any reco for a newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chitose

May 2, 2008
hi ppl here! im new into this community and even to photography. before hand i was using a normal digi cam... now im planning of buying a dslr.. so can any kind soul give me a reco on which brand and model to buy? anyway how you guys find sony a350? thx for the helping hand :)

For basic model.... there's -
Canon 450D
Nikon D60
Sony A350

Suggest you go and try each model with your own hand and see which one you like.... then consider price, and other stuffs.

Goodluck :thumbsup:

I am also a newbie and I got myself Canon 450D from John 3:16 $1350, together with the Prime lens for 50mm $130

Now, it is the get-to-know-you camera session!

Enjoy ;)

Consider Pentax K200D too.

Its a good start with weather-sealed body. :)

ahhhhhh ok thx alot for the info. at 1st i was thinking of sony a350 or D40 but seems u guys will take D60. well think i will go hand on the few and see which will suit me better. last but nt lest thx!!!! ^^

hi ppl here! im new into this community and even to photography. before hand i was using a normal digi cam... now im planning of buying a dslr.. so can any kind soul give me a reco on which brand and model to buy? anyway how you guys find sony a350? thx for the helping hand :)

do you have.. any idea of what you want?

because the list can go on and on.. and with such specific demands that you have, this is the list i can present to you, along with second-hand market choices

nikon d40
nikon d40x
nikon d50
nikon d60
nikon d70
nikon d70x
nikon d80
nikon d100
nikon d200
nikon d300
nikon d3
canon 300d
canon 350d
canon 400d
canon 450d
canon 20d
canon 30d
canon 40d
canon mark ii
canon mark iii
canon 5d
olympus e400
olympus e410
olympus e420
olympus e500
olympus e510
olympus e3
sony a100
sony a250
sony a350
sony a700
pentax istD series
pentax k100d
pentax k200d
pentax k10d
pentax k20d

still got a lot more, but those might be a tad too ancient. herein lies the moral of the story:

ask a headless chicken question, get a headless chicken answer. here you see 3 different replies to your initial post, all giving different answers. and one more which seems to give all 3 in the same post :bsmilie:

lol.. that's really specific..

to threadstarter.. for a start you might want to let us know what's your budget.. coz without a budget (or rather.. an infinite budget).. i'd say go get the nikon d3 / canon 1ds mkiii or something.. (who says newbies cannot buy top end cameras?! :D :D)

ok that was a joke.. anyway.. each brand and model offers something at its price point.. be it image quality.. size.. weight.. functions.. etc etc etc etc etc etc.. you gotta know what you want.. what you need.. and what are nice to haves..

Follow your heart,

Follow your Intuition.

Feel e camera.

Test it.

Which one do you feel an affinity for?

And once you buy it.

Learn to love it more.

Familiarise its strengths and weaknesses.

Like a human, not one is perfect.

So please, stick with your choice.

And not complain about it.

Learn to compensate for its limitations.

Go out with it, shoot more.

And may the love develop!:heart:

Hi there, i am new to DSLR too! Bought my Canon 40D today only!

Found quite alot of useful camera review videos on www.cameralabs.com or you can search youtube "Cameralabs". Can find review of the Nikon D60, D80, Canon 400D, 450D, 40D (my choice) and many more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbppTQfuJ8M

I found it really useful, hope will help you.

A personal recommendation for a place to buy your camera, you can try T K Foto Trading at Shaw Towers, Beach Road, i bought my camera there, i am very happy with what they have to offer (pricing and service). I am sure you can get some help there!

yup i undertstand.... so far i have try out D60 n a350.. like both of them. will go try out n gather info before i buy lol.... anyway u guys think is it must to go for course? anyway u guys here go for course too? if got any which u guys think its gd?

You have to consider the prices of the lense too.

yup i undertstand.... so far i have try out D60 n a350.. like both of them. will go try out n gather info before i buy lol.... anyway u guys think is it must to go for course? anyway u guys here go for course too? if got any which u guys think its gd?

Course? hmmm..I attended one by Julian W. at the Sony Workshop, But it's pretty ex.. I normally go to workshops to ask for trainer's advice, not to listen to their lessons because there are alot of technical information given in most courses can actually be found on the net too. visiting CS forums are a good way to kick start your learning in photography.

Since you have experience from consumer cameras, I believe you will find the live view useful. IIRC, only Canon, Sony & Olympus has live view on their cam. Go try them out to see which you prefer. The comfort and button layouts are very important, see which is more comfortable to your hands and when doing test shots, make sure the settings are the same. I ever brought a friend to buy a small compact cam and the sales man recommended another popular brand although my friend has her mind set on another. When doing the test shots I realised that the one recommended by the salesman was indeed better than the one my friend chose. When I took the cams from her to meddle with them, I found that the settings were not the same, hence, the results very different. After I reset the cam to the same setting, it was very clear that the one my friend had in mind was indeed much better compared to the one the sales man recommended. So don't be affected by the salesman, they are mostly driven by commission.

As for the course, it would be good to attend too. As a newbie, I do benefit from the course by Julian. The course is very interesting and fun and will involve some practical as well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.