Any Recommendation for Micro Hifi $400-$800

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you find your Musical Fidelity DAC?

It's the X-DAC. Pretty comparable with my Rotel RCD-971 CD Player after I replaced the output opamps with BB OPA2228. :) (My RCD-971 opamps are also replaced with OPA2228, originally was OPA2604.)

Wow, how much did this setup cost you? Musical Fidelity products are quite ex.

KRK Rokit 5 is under $500 a pair. The Akai player is under $60. Can't remember how much I got the X-DAC for but it's already quite old, since it's just lying around, I thought I'd use it. Many DVD players have decent DACs, so in actual fact you could just hook the DVD player directly to the speaker and still get something decent. :)

In fact, I have another cheapo Akira DVD-2102SE which sounds very beautiful after I changed the output opamps to BB OPA2228. Could hardly tell the difference when I A/Bed the outputs vs the MF X-DAC with normal CDs. Difference only becomes evident when I played HDCD content. ;p

Last edited:
It's the X-DAC. Pretty comparable with my Rotel RCD-971 CD Player

To be very frank, I do not have much liking for Musical Fidelity products, especially their amps. To me, they sound harsh and unrefined. That is why I ask you about their DAC, if it is any better. :)

Last edited:
To be very frank, I do not have much like for Musical Fidelity products, especially their amps. To me, they sound harsh and unrefined. That is why I ask you about their DAC, if it is any better. :)

I didn't like it stock, yes it was a little harsh and coloured if I recall correctly. I think they used TL072 or NE5532 (can't quite remember) for the output opamps. I started to love it after I changed them. So I guess it isn't really MF anymore. ;p

Last edited:
I didn't like it stock, yes it was a little harsh and coloured if I recall correctly.

That is what I have suspected all along. :)

Musical Fidelity products are neither musical nor high-fidelity.

That is what I have suspected all along. :)

Musical Fidelity products are neither musical nor high-fidelity.
Well.. I didn't realy audition them first when I bought it because I trust the HDCD chip and the Burr-Brown DACs used. Unfortunately; it was marred by the lousy output opamps. The PCB routing is horrible though.. I'm pretty sure I did a better job with an amplifier project in my undergrad days. The traces for each channel wasn't as symmetrical as I would hope for.. but good thing they sounded decent after the opamp change. Only thing nice is the housing.. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.