'm really interested in the 18-200mm but its too expensive.
anyone got any recommendation for cheaper lenses?

if really money is a problem, and since u mentioned u already have the D50 kit lens which is the 18-55, u could go and get the 55-200... this 2 lens will give u 18-200.

of course this is a 2 lens combi and not an all in one solution, but this is the best for low budget.

does the Nikon 18-235mm (D80 kit lenses) considered as a flexible lenses?
jus does not cover as wide a range as 18-200?
is VR really tat important?

does the Nikon 18-235mm (D80 kit lenses) considered as a flexible lenses?
jus does not cover as wide a range as 18-200?
is VR really tat important?

ok.....ur answer to these 2 questions will let us know wat lens to recommend to u...

1) u mentioned that the kit lens 18-55 is too short for u, but what do u want to shoot?

2) VR definitely works, and is without a doubt definitely useful, but if money is a constraint, then bo bian rite? of course technology only helps to a certain extent. With VR, i can handheld at up to abt 1/30 seconds at 200mm. But dun ever ever think that VR is a substitute for tripod. IF u want to shoot night scenes, which needs to shoot at 2 seconds, 10 seconds or 10 minutes, u definitely need a tripod.

Think of it this way: Just take a laser pointer and point it on the wall, are u able to keep the laser still at a fixed point without moving? For me, VR helps by keeping the laser still at a fixed point for 1/30 seconds.

ok.....ur answer to these 2 questions will let us know wat lens to recommend to u...

1) u mentioned that the kit lens 18-55 is too short for u, but what do u want to shoot?

2) VR definitely works, and is without a doubt definitely useful, but if money is a constraint, then bo bian rite? of course technology only helps to a certain extent. With VR, i can handheld at up to abt 1/30 seconds at 200mm. But dun ever ever think that VR is a substitute for tripod. IF u want to shoot night scenes, which needs to shoot at 2 seconds, 10 seconds or 10 minutes, u definitely need a tripod.

Think of it this way: Just take a laser pointer and point it on the wall, are u able to keep the laser still at a fixed point without moving? For me, VR helps by keeping the laser still at a fixed point for 1/30 seconds.

Good evening Kcuf2
tks for replying to my queries.
thing is i'm still new to the photography world and thus i've still not establish wat i really wanna shoot. currently i just going around and shoot, hoping to learn all the basics of photography...

since you are jus starting out, i'd advise against buying any more lens, at least for the time being.

the kit lens is a "standard zoom", and covers most of the general shooting applications.

tele are invaluable in some situations, but requires more careful handling to keep it stable.

but for day-to-day shoot, the kit lens, at approx 18-55 is much more versatile.

happy shooting.

hope to see some of your photos soon!!

Good evening Kcuf2
tks for replying to my queries.
thing is i'm still new to the photography world and thus i've still not establish wat i really wanna shoot. currently i just going around and shoot, hoping to learn all the basics of photography...

ok.... i guess the bess for you in the meantime is to go out and shoot more.. from there perhaps u will eventually find out wat u really love shooting about.

Wat u love/want to shoot will greatly influence what lens/flash/support like tripod that u will want to buy.

1) If u love to shoot human portraits, ur kit lens image quality is pretty good, and ur lens has no problem shooting portraits. However if u wan to get images which shows just the human and the background totally blur out, u will need lenses with big apetures such as 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8. BIG apetures allow u focus on the human face/body and blur out the background.

2) If u love to shoot landscape, scenery, ur kit lens again will do the job pretty well. The focal length of 18-55 covers wide to medium situations. Of course there are more expensive lenses around such as the 17-35 f2.8, 14-28 f2.8. http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=22 These lenses differ in that they have bigger apeture at f2.8 compared to ur kit lens of f3.5-f5.6. Bigger apeture lens helps when shooting at night. Big hole = more light can come in = can shoot at a faster speed = minimize handshake blur

3) If u love to shoot sports, events such as SHE, jolin tsai coming to singapore, concerts, U will need telephoto lenses in the range of 80-200mm, 70-200mm, 55-200mm. At these events, most probably u will be standing abt 30 - 50 metres from the celebrity, and a zoom range of 55-200 or 70-200 allows u to shoot the celebrity from waist level or zoom in further for a head shot. u will also wanna get a flash (range from $200-$700) to shoot for those sparkles in eye effects. http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=22 <-- look at the lenses in the 55-200mm, 80-200mm and 70-200mm range

