Any recommendation for good Digital Camera?

ambersiow

Sep 1, 2011
Hi, I am looking for a digital camera more for taking scenary, able to produce good night photo. I am not very familar on what are the specifications that I shd look out for and the more I read the review the more confused I am:bigeyes:. I have shortlisted the following cameras, does anyone know which camera I shd consider buying?

1. Nikon Coolpix P300
2. Olympus XZ-1
3. Canon S95
4. Canon SX230HS

Thanks in advance. :)

Hi, I am looking for a digital camera more for taking scenary, able to produce good night photo. I am not very familar on what are the specifications that I shd look out for and the more I read the review the more confused I am:bigeyes:. I have shortlisted the following cameras, does anyone know which camera I shd consider buying?

1. Nikon Coolpix P300
2. Olympus XZ-1
3. Canon S95
4. Canon SX230HS

Frankly... all of them are good. Please read the size of their sensor. If I were you, I would shortlist my choice to Olympus XZ-1 and S95. For night shoot, the bigger the sensor the better it is (in terms of noise control)

In short:

XZ-1 - 1/1.63 inch
S95 - 1/1.7 inch
P300 - 1/2.33"
SX230HS - 1/2.3"

Do look into other brands such as Panasonic LX5 - 1/1.63 inch. For scenery (except for low light and night scenery - which again come back to sensor size for noise control, unless you have a tripod then you can afford for very long exposure so can set at low ISO), all these cameras are pretty alright.

Last edited:
Thank you for ur advise. I will zoom in to Olympus to try out the camera at comex.

Thank you for ur advise. I will zoom in to Olympus to try out the camera at comex.

Er... please don't buy there. The price will not be cheaper in comex and the freebies they throw in are junks (unless they wanted to give you a dry cabinet). I would suggest that you go down to the shops in Funan (recommended shops), MS color and Cathay Photos and Orient Photo in Sim Lim to look and test the camera. Please call them up first to get a quotation and available stock.

not necessary to go comex. you can go funan and try? or courts or any mega store? not so crowded also haha

Sad to say the price at MS color is not really that attractive now...

Personally I think slrr and tk better now..

Can try TK at Funan.
Price is competitive enough.
Just dun go to the shop near the escalator(the one tat is outside funan) tat goes up to 2nd flr frm.
Yesterday almost kato by them. Lucky ask ard b4 commit.

Wow... Thanks for the many helpful suggestions. I will go funan and check it out.

1. Nikon Coolpix P300
2. Olympus XZ-1
3. Canon S95
4. Canon SX230HS

These are all higher end P&S catered for photography enthuaists, i.e. you have the option of not just pointing and shooting because they have manual controls.

2 is really the odd one out here, I think it is a lot less pocketable than the others. Personally I would recommend it though, it has a fast lens which expands your options, the noise control is good, and as others have pointed out, due to the larger sensor size it will have marginally better image quality for high ISOs.

That said, all the cameras here will be able to produce quality pictures given the right know-how. The issue frankly, is whether you like the handling of each camera - and my suggestion for that is to try out these cameras in the shops to see if you like the feel.

lord54 said:
Can try TK at Funan.
Price is competitive enough.
Just dun go to the shop near the escalator(the one tat is outside funan) tat goes up to 2nd flr frm.
Yesterday almost kato by them. Lucky ask ard b4 commit.

Yap. It's true.. Some shop has bad reputation. It is all over clubsnap...

Just to update to all your kind suggestions. I have bought the Olympus XZ-1 at Funan. Slightly cheaper than Comex with less freebies. To me I find the service is good so I don mind. Quite happy with the purchase. :vhappy::vhappy:

Good for you! Enjoy your new camera and take lots of photo :)

1. Nikon Coolpix P300
2. Olympus XZ-1
3. Canon S95
4. Canon SX230HS

It depend what you want and the brand cos the spending is in your hands.

Just to update to all your kind suggestions. I have bought the Olympus XZ-1 at Funan. Slightly cheaper than Comex with less freebies. To me I find the service is good so I don mind. Quite happy with the purchase. :vhappy::vhappy:

enjoy!
take more photos and post on Clubsnap!

Olympus XZ-1 is okay. I have a Canon S95 because of its compact-ness. Not that I don't value quality, but depending on your needs and budget. If you wanna good quality and don't mind heavy and bulkiness, go for the highest DSLR you can afford. If you want to travel with ease, get a S95. I left my D3S at home and only bring out my S95 for travel because I value the vacation and the people I hang out with, more than the horrible experience of a heavy tripod with a heavy DSLR and a heavy flash. If I'm out of good shots, I torture myself by carrying all these ****.

1. Nikon Coolpix P300
2. Olympus XZ-1
3. Canon S95
4. Canon SX230HS

I have just placed an order for the P300 over the internet with B&H and expect to receive it by latest by early next week.

Got it primarily for digiscoping. Attaching it with a Nikon FSB-8 adaptor to a Nikon 82mm ED spotting scope w/30x DS wide angle eyepiece.