4) If u love to shoot birds, wildlife or things that are far far away, u will need to get lenses that are minimum 300mm. However when u step into this zone of lenses > 300mm, they are dam freaking expensive. there are cheaper variety around such as this http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=90-e00cd4c502 which cost around $250 in shops, the image quality is poor. In fact the image quality is poorer than ur D50 kit lens. the average performer lenses in these >300mm range cost easily $2k upwards. the elite performing ones are the $10k variants. http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=26 <--- look at the lenses above 300mm

EVEN when u buy the big big lens to shoot, u will also need to think about buying super sturdy tripod to support ur $10k heavy lens (the lens could easily be 3-5kg, ur D50 + kit lens is less than 1kg), these big tripod and again not cheap costing abt $2k-3k for the tripod leg and ball head.

5) If u love to shoot those tiny weeny insects, flower petals, butterflies, u will need macro lenses http://www.nikon.com.sg/products.php?categoryid=27 The more expensive macro lenses are those that are longer focal length example 105mm and 200mm. The longer focal length are important for shooting insects and butterflies because u can shoot at a further distance away without scaring them away. for 60mm, u are about 20cm away from the insect, which is very close (take a ruler and picture how close it is)

And for macro shoot, it is advisable to use dedicated macro flash, http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=828-3330fccebf <--- on the right hand side, click on useful information for the price of Close-up Speedlight Commander Kit R1C1 :SGD$1377.55 yea

so u see wat u love to shoot will require u to have different equipment and setup to ensure u get that perfect shot out.... so wat u love? ;p

i guess at this point of time, its a combination of both human potraits and landscape scenery.

big, beautiful chunks of glass, ultra hi tech flash systems all comes at a price.

but wats priceless?

its the anticipation, joy, and all the stupid mistakes that we make when physically out in the field (or in the studio for some ppl).

i'm thinking of getting the D80 kit lenses 18-135mm to replace my current kit lenses 18-55mm
but is it a good idea?
need some advise...
oh and tks everyone for ur kind replies
=)

18-135?

good idea!!!!!!

i'm thinking of getting the D80 kit lenses 18-135mm to replace my current kit lenses 18-55mm
but is it a good idea?
need some advise...
oh and tks everyone for ur kind replies
=)

You're better off not to get a long zoom. 5 times (like an 18-90mm) would be the maximum I would go and it would still be expensive to get the right one. Anything longer than 5 times and you'll get degraded image quality, which may or may not be useful to you.

Buy a lens that starts around 50mm minimum, if you want a telephoto zoom. You'll save money and you'll get better image quality. It's not as convenient, but you should learn how to use your lenses.

i guess at this point of time, its a combination of both human potraits and landscape scenery.

Actually, there is such a thing called physical zoom.....by using your legs to move forward and back...:bsmilie:

Before I got the 18-200mmVR, I mostly just use the 18-55mm, and I take travel, my children and landscape.

If you really like the 18-200, then save up and get it. No point getting any other kit lenses. I love my 18-200mm VR. Its mostly on my camera. Worth the wait.

I had a Zuiko 18-180 lens and have been using it most of the time. Especially when you are traveling, it comes handy. I used to have the kit lens, 14-42 and 40-150 which can cover 14-150 basically, but i find it troublesome to change in a middle of a shoot. The one 18-180mm is able to give me what I need to shoot most of the time.

Of course...when you are traveling, you can bring a 18-180 lens, wide angle lens and macro lens to cover most of the subjects you want..

i think i would prefer 18-200mm rather than 16-85...
hehe

alternatively, a 28-200 though it misses the wide angle , or a 70-300/70-200mm lens :)

nagase4.. you've caught the "BBB" virus! haha ! i was in your shoe too, d50 and kit lens. took me a long time before getting other lens.

try the buy and sell forum, look out for those lenses , 70-300 aint so bad

haha...'BBB" is 'buy buy buy' huh?
lol...i think i'll probably save up for the 18-200mm lenses...
hehe

haha...'BBB" is 'buy buy buy' huh?
lol...i think i'll probably save up for the 18-200mm lenses...
hehe

Standing aside and saving up is actually a good plan as well :thumbsup:

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.